Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1458446 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #210 on: December 03, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »
Exactly,

Move to the rear axle. A straight up project clears your head. Continue to ask and gather ideas and it will come to you. Sometimes you have to give the problem to your subconscious and let it grind on it for a few days, weeks.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #211 on: December 05, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »
Hey Mikey

Remember to Breath.  :-D

Pete 
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2013, 03:05:23 AM »
Hey Pete, Shoooo, I was blue in the face there for a while. :-D

You're right and thanks.

On the war path here but it's starting to take shape.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2013, 09:04:20 AM »
How much suspension travel do you feel like you have to have?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2013, 09:37:53 AM »
Mike, I'm no expert just looking at your project. What about building a top link like the lower one but shorter, to get your caster. Turn it in the opposite direction with the two links connected to the frame. May need to make the top connection on the axle a little taller and keep the upper and lower A-arms parallel. This mite make it more like a four link with out the panhard bar problem. Then I assume you are going to mount short coil over shocks in front of the axle. You can get them with a three inch travel.

It's just metal Cut and Weld. 
Richard   
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline tauruck

« Reply #215 on: December 06, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
Thank you both for your input/advice.
I was going to run a pushrod suspension with the shocks behind the bulkhead but I've scrapped the side by side in favour of a tandem system.

I don't have pics yet but I am working on it right now.

It will allow me the swoopy body lines I wanted. My car was going to look a lot like Bobby Moore's Maro special but now I can give the nose a better aero profile.

I used a few design cues from other tandem liners along with my own ideas and I feel I'll only be building one version this time.

I wasted quite a few inserts and other bits on the failed designs but I can save them I guess.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #216 on: December 06, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »
Luckily Mike, I've never spent a bunch of time working on and idea, only to scrap it and start over!  :roll:

That stuff happens man! Good to see yer keeping yer head up and moving forward. If you have access to a lathe, recovering your threaded inserts is a lot easier than one would think!

Keep fighting the good fight man. You'll get it!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #217 on: December 06, 2013, 02:50:15 PM »
Thanks Joe.
I built the pushrod suspension on the truck in short time and it was cool.

This one??????

Guido is currently driving 450 miles to a classic car show in a Rover 90 that was built in the 50s. Brave dude. I was going to get to his spot to use the lathe this weekend but it will have to wait until Tuesday.

I've got enough inserts to go on with so I should be OK.

I spend December on my own with six Jack Russells because the missus goes to Scotland to visit her daughter. The plan is to get as much material and product together so I can work non stop for a month.

It's the summer holidays here and companies are closing by the hour so it's quite comical running from door to door trying to buy stuff you'll need.

I hope to put a big dent in this thing over the next month. I'm motivated and up for it.

Geo and I communicate almost daily and I made a statement this morning that is so true.

I'm in Africa building an American car and it's only happening because of this forum. Where else could I go to get all the help and advice I get here?. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:57:26 PM by tauruck »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: December 06, 2013, 05:54:16 PM »
HOW much suspension travel are you trying to obtain--I do not remember this as being part of the discussion.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline tauruck

« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2013, 12:41:11 AM »
Sparky, not much.

Maybe an inch and a half.

Ted Garstang from Bilstein and I go way back so I have the best of the best at my disposal.

Even though we live in Africa he is probably one of the best in the world at what he does.

I have quite a collection of Bilstein shocks here that have never been used so I might do a deal on swopping some for a custom set.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2013, 06:50:05 AM »
I do not know what speeds you are shooting for but I would sure be concerned about lift and roll in the range you are most likely shooting for.  Some type of leading arm or trailing arm suspension with 3/4" travel and adjustable bump stops maybe made like a lot of trucks have-- that are progressive rate one might even have the suspension made from them with you friends choice of shocks. This is a no engineers opinion but I have see the results of things that fly literally and not figuretively.  Body lift, asymetrical air flow, and angle of attack changes are not our friends above 2 .

Offline tauruck

« Reply #221 on: December 09, 2013, 09:28:05 PM »
Sparky we're shooting for 450, just like George Poteet.

I'll post pics of my flying machine when it's done.

I started cutting the 9" to narrow it. So far so good.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: December 09, 2013, 11:31:04 PM »
^^^^ Wondering what gear ratios (and other things) you'll be using with that rearend to go 450 mph?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline tauruck

« Reply #223 on: December 10, 2013, 11:50:24 AM »
Gotcha!!!
 I was hoping Sparky would reply.

450KPH. :-D :-D

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #224 on: December 10, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »
1.75:1 :-o :-o :-o :-o :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15