Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1452648 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #3495 on: July 07, 2020, 01:04:14 PM »
Hey guys. My apologies for being away for so long. Thanks for all the wishes. God Bless you.

I'm not working on the long car because I'm trying to generate an income to fund it.
The easy stuff like body work is first on the list because I have the materials.
With lock down I couldn't get the intake manifold to Dunc for welding but the race shop is up and running
now so he said I could bring the runners and plates over anytime. Good kid just like his father.
In all honesty there's not that much to do when I look back at how far I got in a short time to where the liner is now.

I feel like the whole thing might not happen when it comes to tires. Our currency is at it's lowest ever and to buy
the MT rubber I need is impossible IMO. Some guy I met said to build the car and when it's painted and looks like the real thing
a sponsor will come. Sage advice but I'm not sure if some sponsor is going to part with a quarter million for tires???.

The virus did a number on all of us. I just hope you're all safe and healthy???.
Saturday is D Day here. We're tidying up the shop. That will improve the vibe and many lost parts will be found.

As for the ponies, I don't have contact with family but heard they're cranking out winners since the tracks reopened. 3 winners a meeting and I heard Paul was #1 in the country since. Catch you all later.🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3496 on: July 07, 2020, 01:18:54 PM »
Mikey!!! Good to hear from you!..Patti and I are hoping for a vaccine for this non-sense soon so you can take us on safari. Regards,JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3497 on: July 07, 2020, 02:19:29 PM »
It is nice to read from you and see that you are doing OK.  Like you, I stopped the build for awhile and am doing major house repairs.  Rose and me have been on lockdown since the last day in February.  It is driving me crazy.  A long road trip is the first item on the to-do list after getting the vaccine.  Is that $250,000 USD for tires?   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3498 on: July 08, 2020, 04:02:00 AM »
Hey Jerry, I thought you forgot about me!!!!! :-D

That's in South African currency. R17.42/USD plus shipping on 8 tires.
Crazy world. During apartheid in the early 70s when we were the scum of the earth it was $2.50/R1.
I have books here I paid 99c for that are labelled $2.50. Petersen Publications.
Not a racist but I think the ANC government pulled a move because they were afraid the white dudes would emigrate
in 93 and take their bucks out of the country.

Racing is for the rich and not the passionate!!!!!

Glad to hear that you and Rose are OK!!!. You'll get through it brother. God Bless you and thanks for being a buddy.🙏

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #3499 on: July 08, 2020, 07:48:32 PM »
Hey, Mike, how close are you to completing the liner, less tires? If you get the car in paint, no one will see what tires you have on it in a car show because they are enclosed. Who knows, maybe a patron will want to get involved. Gotta get that car in front of as many people as possible.

John

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3500 on: July 09, 2020, 06:14:04 AM »
Got those tires from Marlo that he sent. MT said it was wheelspin that wrecked them but Marlo is not the Village idiot and had them checked. It turned out the rubber was removed from the mold too soon. Freud, God Bless him organised to ship them to me to use for setup.
They hold air so all I need to find is some 15" fronts with the right profile.

That's the only option like you say. We'll go that route thanks John.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #3501 on: July 09, 2020, 12:53:18 PM »
Don't t hold your breath Mike...But I DID buy a Powerball ticket :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3502 on: July 09, 2020, 11:30:23 PM »
Jerry, when you get ready to go visit Mike let me know... I might want to go with you... especially if you win the lottery  :-D  :laugh:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3503 on: July 10, 2020, 08:25:36 AM »
I do get lucky as you all know. You're both welcome anytime.
BTW, I found out I'm called Grumpy behind my back!!!!!!!!
What an honor!. :wink: :wink:

Offline floydjer

« Reply #3504 on: July 10, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »
Hey Grumpy...get to work. Robert..2 planes? Can  you imagine a 12 hour flight listening to MY views on the world?? :-o

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3505 on: July 10, 2020, 10:19:35 AM »
Jerry, get my ticket in Business Class.... yours in steerage, the flight attendant will limit our interaction  :laugh:
Mike, how did that go in the movie.... build it and they will come...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3506 on: July 10, 2020, 12:43:34 PM »
I do get lucky as you all know. You're both welcome anytime.
BTW, I found out I'm called Grumpy behind my back!!!!!!!!
What an honor!. :wink: :wink:
Mikey - that's lots better than Dopey!  :?
Glad your back at it!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3507 on: July 11, 2020, 01:03:34 AM »
Thanks guys. I should really spend as much time on the forum as I used to but I feel like a jerk for not having any progress pics to show.
Things will change.
I enjoy the giggles. You all rock.👍👍👍👊👊👊👊

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #3508 on: July 11, 2020, 09:11:59 AM »
Mike:  It comes in waves of enthusiasm. Sometimes a lull is needed to regroup and rethink. At the end of the day its a home engineered and hand built liner by one guy. It is going to take a long time. If you are thinking about it in your down time you are making progress.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3509 on: September 04, 2020, 09:12:35 PM »
I'm still here. Working my fingers to the bone to earn bucks for the long car. The dream turned into a nightmare so I walked away due to the tire prices.
I have faith something will come. Back into building stuff for race teams and the head of Bilstein SA is connected so he's sending work. It's 3.07 and an hour ago I finished a 16 hour job so guys can go testing brake ducts on an iconic car.

I'm so busy on crazy stuff but my manifold is being welded up this week. I guess that will fire up the juices. This race car work is a huge thing and I'm Blessed so maybe I can buy one MT at a time. Not giving up. Thanks guys. Be safe and stay healthy.