Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1457352 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #2700 on: October 11, 2016, 09:03:45 PM »
It makes sense to rent it when needed.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2701 on: October 11, 2016, 10:39:03 PM »
It makes sense to rent it when needed.

They say that about a lot of things..... ya know what they say.... if it flies, floats or fu.. :-o ... well it just makes better sense to rent it....  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2702 on: October 12, 2016, 03:11:47 AM »
Rich, the boss won't let us see the girls in full size????.
They must be Linda Vaughn's age by now. 8-)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2703 on: October 12, 2016, 06:34:44 AM »
Wait a minnit, Mike.  I'm sure not the one that says you can't see girls on this site -- sorta.  You wanna see girls?  You'll need to PM me for the sites and addresses. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #2704 on: October 12, 2016, 09:10:57 AM »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2705 on: October 13, 2016, 02:04:06 PM »
I've got enough girl problems already but thanks for the offer guys. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #2706 on: October 13, 2016, 02:08:04 PM »
well then....Open Freud`s latest thread and tell me the topic...The title scares me :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2707 on: October 13, 2016, 02:36:24 PM »
5 Jack Russell bitches and a long car!!!!!
I'd say those are definitely girl problems. :mrgreen:

You're right, rusted nuts?. :-o

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2708 on: October 16, 2016, 01:11:02 PM »
From day one on this build I was advised to be patient, have fun and not make it a job.
I've kinda gone the other way. I'm stressed. I'm making mistakes but luckily they aren't
finding their way onto the liner.

The rear end and the way it mounts to the chassis is driving me nuts. I sure wish I had one of
you guys here right now. I've loosely copied some of the original Speed Demon components
because they work and it was easier than starting from scratch.

A while back I posted a pic of the reverse triangles they used for the lateral stability. Their system
has sliding tubes on one end to make up for the vertical movement because they had shocks.
Mine has Urethane vibration dampers and is basically a solid mount. Even if the rear end moves 5mm
under load something's going to bind and stress components right?.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2709 on: October 16, 2016, 01:43:54 PM »
This could come across as a Wise ACRE but it was intended as a thought starter:

..B'ville is a little different than EL Mirage
Most of B'villes surface problems in the past are small deflections that can pot hole  mostly felt by one wheel

El Ms are ruts from someone driving in the mud or a small channel  either on can effect both wheels usually just not exactly at the same time

Mike  what parts are going to be stressed, what is the stress most likely going to lead to and what happens if you were to put a stop to minimize the travel?

This is an off road vech but does not have to have "off road Travel"

Watts Linkage?  Maybe horizontal and Vertical?  I am not an engineer this is just to get your mind off track and free it up as a form of Beingengineering !!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:48:00 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2710 on: October 16, 2016, 02:19:21 PM »
Mike, the linkage that you've got now has one too many members. You can't use those links both top and bottom because they inhibit roll. One should work but I really don't like the sliding part as it's too easy to bind up and the roll centers are likely too high or too low.

I'd be more tempted to use a Watt's link or a Jacob's ladder because they can be set up to provide vertical movement if designed correctly. The only reason I don't like a panhard bar is the movement tends to be in an arc.

Cardboard and pins on a board is a good way of studying the movement of these linkages and how the movement can be adjusted.

Good luck.

Pete
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:25:32 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #2711 on: October 16, 2016, 06:50:27 PM »
Mike, I agree with Pete that with your arrangement as shown, the two wishbones not only provide lateral location for the axle, but in combination, prevent any roll motion as well (at least to the degree that the wishbones don’t deflect due to the loads).  And those rolling motion loads may create rather large loads on the bones and Heim joints.   And those loads would be such that they cause bending stress in the shank of the single Heims--something they are not designed for nor intended to carry.  (Bending across a threaded shank, especially in a salt environment).
When Speed Demon was building, the early photos of their arrangement alarmed me for just this reason, and I had a discussion with Steve Watt about it. One element that Speed Demon did have that doesn’t appear in yours was a monumentally stiff anti-roll bar (about 2” diameter) which would tend to share the rolling loads with the wishbones.  The photos didn’t really show the A/R bar and while the anti-roll bar tends to improve things, I still consider the arrangement spooky and, for one, wouldn’t consider riding in it.  Then again, it seems to be working.  But in my judgement they are just “getting away with it”.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #2712 on: October 16, 2016, 09:47:14 PM »
I'd be more tempted to use a Watt's link or a Jacob's ladder because they can be set up to provide vertical movement if designed correctly. The only reason I don't like a panhard bar is the movement tends to be in an arc.

Pete, I agree on use of a watts link but given limited vertical travel, the arc is minimal depending on length of the link. I have a similar problem with my front suspension using a panard bar for lateral stability and a four link trailing arms. The smallish arcs from the panard bar and trailing arms with corresponding track and wheelbase movement necessitates a sliding steering shaft. Stainless solved this problem with a stock Camero sliding intermediate steering shaft. It easily compensates for any movement the links creates in bump.

John
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:06:13 AM by ggl205 »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2713 on: October 16, 2016, 10:23:19 PM »
John, I was only suggesting the Watts link for lateral location. The four independent leading links work just fine for for and aft location. A properly designed Watts link used for lateral location will not travel in an arc. A panhard rod does travel in an arc at the axle end. In Mike's case you're probably right in that he has very limited suspension travel which means that even a short panhard rod wouldn't cause much sideways movement.

Pete

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #2714 on: October 17, 2016, 04:13:11 AM »
Pete, I had a senior moment and was thinking mostly of lateral stability. The sliding steering shaft on my front suspension was used primarily to solve wheelbase change from the four independent leading links (and a little from the panard bar). I added words to my post to clarify. Thank you for catching my err.

John
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:49:28 AM by ggl205 »