Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1458606 times)

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #345 on: January 29, 2014, 01:17:15 AM »
Mike

Try Bob Sage @The Wheel Smith
http://www.thewheelsmith.net/

I'm fairly certain he can build 18" wheels.

I've bought all my wheels from him for 20+ years and currently run his 15's on the roadster.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline tauruck

« Reply #346 on: January 29, 2014, 05:30:55 AM »
Thanks Skip, I tried but there's no email address there.
I asked the holding Company? for their email but haven't heard yet. :cheers:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #347 on: January 29, 2014, 11:32:22 AM »
M E Miller (www.millertire.com)tire has 18 X 5.5 rims you could put your centers in. Look under wheels, then tractor/implement front. Don't know if these would work for you, just a thought.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #348 on: January 29, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
Mike, What ever rims you go with make sure they can take the air pressures of an LSR tire.  Some of the manufacturers I talked to thought I was crazy when it old them the air pressure of 80 -120 lbs of a LSR tire. One of the things the high pressure does is to keep the tires from pulling in at speed when the tire starts to crown.  You might also want to think of double bead locks.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline tauruck

« Reply #349 on: January 29, 2014, 12:05:30 PM »
M E Miller (www.millertire.com)tire has 18 X 5.5 rims you could put your centers in. Look under wheels, then tractor/implement front. Don't know if these would work for you, just a thought.

Ron

Ron, I checked them out yesterday and found outers for $74 so it got me thinking about local so I contacted two wheel manufacturers, Titan and Global wheels.
Global hasn't come back but Titan has front and rear outers that are a little too wide but are potentials if we get into some engineering. The rear is $61 and front $50.

The hunt goes on and I'm getting close. Thanks for the advice, every bit helps. :cheers:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #350 on: January 29, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »
The way wheel rims are made could be changed a little. I think it's all a matter of how the forming rollers are adjusted. Maybe one of the locals could SPONSOR you and make a set of the thickness you need (per Tony's post) and size. You've had very good luck finding sponsors. :-D

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #351 on: January 29, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »
On the wheels, call Wheel Smith in Corona CA 1-800-854-8937  or 1-951-898-6514.
 Talk to Rex he can bend the centers on a 15"x4.5" wheel to a 4" back spacing. 
 email;  rex@thewheelsmith.net

Richard 2 
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline tauruck

« Reply #352 on: January 29, 2014, 11:23:14 PM »
I emailed Rex just now. Thanks Richard. :cheers:

Hey Ron, I'm working on something and I have been lucky but I might be running out of talent.
I'm in the bigs now. :-D

What made things easy for sponsors was that they had the product on the shelf and I organised the shipping.

Theo, the original sponsor was going to machine a set of billet wheels but TIA (This Is Africa) and the material isn't available in the OD we need.
I got the biggest Aluminum foundry in Africa to come on board but they didn't want to spring for a 20 ton import order just to build 4 wheels. "And I thought they were nice Guys!!!" :evil:
MRT can do the wheels and my contact there, Brant is waiting for backspace and hub dimensions from me. If LSR was easy everybody would be doing it Right?.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #353 on: January 30, 2014, 11:35:38 AM »
I found a wheel solution locally.

Why I didn't Google "truck rims" before I'll never know.

This company sells outers, 2 piece outers, dished centres and will build the wheels with some high tech equipment they have.
The guy said I might not want his wheels because they're heavy. :-D

$30 for the two piece 15" outer and $40 for the 18".

We're going over on Monday to give them the backspacing and hub sizes.
By all accounts I might just have to put a few decals on the car and transporter.

Offline Tman

« Reply #354 on: January 30, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »
If that fails we can get you to the right folks over here.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #355 on: January 30, 2014, 02:46:09 PM »
Mikey, don't think you can use two piece wheels.  check the rulebook, I'm not near mine but I don't think split rims are allowed.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #356 on: January 30, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »
   Mike,
  Those two piece wheels are known in the trade as "Widow Makers". Not allowed to even mount tires on them. We are using 18X4 wheels. They are Nissan Murano spare tire wheels. We will put in our own centers. Lots of them on Ebay.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Tman

« Reply #357 on: January 30, 2014, 03:54:31 PM »
Vintage tractor suppliers sell really nice 18" hoops in narrow sizes. I think it was Udo here that had some killer centeres lazer cut that I would copy if I was starting fresh.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #358 on: January 30, 2014, 04:14:09 PM »
Bobby Moore used three piece wheels on the Maro special so I think they are legal for liners.

In my case I'm going to use these heavy duty truck outers and the wheel manufacturer is going to weld in the centres.

The rims are the same type that Millertire sells.

I'm going to see the wheels Monday and we'll make a decision.

Offline Tman

« Reply #359 on: January 30, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »
Bobby Moore used three piece wheels on the Maro special so I think they are legal for liners.

In my case I'm going to use these heavy duty truck outers and the wheel manufacturer is going to weld in the centres.

The rims are the same type that Millertire sells.

I'm going to see the wheels Monday and we'll make a decision.

If they are the ones Miller has they are the same repops I was talking about in my last post.