Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1452649 times)

Online tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #2325 on: April 25, 2016, 06:54:41 PM »
Absolutely nothing happening on my build. About 2 months now!!.
The frustration is unbearable and I don't get much sleep at all.
Added to that, the same tools I use to build the liner I use to make
a living. No work either but I just have to handle the situation. :evil:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2326 on: April 25, 2016, 07:53:17 PM »
Hang in there Mike. We're all hoping your electricity gets sorted out quickly.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Online tauruck

« Reply #2327 on: April 26, 2016, 12:11:02 AM »
Maybe, I should post the email addresses of the persons responsible for handling my claim?.
A flooded inbox might move things along. :evil:
Thanks for your comment Pete, I appreciate it. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2328 on: April 26, 2016, 01:51:50 AM »
That seems to be a bad deal.  Now might be a good time for wiring and other electrical things.  This way, your time is not wasted.

Online tauruck

« Reply #2329 on: April 28, 2016, 01:34:21 PM »
Quick question for those that know electrics?.
Guido checked my mig machine and he says the voltage at the main should remain the same (225V) when I start welding and not drop to 202v as tested by the tech guy whose company installed the meter.
Guido claims the machine is solid and isn't damaged. Could the cables from the workshop to the DB box on the road be damaged?.
No one wants to take responsibility or tell the truth. Guido could have lied and took bucks from me for my mig machine by changing out a few parts but he's straight up. The other dude claims the analogue old type meter he reinstalled is good.
I'm confused to the point that I'm thinking of selling my house but where would I find another with all the space I have?.
I have a high tech voltmeter I don't know how to use and no one trustworthy or knowledgeable to help.
While this is all going on the liner is gathering dust. :evil:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #2330 on: April 28, 2016, 02:01:30 PM »
Too small of wiring from the street transformer to the meter will give low voltage under load (welding). I would check it at the meter, both sides (in and out) of circuit breakers and welder, all under load. If low at the meter, it is too small of wire to meter or too little transformer amperage.  Not an electrician but is my understanding from past experience, hope this helps.

YMMV
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2331 on: April 28, 2016, 02:58:19 PM »
When I built my shop behind the house I had the shop set up for 200 amp service. There's a transformer on the pole one down from my shop. The house at the time had a 70 amp service. I then had them upgrade the house to 100 amp service because the wiring was already adequate for that much power and then had the house subbed off the shop. The old main breaker from the house is now the breaker for my tig machine. It's worked out really well. Generally the power run into the average suburban family dwelling is inadequate for shop use.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2332 on: April 28, 2016, 05:20:18 PM »
Mike said:  "... the voltage at the main should remain the same (225V) when I start welding and not drop to 202v as tested by the tech guy whose company installed the meter."

Am I getting this right?  The voltage at the "main" dropped from 225V no load to 202V loaded? Just what "main" point - the main as in the power supplied to the service from the elec. company?

Or perhaps you mean that at you main panel the 225 there becomes 202 when it gets to the equipment.

If what the elec. utility is sending is dropping and bouncing around - it's their supply infrastructure that can't handle the load - - right?  So maybe the new metering also included a new xfmr nearby and it's got a farkled connection at the drop going to you - or who knows what else.

But that's their equip at fault.

:? :?

I fixed the typo to which SB objected.  Slim
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:19:21 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2333 on: April 28, 2016, 05:24:37 PM »
Maybe its second hand electricity Mike, it's already partly worn out when it gets to you... :roll:

yeah, ok, I'm going.....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2334 on: April 28, 2016, 06:06:22 PM »
"xfrmr"?  There's a flathead-powered rear engine modified roadster in the line?

(Maybe I'm spending too much time on entries.)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2335 on: April 28, 2016, 07:35:22 PM »
"xfmr" = "transformer" in electro-speak.  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2336 on: April 28, 2016, 09:24:44 PM »
Mike, the typical house wiring around here has live wires and common wires.  The common wires act as grounds.  We also have ground wires that supplement the common wires.  They connect back to the breaker box and then go to a ground.  This is often a heavy gage copper wire that is attached to a copper or copper coated stake in the ground.  Sometimes it is attached to a metal pipe.

The house I am living in now has some knob and tube wiring and old two conducter cables.  The common wires carry all of the grounding load.  It is a very old wiring system and they had live and common wires, only, at that time.  It performs poorly when I use it to power tools with a heavy demand.

One thing I did when I moved in was to wire a good ground to the breaker box and many circuits are replaced with three wire cable having ground wires.  This works much better with power tools.

Something those clowns did might have severed your ground wire.  It might be a good idea to check and to make sure it is in proper order.  Turn off the current before you do this.  The house side of a disconnected ground can be live if there is current feeding into it from a live wire somewhere. 

Online tauruck

« Reply #2337 on: April 29, 2016, 01:21:30 AM »
Thanks for all the above. I should have a real answer by tonight.
The first guy from our supplier checked all four connections. From the power supply on the street 227V.
After the new "smart meter" 227V. At the mains board in the shop 227V and on the other side 227V.
When he asked me to run a bead with the mig he stopped me within seconds. The Voltage dropped to 165V.
His opinion was that the smart meter was sub standard and his company hadn't researched properly. Then the contractor
that fitted the smart meter arrived and changed it out for an original type analogue meter. I got 202V when welding. Thinking that the mig machine was already damaged I accepted his reading. Guido says no way. His machine is solid so he'll come prove it later.
I'm actually hoping the machine IS the problem because to rewire the workshop etc will be a mission and more costly.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2338 on: April 29, 2016, 01:25:14 AM »
will they not let you just keep the old style meter?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2339 on: April 29, 2016, 01:32:02 AM »
How many welder outlets do you have in the shop Mike and where was he getting the 202v reading. If the drop is just from the panel to the machine you could just run surface mount wiring of adequate size for the job in conduit from the panel to new outlets. If you have room in your panel use a separate breaker for each outlet. That shouldn't be hugely expensive. It's likely that you've been welding all along with inadequate voltage.

Hope this helps.

Pete