Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1458434 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 11:51:40 PM »
Bo, the guy that used to do my stuff coiled a 2" square tube for a spiral staircase. 6m length in one go. He did have 40 years in the game and CNC equipment. I was just reading about LSRJunkie hitting the wall on work he was doing. I also had problems today but luckily I got through it. I used up 3 front roll cage hoops before I finally got the length right. It's a good thing I had extras bent up. Note to self. Always tackle the difficult jobs in the morning when you're still fresh!!!.

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 01:55:02 AM »
Wow, now that's progress. You can't build it strong enough, overkill is your friend. Looking fantastic.

Skip
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline tauruck

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
Skip, you're so right. Rex also said the same thing about all the strengthening. On this one I will hang out with Mr. Overkill. I got some more work done today. I did have the morning off for a meeting with Pulp Films about the documentary they might do on the project. I'm serious about this car and I build in my head while lying in bed at night. The next morning I know exactly what the plan of action is. I never go out and hate traffic so when I got home it took a while to readjust. This other stuff breaks the concentration. I've got the top hoop of the cage in place and mostly welded. It's a dual piece with two braces. I also added another support bar between the the front and rear hoops. The cage will get a 2mm plate over it with some holes in it to make it look sporty. :-D.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 11:45:55 AM »
The support bars. Two per side!!!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 11:48:20 AM »
The right side is done and tomorrow I start with the left. My intention is to have that done by Sunday.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
A few more from different angles.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »
Last one. We went from winter to summer overnight here. Spring never even showed. It's boiling hot and I have to wait for the summer blend hardener for the Epoxy. The current stuff will cure while being mixed at these temps. I have a few trick pieces I want to make. BTW, I finished the Carbon oil pan. I think it came out great and I'll put up pics of it in the AM. I've never had such a good time building anything before and my gut tells me that this is the "one". :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Geo

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »
Looks good Mikey! I like the way you made the rays of the joint angles meet to prevent folds and bends, weakness areas. in the cage.  That takes a great amount of planning and work to do!  :cheers:

PM me your address so I can send a replacement banner for that Miller one.  I think I have a Welcome Race Fans I can send, don't remember the brand. Can't have the place missing important motivational info for the students.

Geo

Offline tauruck

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 02:07:57 PM »
Hey Geo, I appreciate what you're saying about the chassis but I can't take the credit for the design. It's Tom Hannah. I based mine on the Maro Special he built for Bobby Moore. Thanks for the offer on the banner. The students don't need to see the one I have, don't want them getting ideas. It's gone in the morning. I'll email you on the Jag dash later.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
Some days you work like crazy and get nowhere. Not today. Gee, I can't believe how smooth it went. I got two uprights and six cross braces in. Looks good and I'll sleep like a puppy tonight. Three pics. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »
Last one of the left side. Not long now.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2013, 02:25:44 AM »
Don't put too many bars on there.  You need to get in an out.  That truss work looks to be real strong.  Is the idea to brace your cockpit so it is will not bend and to make the rest of the car weaker so it crumples during a crash and absorbs energy?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2013, 08:47:10 AM »
When I was a kid I read this. "If you build a cage, throw a chicken in there and if it gets out add more bars!". This came from American hot rodders. :-D :-D :-D
 No Bo, I've copied another car because Tom Hanna built it and it's strong. The idea is probably for it to break off behind the cage but I also don't have the know how about how it all works. I'll say one thing, cutting the pipes to fit is a chore. I'm getting there and I just love this car. I've got blinders on and all I can see is the finish line.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »
You may want to fill all the holes with plates or just put .060 - .090 sheet bottom, sides, front and back.  Also consider putting it over the top of the head cage.  It will protect you from anything coming in on you during an incident.
Put a bar in 4 inches below your shoulders to mount your seat belts... you want those as short as possible. 

Put on a firesuit, hans and helmet and climb in and out prior to placing the bars across the top for a dash.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2013, 11:09:22 AM »
Thanks Bob, will do and I hope you're feeling better. I wrote this long reply with a bunch of pics I just shot. I got an error message that the images had already been posted. I just took them????
         No chassis and bars pics today. You guys must be sick of them.
Here's the oil pan. Galleys bonded in, extra Carbon on the inside and a lick of the special clear coat. The filter housings get bonded on the inside and the filters install from the outside and kept in position by the female fitting. I'll weld the fitting onto the flange over the weekend.