Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1452644 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »
I agree! Lookin real good Mike!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2013, 01:21:07 AM »
You guys all keep me going. Thanks.
 We're going to machine new front hubs and spindles. The bearing rep is coming by for a chat. I asked about ceramic bearings so he's bringing a few samples for me to look at. I want to go bigger than the stock tapered bearing but he only has 2" OD, 1" ID standard bearings.
The hard part of this build isn't doing the work, it's making the right desisions. :-o

Every single move I make is based on a decision and I don't know enough to do the right thing so I call in "overkill". :-D
Here, "bare neccessity" seems to be the rule so over the counter "overkill" is in short supply. Everything I need on bearings is ex Germany!!!!.
No wonder the Allies were so hell bent on those bearing factories.

When one starts fooling around with hubs, spindles and bearings you need to have your stuff together and all I have are the materials and machines to work them.
I feel just like my pumpkin friend here! :-D BTW, Happy Halloween guys. Rats got to my only surviving Jack 'O'.

Offline Tman

« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2013, 06:02:26 AM »
Big freakin rats!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »
I haven't seen many cats around here so maybe pumpkins aren't the only thing they eat. I'm sure I could make huge bucks with Jack 'O' Lanterns here. The local stuff never gets to this size. Anyone got leftover seeds?. I have a project to fund. :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »
You want MOTIVATION???? I just got some. :-D :-D

Thanks Geo and that's for everything. God Bless you man. You rock. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2013, 03:06:45 AM »
I got into building my headers over the weekend. The concensus is that runner length isn't as important on turbo applications so my objective was to keep the pipes away from the starter and other components.

I ran them near the chassis rails and they'll merge like the one's on Speed Demon. That seemed to be the neatest arrangement. Two are welded and the third is tacked. I back purged the process and for my first attempt at welding Stainless Steel tubing I'm pretty pleased. Vince Roman's advice on lower amperage and less speed proved to be spot on. Thanks Burns Stainless.

I did find out that I needed glasses but I have that sorted. :-D

Other work needs to be done so I'll put an hour or two into the system after hours.

Offline Geo

« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2013, 07:53:56 AM »
Hey Mikey,

Glad to help out!  Great looking welds on the headers. What welder are you using? What did you cut the SS tube with?

Geo

Offline tauruck

« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2013, 09:32:52 AM »
Thanks Geoff. I used Starrett hacksaw blades. The 90* bends were supplied. I'm using a small Tig machine. I'll be wrapping the pipes with exhaust wrap when it's all finished.

Check the new wallpaper. I can't hang the Valvoline in the shop. Royal Purple might have a problem with that.  :-D

It makes a nice change and I lurve the plates. I feel like a dodge tourist already!!!

Offline Geo

« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »
I think I'd feel right at home there brother!  Glad to brighten up the place and inspire those that enter.

Mike's a bit off the beaten path but still involved like your friend down the street. Glad to see his posts and learn a little from someone with a perspective not influenced by the years of racing here.

Keep after it Mike and let me know if you need anything.

Geo

Offline tauruck

« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2013, 01:39:56 PM »
I was influenced by the guys from FAG Bearings. On Friday they came around to discuss ceramic bearings. They brought me two bearing catalogues.

The big one is as thick as a Bible. I mentioned it to them and they said that that's what it was called back at the office. We had a little chuckle about it. I decided to have some fun. I tucked the big book under my arm and we went for a walk up the road. The two young dudes were in hysterics. I purposely stopped at Peter X's place and rang the bell.
        Peter poked his head around the corner and said "Hi Mike" and then it took a split second before he noticed the book and the two guys with me. He started to stutter....Uh, er, hey Mike, I'm on an important call in the house, can you come back tomorrow?.

He disappeared and the laughing began. The two reps were hanging onto each other and the one was crying. It was the stuff that makes your stomach muscles hurt. :-D
Peter, you're a naughty boy!!

This is a big book and I'd guess every bearing ever made must be in it. Yes, I'm still confused about what bearings to use in the front hubs but we'll get there.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2013, 02:46:17 PM »
Mike, I received a tech manual from that company years ago; whenever a bearing question came up I used to get quizzical looks when I said I'd have to consult the FAG manual.  :-D

Good info, though.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2013, 03:46:45 PM »
Neil, I just checked. It has 1650 pages. Too much information for me but it leaves one with no excuses. My bearings are in there, I just have to find them. :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2013, 01:48:44 PM »
Doesn't everyone have a bearing bible? I do, a CR one along with the Wagner Brake Bible.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »
Well, yes...but only the truly informed have a FAG manual.  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2013, 12:11:26 AM »
I wish I had a kit or a shopping list Neil. It would be so much simpler. This car is driving me insane. :|