Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1456515 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #1890 on: August 18, 2015, 02:32:05 AM »
Bushings were welded inside the rectangular tubing before fitting the half rounds
so fitting and removal should be a breeze.

The bottom fitting pre welding and drilling.
I've got two more hold downs to manufacture and then I'll be able to weld the
mounts to the chassis.

The argon gauge says empty but there's still gas after 3 days????????.
Divine intervention I guess.

It looks like I've found a gas supplier for pure Argon, Nitrogen, Co2 and Oxy Acetylene
but I'll only know later today if they're coming on board.

On the gauge front it looks like I might have to find another use for the pile of Autometer
units I have. Another well known supplier wants in. :-D

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1891 on: August 18, 2015, 02:32:18 AM »
Nice work as usual Mikey!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1892 on: August 18, 2015, 02:34:49 AM »
Thanks Pete. :cheers: :cheers:

I just love this car even though the complexity is ramping up.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1893 on: August 19, 2015, 06:31:02 PM »
 :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1894 on: August 20, 2015, 12:11:50 AM »
Hi Mike.  I read your build every day but do not know enough about cars to say much.  You sure are making good progress.  This is the hard part.  The challenge is to keep interested while working on the little details.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1895 on: August 20, 2015, 02:06:15 AM »
Thanks Frank, I'm also upset over the BSF debacle and I see the disappointment right here on the forum.
Every year I look forward to August and it's been that way ever since I was a kid. Kite season was the reason. Windy and I flew kites out of sight. You couldn't see them, just the string and a hard pull on the 100s of yards of string normally used for sewing boots and shoes rolled over a gallon paint can.

At this stage it's Speed Week. I get my inspiration from all you guys going out there and doing what you live for. Thing is that I'm positive that a nation that put men on the moon will prevail. Don't sell yourselves short.

Things will work out. :cheers:

Bo, I could say I should have built a bike and I did start but when the missus saw the frame on the jig
she said she was starting to pack her stuff. :-D

I don't know why and how this project came about but if you saw the movie "Evan Almighty" I feel like that guy.

I fight every day non stop. The Subaru builds up but in the 18 months I've been at it I've developed a skin like an Elephant. Guys have asked why I haven't been to the track to check it out. I won't go there without the liner. Just my way of doing stuff.

The sponsors keep coming and the progress is steady. You'll understand what I mean when you see my suit with all the patches. The NASCAR guys think they're well covered?. Try 52 sponsors. That's a record in any form of racing.

Sure, I'm overwhelmed by all the tech stuff related to ECU, EFI and the like but I keep my head down and just keep going. Without landracing.com members there wouldn't be a car, period. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

To name names would be unfair because someone always gets left out. You guys keep me working, interested and honest.

This is my life and it's all I need.

The gas supplier is sending the marketing team here tomorrow for a look see and on Monday the gauge supplier is coming around. The gauge department is just one of many from a huge company in the auto industry and the contact said they wanted to see if they could do more for me with other products.

Exciting times and no complaints. Life is great even though the financial situation is lousy.
We'll get there.  :wink:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1896 on: August 20, 2015, 11:35:47 AM »
Got some bucks today so I took the opportunity to buy the materials for the front stub axles.

The drawing is already done in DFX for the 30mm plate to be water jet cut.
I'll deliver the plate Moday.

The round bar is the special stuff for the stub axles and will be going to Geraldo for machining
Tuesday.

Things are looking up. :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1897 on: August 21, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »
Great day today. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I'm gonna say this is now a "works" team. :-D

New sponsor on gas. Pure Argon, Co2, Nitrogen and Oxy Acetylene arriving Monday.
Proper stock, multiple cylinders. We're covered.
Gas is expensive and this sponsor has the best quality out there.

My guy from Bosch was here to drop off my chute units.
I'm running compressed Nitrogen to deploy the chutes and the hand operated valves
are actually for air horns on trucks. When the system is pressured one tug on the lever
is enough to provide the go juice. Small, compact and top quality.

