Author Topic: Springfield Flyer.  (Read 1458442 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Springfield Flyer.
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2013, 12:28:28 AM »
Thanks Bo, I used aqueous cream. I's fine now. Frank, no problem, you can laugh. It's part of the job and I know what you went through. I never have this problem in my day to day operation but these are special panels made by Lockheed. The process used consolidates the fibers to such an extent that when you cut using a fast machine it gets painfull. I did learn the hard way the first time. At least I wasn't cutting doorways in a yacht with a grinder dressed in sandals and shorts. :-D :-D :-D
         The great news is that my new Crower custom rods are on the way. I've never owned a two grand set of rods in my life. Some motors I've had weren't worth that much. These things are so sexy it will be a pity to hide them in the motor.  I'm shaking just thinking about them. You guys have no idea how much fun I'm having with this build. I bitch all the time but it's how I get myself motivated. There is nothing like it, never was and never will be. LSR is the true test.
         I pitched the biggest car insurance company over here for sponsorship. The marketing guy gets back to me and says my thing is not their target market. It's a car like no other ever built here and if you know South Africans they are car crazy. You mean it won't get huge attention?. It got nasty and the pencil pusher went on to tell me how they "stick to their knitting". That was enough for me. I wrote back telling him that he would never die from prostrate cancer and my statement must be very "reassuring" for him.  :lol: I've never done this before and have handled the rejection with dignity but this dude's attitude stank.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2013, 06:54:05 PM »
Good with the bad Mike, good with the bad. Good for you and your successes.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »
It is possible to put so many nice, expensive, and beautiful parts in a motor that you do not want to run it hard and take the chance of blowing it apart.  Don't ask me how I learned this.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2013, 12:58:51 AM »
Bo, it's a one shot deal and I've been through the blowing things apart too. If there's anything that humbles a racer it's that. Have you ever seen the look on the face of a guy that's had a catastrophic failure?. It's priceless. :-D :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2013, 10:36:47 AM »
If you haven't blown up your race motor, you probably left some speed on the track.  We run them harder and harder every pass, trying to get to the number.  Sometimes you find the limits of the parts...
that's racing  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2013, 12:16:14 PM »
It is possible to put so many nice, expensive, and beautiful parts in a motor that you do not want to run it hard and take the chance of blowing it apart.  Don't ask me how I learned this.

I find that to be a strange attitude for a racer. We always keep pushing the limit with the knowledge that at some point it is probable that there is going to be some sort of adverse event, catastrophic or otherwise.  :-o :-o :-o

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »
Yup Pete. Just like baking a cake. Some of them flop. :-D
        I had a really interesting day. Remember all the precautions I took to not get Carbon dust on the skin?. I got hit by a Claymore today.

I use a circular saw with a homemade filter over the vent when I cut the Carbon panels. It works fine and today I decided to use the saw for some 8mm Aluminium.
It's boiling hot here so I'm in shorts and it's not a long cut so I use eye protection only. The silly fool that I am, I forgot to clean the machine with the air duster after finishing the Carbon job. As I hit the button I knew I'd messed up. There was a black cloud of dust and I could feel the fragments that were left over in the saw hitting my feet and legs. :-D :-D :-D
   I've kept it quiet here because if I mention it to mommy she'll start scratching in sympathy. Actually, she'll say I've contaminated the whole house. I had a shower but it's of little consolation. I put my head down and worked instead.
         I got a lot done. The floor and sides of the driver's cell are jigged and bonded. I collected my Aluminium motor plates from Geraldo. The rear plate went on perfectly and only needs shaping. I had to drill all the holes for the front plate and do the cutouts for the water pump.  He just milled the recess for the crank seal and it all turned out great. That one will get final finishing tomorrow.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2013, 06:15:36 PM »
It's the nasty characteristics of carbon that cause a lot of fabrications that may be in direct contact with the driver in the case of a mishap to be lined with a layer of kevlar. It helps keep the carbon shards from getting to the driver.

Pete

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2013, 07:49:35 PM »
Mving along nicely Mike. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline tauruck

« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2013, 04:19:01 AM »
Thanks Frank. Pete, no kevlar in this instance but when it's done you'll understand why. :-)

Offline tauruck

« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2013, 12:20:46 AM »
The Carbon tub is made up of a lot of flat panels. The technique is called cut and fold. I wish it was Origami but hey I chose this path.
The finished product will be two rectangular torsion boxes, one inside the other. The inner is configured to my body as close as I could get it. I sat on the floor against a sheet of cardboard and the missus drew lines. Next step was to cut a template. Blind faith but lo and behold it turned out perfect.
I cut all the panels and bonded them. I wanted to use the autoclave but it's a little too short and making up a vacuum bag that would keep it's integrity with all the clamps and brackets on the part would have been a nightmare. I let it air cure.

The inner box is a five section setup. The main section, the foot box, two short sides and the top. Once they all go together the completed part gets 4 layers of unidirectional Carbon that are layed up with the angle of the fibres running at different angles for each layer and a final twill weave layer that gives it the distinctive look.

The Main section and foot box. I sat in it and it's good. I won't be using a lot of seat foam around the shoulder area. Arm movement is unrestricted.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2013, 12:31:05 AM »
View from the rear. When all the pieces are together there will be a void between the inner and outer boxes. The water pipes and wiring glands will run through the tub at the bottom on each side. The Aluminium tubing gets bonded before the outer box is attached. You can see the holes already cut.

Starrett make the best holesaw ever.
 8-)
I cut Fiberglass, Kevlar, Carbon and all the metals. I can't kill the saws. It's unreal.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2013, 12:37:42 AM »
Motor plates went in great. They need to be shaped some but all in all I'm happy.

Mounting brackets from the chassis to the plates are next.

As long as the car is, she seems to get smaller by the day.

The next big decision is how to run the headers.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2013, 12:42:34 AM »
I'm thinking I'll weld brakets to the top, bottom and diagonal rails to give three mountings per side. Is this overkill?.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2013, 07:28:01 AM »
Holy crap, look at him go!

No such thing as overkill.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.