Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1458925 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »
... This car is driving me insane. :|

Short drive Mikey, short drive....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
  :-D  Thanks Bob and for the other help.

I got another half of a header pipe tacked this weekend. Once I've trimmed the motor plate I can finish the set.

The weekend was interesting. I email Geo and I'm telling him how long the Carbon tub is that's going into the car. 57". After I sent the mail I went back into the shop to check. Yup 57" long so I get in to see how comfortable I am. Great without the pedal box. :?

Major surgery on the tub and a bit on the chassis. Sid, you warned me and I said Yes, Yes. I still messed up. Better to find out now rather than later.

I had to extend the foot box by another 12" and it's not too bad because the tub was only 60% done.  This isn't the first or last mistake and I'm handling it.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2013, 07:56:30 AM »

I'm building a custom inlet manifold for the motor to accomodate the fuel rails, runners and the Carbon plenum.

It should be a trick part when it's done. I started off by buying some plate that got cut to my specs. I had to cut out the ovals so I first used a hole saw to get it close.

The die grinder is fine but the burrs get clogged with Ally and seeing that I didn't want to transport the cylinder heads to where the milling machine is I used the approach I was used to before the fancy tool era :-D YOU make a plan.

I used Dychem on the plate and bolted it to the head. I fabbed a scribe tool from some 3mm Stainless wire and went to work.
After marking I put the plate on the drill press and as you can see it was a labour intensive thing.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2013, 08:01:05 AM »
After breaking out the pieces I didn't need I moved over to the other three ports until I had the holes at "almost" and then got the die grinder involved.

It must have taken about three hours total doing it this way but I figured the plasma cutter might create a problem on the accuracy etc.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
It turned out pretty nice for a hand job :-D

Where do you see ports the size of a Cleveland port?. You could lose small children in there.

The last pic is of the finished port area. Polished to purrrfection  8-)with the flapper wheel and matched 100%.

It makes a nice change to win for once. This car's had me on the ropes over the last few weeks.

When the second plate is done I'll bolt the the three pieces into the jig and get all the bolt spacers welded on as well once they're drilled and cut to the correct angles.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2013, 08:33:36 AM »
The trumpets/venturis will look like this.

I did some work for Nissan on aero stuff in 1999 but it eventually morphed into induction stuff and this is the trumpet we used. I modded this one to make a plug for the molding process.

It's not quite done in that it doesn't have the locating disc about two thirds of the way down. The disc will be used to locate the trumpet on the runner that goes to the inlet plate. I haven't figured how to incorporate the disc section into the mold yet.

The trumpet changes from round to oval so that it will mate perfectly with the runner.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »
Other angles.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2013, 08:48:58 AM »
Getting 8 trumpets into the base of the plenum and lining up perfectly with the risers from the heads is going to be my most challenging project ever.

One disc to locate on the riser and one for the plenum. Kinda like building a fleet of ships in one bottle.

There's always a first time hey?. :cheers:

gkabbt

« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Looking REAL good Mike.....Quality work as usual!  :cheers:

Where do you see ports the size of a Cleveland port?. You could lose small children in there.

LMAO!  :-D

Gregg

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2013, 09:54:49 AM »
Mikey, buy a toilet to floor seal ring... they are bees wax... keep dipping the grinding burr in the wax as you grind, it will help keep the burr from loading with aluminum. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »
Bob, that's the best advice I've had in a long time. I don't normally have this problem as bad but the material I'm using is like butter. We've got wax here and I'll definitely use it. :cheers:

:-D Gregg, those ports make me smile too. Thanks for the kind words. They make me work harder!.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2013, 05:45:49 PM »
Mikey, buy a toilet to floor seal ring... they are bees wax... keep dipping the grinding burr in the wax as you grind, it will help keep the burr from loading with aluminum. 

Auto trans fluid work well as well.  :-D Cleans the burr when you dip it in. Some hand jobs are better than others. :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline tauruck

« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2013, 12:52:22 AM »
Aw, geez Frank. I threw out a gallon of ATF a week ago. Yes it was in a sealed container.

FYI, I started making the new mold for the wheel discs!!!! Soon brother, soon. :-D

Pics later.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2013, 01:29:24 AM »
Try different alloys.  We have 6061T6 and 2024T4 readily available here.  Both are machineable.  You might prefer one over the other for certain jobs. Jobs with burr, end mill, or file work seem to be easier with the 2024, at least for me.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2013, 06:40:13 AM »
Thanks Bo, The material I got was said to be the machinable variety but I never collected it in person. We also have all the different grades here and in future I'll pay better attention. I need to start writing stuff down because there are so many variants. I'm losing track of lots of what I consider the not critical.

We're waiting on delivery of the six billets for making the wheels. Two spare, what a pleasure.
Believe me I know what grade that ALLY is. :-D :-D :-D

This here be a salty roller coaster and I'm strapped in.