It looks like HQ in Germany will supply the race quality ECU and related products.

All I need are part numbers. Thanks Xola!!!!!!!. You're a special guy. :cheers:

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #1898 on: August 21, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »
For me "push" is faster in a panick.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline RS_JHB

• New folks
« Reply #1899 on: August 21, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »
http://www.sandmeyersteel.com/2205.html

Alloy 2205 (UNS S32305/S31803) is a 22% chromium, 3% molybdenum, 5-6% nickel, nitrogen alloyed duplex stainless steel plate with high general, localized, and stress corrosion resistance properties in addition to high strength and excellent impact toughness.

Alloy 2205 duplex stainless steel plate provides pitting and crevice corrosion resistance superior to 316L or 317L austenitic stainless steels in almost all corrosive media. It also has high corrosion and erosion fatigue properties as well as lower thermal expansion and higher thermal conductivity than austenitic.

This is what I just found. Not sure why Latham Engineering made the tank from the other material and the lid from the above
but now that we've drilled and cut all the appropriate openings I'm good with it. :-D :-D :-D

It is a pretty heavy plate.
Thanks Bo.

[Hi Mike! Just got onboard and trying to catch up with your posts- Such a rad project!
Quite correct, 2205 is consider a duplex grade stainless steel. Duplex meaning a mixture of 50% austenite and 50% ferrite microstructure which gives it the properties you mentioned above. A great stainless steel for this application (Barring the higher cost of the base and filler material.) 2205 has a particularly high PREN number which indicates its ability to resist pitting corrosion - (2205 PREN #34 vs 316 PRE #24). Welding of this material is a little tricky as the austenite is burnt out during welding process and so if the micro structure is not corrected it will never maintain the corrosive resistance it had originally. For this reason  2%N2 is added to the existing shielding gas to correct the microstructure post welding (N2 is a strong austenite former).. So, a long story short :) If anyone is going to be welding a duplex grade stainless steel, please use the correct filler material aswell as the correct shielding gas- traditionally 2%N2; 2%C02; Balance Argon for MAG and 2%N2 Balance Argon for MIG .

Good Luck!     /quote]

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1900 on: August 21, 2015, 06:55:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice RS. Not sure what can be done about it now. I used the pure Argon and back purged.
Not sure about the filler rod's spec but it was recommended.

I guess maybe if the fuel sat in the tank for extended periods there might be a problem but with the way we'll be using the Ethanol I'm hoping it won't.
Not more than an hour at a time.

John, I never panic. Only if I run out of money or ammo. :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1901 on: August 25, 2015, 02:45:13 AM »
We have another new sponsor on board.
VDO instruments will be supplying all the gauges.

We won't have to worry about extending capillaries etc anymore.
This is a win, win situation all round.
Thanks to Gary Wilder and the great guys at Torre Automotive. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1902 on: August 25, 2015, 07:47:48 AM »
 :cheers:

This is funny--in a wonderful sota way--cross pollination--of ideas and inspiration!!

over and back up and down round and a round---it just flows   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1903 on: August 25, 2015, 08:33:15 AM »
I'm just riding the wave and it's awesome.

I dream of being at a ball game watching the Red Sox murder the Yankees while eating a hot dog
but my current situation gives me the same thrill. (I think). :-D

Life is great and without the current salt problem I'd say I'm the happiest guy on the planet.

I've got "GAS" and I'm happy. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1904 on: August 25, 2015, 08:41:48 AM »
You guys have all these migrant/refugee types wanting to come to the US for a better life.
What that means is Greek to me!!!!.

I want to come there to meet the greatest friends and motivators a guy could want.
 The only problem I have is that anything American I buy costs 14 times more than you'd pay. :evil: without shipping.

Not one member ever had anything negative to say about my endeavors and all I've ever got was good advice based on solid experience.

What more does a guy want?.
I wish I owned a billion tons of salt. :wink: