Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1458130 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »
Rex, Thank you. I'm not known for being a BSer so i'll tell you straight up. I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm winging it. It's hit and hope.

I have two opposing wishbones of the same length with rod ends at all points. There is adjustment built in and my thinking is that the suspension will travel up and down just fine. There's zero camber and I can get the caster spot on by adjusting the rod ends.

My worry is roll. I don't know if what I have will cut it.

I'm here to learn and the amount of knowledge you guys have is vast so I'm sure you'll point out the wekness in the design.

Some images. The long bar is the pushrod and will move down when I cut a piece of chassis tubing away.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #196 on: November 30, 2013, 01:03:08 PM »
The top wish bone isn't done yet but I'll get onto it tomorrow.

Some other angles of the "masterpiece". :|

:x

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »
Tauruck:

If your fab work is winging it then mine is pure metal butchery! Your fab work and the speed at which you accomplish it amaze me. Seems when you lack a tool you substitute ingenuity and elbow grease. I respect that.

Keep it up, the guys here will nudge you if something concerns them.

When is your first run target date?

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline tauruck

« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2013, 12:12:29 AM »
Bill, I'm winging it on the design and that's where the problem is :-D.

I got that nudge you speak of. Rex Schimmer sent me an email and thanks to him I'll get one major flaw sorted. Buickguy, Sid Gyde, Freud, Geo, Jono and others have all had input. This is what makes this forum what it is. IMO, if you screw up on your build you only have yourself to blame.

The Hawks (good Hawks though) here don't miss a thing and you'll get nudged in the right direction.

I'm rushing and therein lies the problem. I've made commitments to sponsors and others that I'll run at Hakskeen Pan in late August next year and I can't let them down.

I have 27 sponsors and I don't think even a top NASCAR team can boast that many. I'm in deep Do Do if I don't produce.

The thing is out of control and we wouldn't be having this conversation if I was US based.

There is no LSR in South Africa. We have FIA records for all the classes but they are based on modified production vehicles that ran over a timed distance at military airfields, closed off highways and stuff. No SCTA type clubs here yet.

It's big news and now the media wants in. Too many distractions.

My work is suffering as a result and I need to keep my clients here happy. :cry:

Must be salt fever or something. :lol:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:20:15 AM by tauruck »

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2013, 06:44:04 AM »
Tauruck,
You are probably correct to be concerned about the roll behavior of the front suspension.  The upper, front, single ball joint and the lower, rear, single ball joint would constitute an axis about which the carrier can pivot.  Rather like the steering head angle on a motorcycle, but swept rearward instead of forward.  If it were a motorcycle, this arrangement would be unstable, the carrier wanting to fall over to one side or the other.  Only the track width of your front wheels would keep this from happening. 
Of more concern is what may happen as the wheels drive over an uneven surface, tilting the carrier about this axis.  This may produce some spooky, unwanted steering inputs which is not something that would be appreciated by the driver.  Further, when the rear tires then go over the same uneven patch, the reverse would happen.  Other things like side wind or cornering that would tend to induce a rolling motion to the chassis would also contribute.  Whether any of this effect is large enough to be significant is hard to tell, especially since the actual steering arrangement is yet to be disclosed.  That may moderate or accentuate the behavior.  But in any case, it would be wise to more fully evaluate the whole system before getting too far further into the fabrication.  Or, build it out and do some in-shop testing to see what the motions are like.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2013, 07:08:13 AM »
I wanted (tried) to build an upper and lower swingarm (rectangular boxes) and hang the axle system off that.

My concern was how to get adjustability into it. That would be the easier option.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2013, 01:06:31 AM »
I'm ready to throw in the towel.

I don't have the engineering savvy to design a front suspension.

An inline is probably better but if I can't get the side by side working my chances of pulling of the former are super slim.

I thought I might get a chance in the "bigs" but I was wrong. I'm done, well done. :-D :cry:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #202 on: December 03, 2013, 02:08:46 AM »
Mike, what about using a Mustang II front end and suspension?  It is designed already by Ford.  Guys around here have them on their street rods.   

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #203 on: December 03, 2013, 02:19:08 AM »
Too wide Bo!

Mike, I sent you a PM.

Pete

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #204 on: December 03, 2013, 02:41:15 AM »
Second PM sent.

Good luck Mike. You'll find your way out of the woods!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #205 on: December 03, 2013, 02:58:17 AM »
Mike, if you post photos of how the front axle mounts to the chassis right now I may be able to give you a little more help.

You WILL get this sorted.

Pete

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2013, 09:19:58 AM »
You'll get it Mike! That car is way cool and it needs to go down the track! Keep at it brother. If yer having problems, do what I do. Work on something else for awhile. I've found when I do that then come back to the part that was giving me so much grief it just falls into place!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

gkabbt

« Reply #207 on: December 03, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »
Mike, step back and take a breather for a few days/weeks. Come back to it later and you'll get everything figured out.
I had to do that with my truck and I'm just now starting back on it.

Gregg

Offline tauruck

« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
The tribe has spoken :-D :-D :-D

Thanks guys. You're right. I took a break albeit a short one.

I never looked at HER today.

I went to meet my tool sponsor and collect the decals and product.

I don't drive over here. I leave that to the little woman. It's safer and I try not watching the circus.

You guys wouldn't understand. There are 7 million new drivers here and I know 75% got their licenses under the table, at the back door or just for free because they know someone.

Throw in the latest gadget, the Almighty mobile phone. Mix that with poor depth perception and a touch of pure ignorance and Wallah, you have a Johannesburg driver.

Does Guy Fieri ever come on the forum?. He can start a new show. Drivers, Deliveries and Drunks.

Head down Mike, she'll get you there. Zina "drives" when she has to. :-D

Made it there and back, collected my sanity at the gate and began opening the packages.

Russell from King Tony gave me a pile of good stuff. 2 torque wrenches to boot. Great people, down to earth and very interested in the project.
He said if you need anything, but I mean anything just shout. Thank you so much Russell, but i'm thinking what would happen if he knew I'm getting a beating back at the shop from :-) the suspension..

I bought pulleys for my Weaver pump today as well so I'm pretty pleased.
I'm going to start narrowing my 9" tomorrow. Must be easier than building a front suspension. :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »
You'll get it Mike! That car is way cool and it needs to go down the track! Keep at it brother. If yer having problems, do what I do. Work on something else for awhile. I've found when I do that then come back to the part that was giving me so much grief it just falls into place!

Don't lie Joe, you go drink a beer and come back later! :cheers: