Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1457306 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #2985 on: July 06, 2017, 08:49:30 PM »
Wayno,  sometimes I read between the lines, sometimes not.
I could sure use some friendship here right now.
Willie hasn't got much going on so he's been coming around
with a 16 pack during the day. Actually they're selling 16 Carling Black Label for R108/$12.
I don't drink beer but I have this deal with him where I'll have one for the boys (vets). :cheers:

Cool to have a buddy around while i'm working. Sanding the engine cover plug, painting on
Epoxy, sanding the high spots, filling the low spots, you know how it goes???. We decided to take a pick 6
yesterday but the off course tote closed down here.  Good thing we only found four winners!!!!!!.
Would love my buddy to have some real money in his pocket again.

The engine cover is looking good but I won't be making molds. Going to try something new.
Hard to describe without photos at this stage but I'll be using the plug as a male mold and after
bonding a flat board along the base and one vertical out front with a 2"lip for vacuum bag tape. I'll
coat the part with release agent and add a layer of peel ply followed by 4 layers of fabric and afurther layer of peel ply.

After vacuum forming I'm hoping to get a very even surface that will make the painters life easier. The trick will be to get the resin
on and the bag in place before it starts going off!!!!!. I won't be using Epoxy but a Vinylester system that can handle 240*C for 8 hours.
Cheaper and better suited to the application but you need to be the fastest laminator around, this stuff waits for no one. 
I'll lay up the fabric to within an inch of the outer edge of the board which will give the part good stiffness for demolding and a lip for
the tape when I bond the Nomex honeycomb on the inside after removing the peel ply.

I'll definitely post pics of each stage so you get an idea of the processes.  By my calculations my method should be more affordable
than the alternative. Making Epoxy molds for a 40' car and having to store them. Where do you find space for that?.

If i'm really careful we can use the foam plug of the liner painted like the real thing at trade shows etc. That's the idea anyway.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2986 on: July 06, 2017, 09:23:36 PM »
Mike:

Keep at it. Enjoy the posts. Wow 200 pages of posts!

BR

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2987 on: July 06, 2017, 09:43:02 PM »
Thanks Bill. I never realized it was that many.
It's been great even with all the whining on my part.
I won't give up.  God Bless. :cheers:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2988 on: July 06, 2017, 11:30:24 PM »
Mike, I was just jumping on the Family=Tired of us gag.  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #2989 on: July 07, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
Wayno,  sometimes I read between the lines, sometimes not.
I could sure use some friendship here right now.
Willie hasn't got much going on so he's been coming around
with a 16 pack during the day. Actually they're selling 16 Carling Black Label for R108/$12.
I don't drink beer but I have this deal with him where I'll have one for the boys (vets). :cheers:

Cool to have a buddy around while i'm working. Sanding the engine cover plug, painting on
Epoxy, sanding the high spots, filling the low spots, you know how it goes???. We decided to take a pick 6
yesterday but the off course tote closed down here.  Good thing we only found four winners!!!!!!.
Would love my buddy to have some real money in his pocket again.

The engine cover is looking good but I won't be making molds. Going to try something new.
Hard to describe without photos at this stage but I'll be using the plug as a male mold and after
bonding a flat board along the base and one vertical out front with a 2"lip for vacuum bag tape. I'll
coat the part with release agent and add a layer of peel ply followed by 4 layers of fabric and afurther layer of peel ply.

After vacuum forming I'm hoping to get a very even surface that will make the painters life easier. The trick will be to get the resin
on and the bag in place before it starts going off!!!!!. I won't be using Epoxy but a Vinylester system that can handle 240*C for 8 hours.
Cheaper and better suited to the application but you need to be the fastest laminator around, this stuff waits for no one. 
I'll lay up the fabric to within an inch of the outer edge of the board which will give the part good stiffness for demolding and a lip for
the tape when I bond the Nomex honeycomb on the inside after removing the peel ply.

I'll definitely post pics of each stage so you get an idea of the processes.  By my calculations my method should be more affordable
than the alternative. Making Epoxy molds for a 40' car and having to store them. Where do you find space for that?.

If i'm really careful we can use the foam plug of the liner painted like the real thing at trade shows etc. That's the idea anyway.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Have you ever tried vacuum resin infusion? It gives you as long as you want to get your fabric laid out and then puts the exact amount of resin required into it.

http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/ts111-cam-chain-tensioner-wear-after-70-000-miles-primary-inspection-too.185777/

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2990 on: July 07, 2017, 12:15:41 PM »
Mike;

We all get discouraged from time to time and even vow to abandon the whole thing... but the next day think better of it and continue plugging away.

Think of it this way-- you are the only person in your whole country who is building a land speed race car- and a streamliner at that! In fact, you are the only one on your whole Continent that is doing it! Now if that isn't something to be proud of when your 'liner is finished, I don't know what it would be.

Just don't name it "Spirit of Patrice Lumumba"  :evil:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #2991 on: July 07, 2017, 02:56:58 PM »
And feel free to have a Carling`s  for me.............. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #2992 on: July 07, 2017, 03:23:22 PM »
  Mike, With all of the stuff you're sniffing every day, you don't need to drink beer. Your liver is working overtime now.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2993 on: July 07, 2017, 08:36:26 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys.
You know I do appreciate them. :cheers:
Doug, I'm so far gone I don't even smell the stuff anymore.
Weird because I can smell other things like doggy doo from a mile!!!.
Jerry I have just one beer. My limit and just for the guys we lost.
Willie and I always end up talking military stuff. I work, he talks then I chip in
with my 2c. Time flies and the next thing you know the job is done!!!!!.

Justin from Spies Hecker came through with flying colours on the body filler yesterday. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Cool dude. He said it would be here by 9AM and lo and behold it was. Lucky is the driver's name and he
had problems finding my place so we met at the filling station. Bought him a coffee and we exchanged product.
I signed the delivery slip and when I got home I checked it. R5224 for 9 cans of Bondo. It is the good stuff though
but man, that's alot of money. My sponsors are good to me even though I don't see them as often as I'd like.

I was sanding the engine cover "again" late yesterday and when I blew the bust off I could see the flow. This is
going to be a slippery car. That's motivation for ya!!!!!!!!!!. :-D

I see people I know going away on vacation, buying new cars, remodeling their homes, playing golf and all the stuff normal guys do
but I wouldn't change with them for anything. This journey is something only LSR people experience. Haven't got a car or even turned a wheel
but it keeps me waking up every morning tougher than I was the day before. I bitch about funding but if I had all the bucks where would the fun be?.
One inch at a time is how we win gentleman, one inch at a time!. The Good Lord Blessed me and guided me to LSR and all you guys.  This is living. :cheers:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2994 on: July 09, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »
You are right, Mike.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2995 on: July 09, 2017, 10:23:40 PM »
My BMW/Mazda6 Pro mod conversion is nearing completion.
Nose changes done. Needs some sanding  and it's outta here.
Once the paint is applied and grille, headlight decals are on it should
be OK. Thankfully not mt job.
Rear side window recesses next and then I'm back on the liner full time. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2996 on: July 11, 2017, 01:14:29 AM »
Getting going on the engine cover.
I gave it a good three coats of Spies Hecker's finest
spray filler after some rough sanding.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2997 on: July 11, 2017, 01:15:41 AM »
It's as rough as a Polar Bear's backside but it's expected.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2998 on: July 11, 2017, 01:19:52 AM »
After a part cure I gave it the black guide coat.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2999 on: July 11, 2017, 01:22:13 AM »
I'll give it a week for all the volatiles to leech out before
sanding. I hate the discs geeting clogged up with goop.
We'll see how that goes.