Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1449857 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #2625 on: September 15, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
Thanks for the advice Jack. I'll look into it. God Bless. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2626 on: September 15, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
Nice looking coil packs, Mike.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2627 on: September 15, 2016, 11:10:02 AM »
You better be on the hunt for an 8.5 housing Mate!
  Sid.

After all work I put into the current one?????.
I thought one of you guys would have wised me up way back?.
Right now I'm not working on the project. Too dejected.
You have a 7.5, we assumed you were wised up on the difference, a quick Google search shows you how to id GM axles. The "you guys" here all run the 7.5 axle with a 2.14 factory gear.
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2628 on: September 19, 2016, 02:40:50 AM »
Busy on a plan Sid. Watch this space in a few weeks. :-D :cheers: :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2629 on: September 19, 2016, 12:28:17 PM »
I don't follow every nut n bolt of your build or all the gum flapping, got enough of that here to suck up my time, I just pop in once in a while. Now your left hand is talking to you right hand I'm sure you'll get over this bump in the road, that's what we do! :x..... :|..... :-).
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2630 on: September 20, 2016, 03:26:26 AM »
Thanks Sid.
I know you're collecting wood for winter. I don't envy you one bit.
You're right, this type build isn't for sissies but I've shed a few long tears.
I'll get over the bump. Thanks for always being there for me. You're a true friend. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2631 on: September 20, 2016, 01:04:15 PM »
This one man road show can deliver a reality check with a hint of finesse.  :dhorse: Come on bitch....get up!! :-P
No wood cutting for me any more. I heat the shop with Jet-A now & get about 500 gallons/yr free from the airport (sump fuel) that is non flyable plus I mix that with hydraulic oil from an elevator company in Utah. Free-ish heat.
  Sid.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:39:50 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2632 on: September 20, 2016, 06:26:55 PM »
I'll call your free fuel and see if I can top it:  We sell a few truckloads of sawlogs of our land every four or five years, routing the $$ back through the buddy that cuts it.  He then cuts and hauls and stacks our wood for us -- and we end up about $500 to the good every year.  Of course -- heating with wood does mean that I visit the boiler (outside) three times/day -- for about six months.  You do the math and see how often I get to go out for fresh air.  Sure wish we could get natural gas delivered to us at the same kinda price. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2633 on: September 20, 2016, 08:08:21 PM »
This one man road show can deliver a reality check with a hint of finesse.  :dhorse:Come on bitch....get up!! :-P
No wood cutting for me any more. I heat the shop with Jet-A now & get about 500 gallons/yr free from the airport (sump fuel) that is non flyable plus I mix that with hydraulic oil from an elevator company in Utah. Free-ish heat.
  Sid.

Good to hear that Sid. :-D Free-ish beats cutting wood. Good to know you'll be warm this winter. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2634 on: September 20, 2016, 10:31:52 PM »
Making progress on the side, not too much but lots in the pipeline.
Pics later.  :wink:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2635 on: September 21, 2016, 05:22:53 AM »
Guys, Alex Banach from TD Coatings offered his company's services for my project.
Now there are a whole lot of parts I'd love coated but I want something other than paint or powdercoat
for the cool parts like front stub axles etc. I also hate  corrosion so I was wondering what you guys would suggest?.
I don't have big bucks like my contemporaries but my cars have always been the best turned out on fit, finish and paint.
I'm hell bent on keeping it that way. TD have many differing processes but I don't know what's best for my application.
I need advice please?. Thanks in advance. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

http://td.co.za/

http://td.co.za/pvd-coating-article/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:24:39 AM by tauruck »

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2636 on: September 21, 2016, 07:55:43 AM »
Mike:

I like nickel plating for structure parts and parts that get a lot of use. Nickel looks good and does not chip like paint or powder coat. It has that flat silver finish that has replaced chrome lately. Because it is not polished at the end I have found the labor cost is lower and thus cheaper.

my 2 cents.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2637 on: September 21, 2016, 10:47:30 AM »
Mike;

If you have access to electroless nickel plating, I'd recommend that for your parts. It will probably be limited to parts of a certain size due to the tank size of the plater. Electroless nickel is unique in that it can plate internal threads, blind holes, etc. I used it to plate the cylinder walls of a Corvair engine that I built. The plating hardness can get pretty high by heat treating. Pretty low friction coating, too.

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #2638 on: September 21, 2016, 11:01:22 AM »
Mike:

I like nickel plating for structure parts and parts that get a lot of use. Nickel looks good and does not chip like paint or powder coat. It has that flat silver finish that has replaced chrome lately. Because it is not polished at the end I have found the labor cost is lower and thus cheaper.

my 2 cents.

BR

^^^^^^^ What he said.  And what Neil said.

I work with injection mold tooling and we use a lot of electroless nickel plating.  It applies evenly and won't chip like chrome and is fairly inexpensive.  You also have the option, within limits, as to how much plating you want per side.  HTH
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:04:37 AM by Finallygotit »
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2639 on: September 21, 2016, 11:47:13 AM »
One thing to remember here is Mike will be running on dirt not salt.
Anything structural needs to be regularly inspected so that needs to be kept in mind when it comes to coating or plating.
  Sid.