Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1452791 times)

Offline JoshH

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2013, 12:53:08 PM »
Ain't that a great feeling...? In some cases I've found that letting the resin kick a bit before applying pressure to the bag can really help surface finish, but like many things in composites there is some luck involved getting that timing just right. It might make the part a bit more resin rich but it hardly matters in most cases.

I've been thinking about trying infusion, apparently its easier to achieve class A finishes with this method. I haven't because I'm always concerned that the part would not infuse correctly and I'd waste a bunch of material, at least with wet layup I know its correctly saturated before applying pressure.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2013, 06:29:21 PM »
Oh yes that is slick Mike. Congrats for mastering one of the black arts!!!
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2013, 12:37:51 AM »
Mike, what I am talking about is not buying a small quantity.  That is often difficult for supplier.  They need to set everything up make the little batch, make it, then do all of the cleanup.  That makes the small quantity cost a lot.

What I do is to buy the the big quantity they usually make and to have them split it into smaller containers for shipping so it is more convenient to store and to use.  I just did this with race gas.  It is only blended a drum at a time, so I ordered a drum and asked for it to be split into smaller containers.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2013, 12:51:57 AM »
Josh, a man after my own heart. You understand the inner workings. In the early days I panicked and pulled vacuum to early. I had the nasty job of opening the pump and spending hours cleaning it. I had to throw the non return vlaves away and at 600 bucks a pop it really hurt but it was a good lesson.

There is a guy called Nick that is/was the best welder in our country until he left for Oz. He said that the first time he struck an arc he just knew that that was going to be his trade. It came naturally. I never knew it at the time but I was also blessed to do what I do. I love the stuff.

Maybe you should give the infusion a try. I've watched it being done but found the sealing strip was too time consuming for my liking. Building the female part into each and every mold was a chore and might be great for production but for my one off lifestyle the old bag works.

Wet lay up is like you say more predictable. I always see the guys in the white suits and dust masks in the "lab" doing the F1 pre preg thing and I always ask myself how many started with wet lay up?.  :-D
Frank, thanks. Well find out how well I've mastered the art when you get the discs. I'm on it brother.

Do any of you guys know Chris Raschke from ARP?.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2013, 01:03:54 AM »
Mike, what I am talking about is not buying a small quantity.  That is often difficult for supplier.  They need to set everything up make the little batch, make it, then do all of the cleanup.  That makes the small quantity cost a lot.

What I do is to buy the the big quantity they usually make and to have them split it into smaller containers for shipping so it is more convenient to store and to use.  I just did this with race gas.  It is only blended a drum at a time, so I ordered a drum and asked for it to be split into smaller containers.   

I hear you Bo. This place is weird. I've tried what you suggested but they won't go for it.

I've had big fights here over this very thing. A while back I needed some Polystyrene sheet cut to a certain thickness (5mm) and all the woman on the phone did was tell me repeatedly what they "don't do". I got frustrated and told her that the "Americans" don't tell me what they can't do but ask how they can get involved and when do I want it?. Was I right????

I asked to buy a 20kg keg of resin and was quoted R1000. I wanted them to decant into 4 smaller cans. The total was R2000. I can't win here. The service isn't good. Only big deals interest most companies.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »
Mike, it is a people thing.  Nationality isn't a big factor.  There are parts made for me in in town here, in England, and Australia 'cause they are people I can communicate with and who are willing to do special work.  The customs and duty our government charges are a problem.  I wonder if the Chinese need to pay the same customs and duty for all of their stuff they ship here?   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2013, 12:00:52 AM »
Don't get me started.

We used to have a garment industry here. Thousands out of work. One example.

I had an interesting day yesterday. Guido and I took a trip to my engineer to collect components but we stopped off at a friend of his. This old guy called Pierino is a sheetmetal guy. He got hold of a Ferrari 348 wreck and used the components to build a 1964 250LM replica. He hand shaped all the Aluminum body panels and I never knew it was a retro until they told me.
 He also has an MG from the 20s or 30s that he's restoring. I never knew there was a guy like this living ten miles away. Unbelievable. I'll get pics next time.

