Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1452728 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #360 on: January 30, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »
Mike, the top picture shows an old style two piece wheel. They are killers, literally. Don't have anything to do with them.

Race car three piece wheels feature many bolts holding them together and are a totally different construction. The wheels you are referencing were probably a special order custom built item. The engineering involved in a multi part wheel where the rim is in two separate parts will be very extensive. The combination of high pressures combined with shock loads can create a rather serious bomb.

Pete

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #362 on: January 30, 2014, 10:42:40 PM »
While we are talking about widow makers, Don't weld on rims with tires mounted on them even if they have no air in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uScd7nFzfQE

notice the tire blows up after the welding is done.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline tauruck

« Reply #363 on: January 31, 2014, 12:27:41 AM »
Charlie Timmons, Tom Burkland and Bobby Moore told me that the wheels on the Maro were BBS outers mounted on custom centres.

OK, so what you're all saying is that we shouldn't weld those two piece rims?

I get it.

Tom Burkland has advised that I get Titan Wheel SA to roll me sets of narrower wheels so I'll speak to them today.

Rex from Wheelsmith got back to me last night and I honestly can't afford his wheels. I know they would be perfect in every respect but with our exchange rate and shipping I'd have to sell the house. :-D

MRT has yet to quote but based on the info Brant sent I think we could afford their wheels.

This is the learning curve and at first I was annoyed at how difficult getting wheels was. Now, I'm learning and looking forward to all the challenges.

One thing is certain. With all the help and advice I get from you guys the wheels that go onto the car will be the right ones.

Imagine me trying to do this on my own?. :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #364 on: January 31, 2014, 03:59:50 AM »
BINGO!!!!!!

I wanted to buy blank outer rims from Metaforge and one thig led to another.

I get ziss call from Markus Glumb, who iss ziss Chermann guy who has 15 x 4.5  and 18 x 6 outer rimzzz und I haff to go zee him Monday zo vee can start to make ze wheels to spek. :-D :-D :-D

He gave me the rundown on how the wheel is made with the custom centre being CNCd and a whole lot of other processes.

He knows his stuff and he's going to manufacture 8 wheels.

I'll post pics on Monday.

There's a book deal looming. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #366 on: February 01, 2014, 12:02:41 AM »
  Mike, That's hilarious!
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline tauruck

« Reply #367 on: February 01, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »
So what you're saying is that I shouldn't use him?????. :evil:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2014, 02:59:28 AM »
Mike, those guys are pseudohillbillies.  The proper way to make wide wheels is to use two old wheels for each new one.  Cut one wheel's flange as close to the middle as possible.  Cut the other's flange as close to the outside as you can.  You will have one wide and one narrow middle section.  There will be one wide and one narrow outer section.  Weld the wide inner to the wide outer.  With just one weld, you have a wide wheel, as ANY backwoods mechanic knows how to do.     

Offline tauruck

« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2014, 05:44:13 AM »
Hey Bo, my garden furniture used be my lounge furniture.

I'm off to Boys Town to meet the youngsters.
I'm stoked. Mommy will drive, I'll read the March 2012 edition of Hot Rod. :-D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #370 on: February 01, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »
We got there and back safely.

Met a good bunch of kids and there are 35 that want to assist on the project.

We can only take seven but it's not my decision.

It was a good time and both Riaan and I are looking forward to working with them.

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #371 on: February 01, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »
Very cool.  Good on ya!  :cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #372 on: February 02, 2014, 12:09:34 AM »
Thanks man.

I was a liitle sad when I heard some of the stories.
I though most guys were there for reasons other than what I was told.
The staff are a little jaded I think.
Something good will come out of this for sure.
Riaan is a father, I'm not. My experience in dealing with young guys comes from being an instructor in the military. Same deal, different circumstances.
The missus supplied a bunch of vitamins sponsored by the company she works for.
All in all it was a great day and I really enjoyed the drive out into the country. These guys live in a paradise. The bird life is awesome and the hills around the facility are a fantastic site.

They could have been stuck in a concrete block like Riaan said. It's not all bad but having Riaan involved is a big win. He didn't have to do it and his commitment is a sure sign that the liner is going to be a success Boys Town aside.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #373 on: February 02, 2014, 12:40:54 AM »
Breakfast time at Springfield Flyer HQ.

Pierre is the dude. He hangs out with Jack Russells and is first in the chow line.

He waltzed up the driveway a few weeks ago and won't leave. Chickens aren't something we see in our neighbourhood so we have no idea where he came from.
He looked kinda French so the name stuck. The dogs got one warning and have left him alone since.

If Zee had her way we'd have our own safari park. She once brought an endangered species home but I made here take it back where she found it. Could have got us both locked up. :-D

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #374 on: February 02, 2014, 10:51:32 AM »
  Mike,
 If you ever get to the Salt it would be cool if some of your "Crew" could attend ,too. Every Speed Week some of the schools in the Salt Lake area bring bus' loaded with kids to the Salt for the experience of a lifetime. We always try to take time to show them around the car and let as many as want to sit in the car. After that, they are hooked. One of the most enjoyable parts of the week for us, too.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]