Author Topic: Windsheild Trim for ALT  (Read 8135 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Windsheild Trim for ALT
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:18:13 AM »
My question is:

Is it required to run the factory aluminum windshield trim in CGALT class?

If I remove the trim and fill the gap with a bead of silicone is that considered against the rules?

First picture should be the gap and the second with the factory trim.

I appreciate the input. Thank you,

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Windsheild Trim for ALT
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:19:36 PM »
No.
If you look at the rule book it states "No taped or filled body, door, or window seams are allowed from the firewall back." 
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:34:59 PM »
Dyno:

that is the way I understand it but thought I would check with the folks that have more experience then I.

Thanks,

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »
I do find one item that I'm not sure how to read it, maybe Dan can help if he gets on the computer....

==========================================================

4K  CONTOUR AND BODY RELATIONSHIP

Contour is the configuration of  external sheet metal and windows.  Removable of trim, lights, floorboards, and interior sheet metal are not part of the contour.  All body,......

============================================================

From that I am thinking the trim can be removed but also thinking you probably can't fill the area where it was as Mike mentioned,

Sum

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:54:19 AM »
Sum

That is where I am confused. I don't mind the trim, the issue is a bunch of salt gets down in the windshield recess. That requires me to remove the windshield each trip to get the salt out.

Dan, would like your insight on this if you can.

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SteveM

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:57:06 AM »
What about applying sealant to the pinch weld on the body, just like a "regular" windshield installation, before attaching the lexan.  In my mind, that should minimize the amount of salt intrusion, while avoiding the "filled" with silicone situation.

Just thinking out loud.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »
What about applying sealant to the pinch weld on the body, just like a "regular" windshield installation, before attaching the lexan.  In my mind, that should minimize the amount of salt intrusion, while avoiding the "filled" with silicone situation.

Just thinking out loud.

Steve.

That ...

...is basically how the windows are on Hooley's Stude and the car has gone through impound before.  When Dan has time I'd also like to see his take on this,

Sum

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »
 Steve:

True, I true to put the windshield in dry against the 3/8 rubber seal. If I goop it up it is harder to get out and requires more effort to clean it to reinstall. With that said the trim works fine for that plan. If I leave the gap the salt will get in the channel when it melts with the water and seeps in. Salt and El Mirage dust get everywhere and anywhere.

I was hoping to seal it up tight so no salt or water got down there so I would have one less thing to disassemble when I return. During this rebuild I have tried to put a lot of thought in the maintenance and service of the car. We talked about getting the pedals off the floor where they get all the salt from our shoes into the pivot mechanisms and such.

My windshield is a pain for one person to R/R. Just thought I would ask. I know a lot of folks are busy with the shootout and El Mirage events. I hope to get some official feedback in the coming weeks.

BR 

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »
What did the class chairperson say? Once again, section 16 is your friend.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 03:29:11 PM »
Wheeler.IMO..your showing of your windshield and a stock one with trim shows me that the use of any sealant would streamline the area whether that was the intent or not. The stock trim has a front lip that is in the air path and even the replacement of a windshield and NOT using the original trim is achieving a subtle advantage. Not sure in altered but you were running against me in gas coupe I would ask for a ruling when the trim was not run.

If running without trim is allowed I would get a windshield at least 1/4" oversize and spend as many hours as it took to "fit" it as close to the lip as possible making sure NO sealant was ever in the groove and betold l'm not legal. One must do what one must do to reach their goals and reading the rules and using them to your advantage is what the true racer does. Ask Smokey. ..........Good luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 07:27:35 PM »
Jimmy six,

That makes sense. It is exactly why I am asking.

It would be a shame to someday find out a hard lesson in impound. I will play it safe and fit he the trim up as tight as I can.

Thanks all for your insight.

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 06:52:26 PM »
Wheeler: I've re-read the rules pertaining to window seams in Altered page 72 and window trim in Gas Coupe on page 73 and IMO see no reason you cannot do something like I suggested. I know it would be a royal pain to trim a window "glass" or whatever product you are using to fit just inside the opening, and after it is attached by whatever method you are using as long as you could take a piece of cardboard and put it in the gap all the way around the window it would be legal. You definately can't seal it and be legal by the second paragragh on Page 72.

Window trim must remain in Gas Coupe and no mention of it in Altered so it can be removed. I realize you want to keep salt or any thing from deteriating you car but following the rules so you won't be removed from impound his high on my list.

Just think if Smokey needed to do this he would probably makt the whole top 1/8" smaller to meet the rule..... :-D..Good Luck J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro