Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1452717 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #2340 on: April 29, 2016, 01:40:42 AM »
Sparky, the did refit the old style meter thanks. :cheers:
Pete, When I got the machine the wiring, breakers (20A) were all sub standard so the electrician went for heavier cables, a 45A breaker and fitted a proper plug for the application. Since 2007 I've never had a problem with duty cycle or poor weld quality. We'll get to the bottom of this but thanks for all the advice and help I'm getting from all you guys. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2341 on: May 03, 2016, 09:01:34 AM »
Back on the build for now. Doing drawings, delivering materials and trying to keep busy.
Pics when available. 8-)

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2342 on: May 04, 2016, 07:58:28 AM »
Spindle materials and related are at Arma Gear for CNC work.
Veron will convert my hand drawings to CAD and we should have product in a few days.
Looking forward to working on the liner again. Every bit helps.  :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2343 on: May 06, 2016, 09:26:37 PM »
Guido (my welding machine supplier) was here yesterday to check out all my machines for damage from the electric supply debacle.
They all checked out OK!!!!. :cheers:
We're good to go.
Voltage dropped from 227V to 221V at max amperage setting on the big mig machine. Acceptable I'm told as I never really use it set so high
and never for long periods.

I just need a new motor for the compressor (due next week) and I'll be up to full capacity. Longest vacation I've ever had and the stress levels were up into Valium altitude.

The upside is that I learned a lot about electricity, large corporations and apathy. All this builds character. :evil:

I collected my oil pump with new pulleys from Geraldo yesterday. Sad to take my machining away from him but Arma Gear is the sponsor now and saves me big bucks. Sweet and Sour, this deal. :cry:

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2344 on: May 06, 2016, 10:54:37 PM »
Mike:

What does not kill you makes you stronger. Great news. I was going to take up a collection to buy you a clean sine wave 100KW generator! You need to finish that go fast  long car.

You inspire us.

Take care and strike and arc!

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2345 on: May 06, 2016, 11:13:07 PM »
Thanks so much Bill.
Somehow I expect that kind of generosity from you and all the guys here.
God Bless you, I really appreciate the gesture. If I get into trouble, I'll yell. :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2346 on: May 07, 2016, 01:55:17 PM »
You could power up the whole neighborhood & start making money with a 100kw gen, Mate! :-D
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2347 on: May 10, 2016, 05:43:38 AM »
Sid, you have no idea what crazy stuff is going through my mind right now!! :-D :-D :-D

Can anyone tell me what thickness automotive wiring (in mm) I need for my gauges etc?.
There must be a top grade available to use but as you know my knowledge is zero on the subject.
Thanks in advance. :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2348 on: May 10, 2016, 11:52:58 AM »
Mike;

Gauges require very low current to operate so a small diameter wire will be OK. The biggest concern is to use a wire large enough to resist vibration damage. I'd use #18 to #22 AWG, I don't know the diameter but Google can tell you what it is. Use fine stranded wire such as aircraft wire if you can get it. It is more fatigue resistant.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2349 on: May 10, 2016, 12:00:10 PM »
Lots happened here today. Things have turned 180* in a manner of speaking.
Out of the blue the local agent for a company that produces one of the best ECU/data logging systems
called me saying he was in the area and asked to pay me a visit. The short story is that the directors
will be visiting South Africa in a few months and want to supply me with a complete turn key system.
What a surprise!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I also got some info that ,75mm cable will be suitable for all my wiring. Two cable sponsors have offered
me all the cabling I need. All we need is to choose who we'll go with. Exciting times and my gratitude is
at an all time high. "Never give up and have faith" works. :wink: 8-)

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2350 on: May 10, 2016, 01:01:59 PM »
Mike;

Gauges require very low current to operate so a small diameter wire will be OK. The biggest concern is to use a wire large enough to resist vibration damage. I'd use #18 to #22 AWG, I don't know the diameter but Google can tell you what it is. Use fine stranded wire such as aircraft wire if you can get it. It is more fatigue resistant.

Neil, if I copy and paste your reply I'm sure they'll know what you're saying. Thanks a bunch. I'll let you know how I get on.
You always have the right answers. :wink: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2351 on: May 10, 2016, 02:40:32 PM »
ehll   he is just like the rest of us old geezers===  happy someone's finally asking the question  lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2352 on: May 11, 2016, 04:00:27 AM »
Yeah, but Sparky, Neil's quick!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :evil:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2353 on: May 11, 2016, 11:02:01 AM »
for sure and his knowledge base is astronomical
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2354 on: May 11, 2016, 11:37:28 AM »
for sure and his knowledge base is astronomical

Only RADIO astronomy, Bill.  :-D