I designed some stuff a while back for mounting braces from the roll cage back to the chassis. I obviously won't be able to get the motor in or out with the braces welded in so this clevis type system should do the trick. They'll also be used to attach the front and rear chassis sections that house the chute tubes and the water tank front. The bullet noses are to make fitting easier but I'll cut half round sections out where required.

The other parts are the rod end inserts for the front suspension.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Not much work got done today. Visitors, but they were welcome. It seemed like everyone arrived at once. My Jack Russells were spoilt for choice. They didn't know who to jump on first. One thing about this shop is that you'll get a warm welcome.

The aeroquip rep arrived along with the the guy who'll be supplying thermocouples and digital gauges for the systems and they both brought colleagues. Then Guido arrived. I've been keeping the build a secret and he thought I was still working on the truck. He was a little surprised when he saw the long car.

It all turned out good and based on his passion for what I'm doing and the effort he's put into the project I asked Riaan Lingenfelter (Eaton/Aeroquip) if he'd like to be the team mannager. Victor Moore is also a gear head (Wika measuring equipment) so he wants in as pit crew. So far I have four guys on the team with each being an expert in his field. I figure there will be ten guys on this project before we get to run the car.

It's a good feeling to have backup and there is a good vibe among the guys. After everyone left I got back to work and welded on the eight connectors for the nose and tail sections. It looks good and the end result should be a simple bolt on. I need to get the male fittings machined next.

I might weld up the upper front wishbone tonight but it's based on energy. I find that tig goes better when I'm fresh.
I was hoping to have a rolling chassis by year's end but it's doubtful with the shut down but I'll give it a go no matter what.

Some pics of the work.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2013, 12:54:36 PM »
Keep at it Mike! I enjoy having people stop by the shop, but it always seems to happen when I'm really making a lot of progress. So goes life.

Yer bounds ahead of me as far as any team goes. I've got a good friend helping here and there, and that's about it. Hank has been a one man show for some time now. My engine builder is really excited about the project, but due to work load he may not be able to be on the salt with me.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #189 on: November 28, 2013, 12:21:28 AM »
Joe, this car is big news here because it's the first one and guys all want to be involved. We'll see how things work out when they have to take a week off work and drive 800 miles to the track.

I used to race F2 cars in the 80s and the volunteers fell by the wayside when it came to crunch time. I used to load the car, drive to away races, unload and do the setup myself. Mike Nish was here in those days and he at least had a crew.
I was exhausted by the time we lined up for the start.

You have no idea how cool it is to have someone get you out of the deck chair and say the car's ready. No junk on your hands, no gear oil smell. I hate that smell. It makes me want to throw up. :-D

Building the car is a big part but even though I haven't done LSR my feeling is that having a good crew to be at the track is just as important. You and I lead similar lives in that the build is a one man project and we'll need good guys behind us when the time comes.

In my case these dudes are employed by the sponsors so I think they'll be OK with getting time off.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #190 on: November 30, 2013, 01:20:33 AM »
Front suspension is finally looking like getting done.

The fourth version is my best attempt IMO.

I did have to cut the steering box mounting off and I learned a big lesson. More tack less cutting and grinding.

I won't be fully welding anything until I know it works.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2013, 01:24:55 AM »
I made up the components from materials that I had here.

The upright is made up of two bike necks I did some time ago. I have the shafts, bearings and other hardware here already so all I need to do is machine the spindles and make the carriers.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #192 on: November 30, 2013, 01:28:53 AM »
The system will consist of two wishbones, one running one way and the other the opposite.

I need to get the pushrod to the bell crank at the top of the chassis so I oriented the wishbone so that it wouldn't interfere with the travel.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #193 on: November 30, 2013, 01:33:31 AM »
All the good rod ends are still on the truck project so I'll be stripping the suspension to get them.

I dummied up the set up so you can see more or less what it will look like when it's done.

The height is not accurate in the photo but you'll get the idea.

It has to work. It's prototype #4. :|

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #194 on: November 30, 2013, 10:47:38 AM »
Mike,
With the way your "front axle" is made I am going to assume that your front wheels have sufficient off set to get the center line of the "spindle" to fall pretty close to the center of the proposed tire contact point, i.e. not much scrub radius. It looks very strong which I really like. Keep at it Mike you are on a great roll.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.