Author Topic: Articles on BUB  (Read 21303 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Articles on BUB
« on: September 10, 2013, 12:35:44 AM »
The August 2013 Classic Bike Guide is on the stands here in the US.  It is the most land speed friendly of the British magazines for folks with older cycles.  The BUB meet is listed on their events calendar.  This issue has the second article on Baron's Speed shop and Peter D Allen's bike.  There is an article about LSR on the Pendine Sands.  Then, to top off everything, there is a little picture of a guy and his bike.  A 1981 RD350 with a 427cc Yamaha Banshee motor.  It is a clean job and it looks like the factory built it that way.  An 86 hp RD. 

More BUB articles will be posted when I find them.     

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Articles on BUB
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:51:09 PM »
The on-line FIM has a small article about Al Lamb on p13 and he is at an awards ceremony on p73.  Hopefully this link workswww.fim-live.com/en/media/fim-magazine/latest-issue/

Al does a good job of representing us. It is amazing how many forms of bike racing the FIM sanctions.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 12:49:13 AM »
The September issue of Classic Bike guide is here. It has the third article on the Baron's Speed Shop bike and preparations for Bonneville.  There is another in-depth article on the Brough Superior teams efforts and bikes. 
These articles are well written.  Classic Bike Guide had an article on our Team Go Dog, Go Triumph several years ago.     

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 11:47:57 PM »
Scooter Grubb's pictures are up through Bike # 242.  www.scootershoots.com/BUBMotorcycleSpeedTrials/2013-BUB-Motorcycle-Speed/

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:29:15 AM »
An article on Triumph's land speed streamliner is in the company's on-line magazine spirit.triumphmotorcycles.com

A 500cc pre-war Triumph land speed bike is featured in another article.  Land speed records were set at the Brooklands track in Surrey in those days.

Offline comet

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 07:57:14 AM »
Unfortunately most of Brooklands is now a Tesco (a bit like Walmart). No racing there now for years. But they do have a brilliant museum.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 12:12:29 AM »
You could race down the aisles...

The closest we have to brooklands is the speed bowl at Nardo, Italy.  They were going to hold FIM land speed races there this year and something happened so they did not.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 07:31:43 AM »
The Brooklands high speed track had the necessary banking but was not a true oval as there was a 'pinch' in one side so the cars and bikes had to sweep to the right on each lap.

There is a high speed track which is a perfect circle at Millbrook Proving Ground,Bedfordshire, England, used for endurance and time period attempts.  Another test track is a sort of 'Tri-Oval' which is at the (Motor Industry Research Association) MIRA test facility in the Midlands, England. The race track at Rockingham, Corby, England has a Champ Car/Nascar oval but I do not know if they have allowed motorcycles and only part of the track is now being raced on.

Malcolm UK, England.     
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 01:19:05 AM »
The latest triumph magazine has more in-depth information about the Triumph Streamliner.  The body is carbon fiber and there is no tube frame.  A section of the old Brooklands track and an old Triumph land speed racer are shown on page 10.  Pages 12 and 18 have some videos you old guys should not watch.  Here is the link spirit.triumphmotorcycles.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 01:44:11 AM »
The AMA 650 Modified Pushrod Blown Fuel (M-PBF 650cc) record was set this year by Derek Pauletto riding Raquel, his 1070 Triumph Bonneville.  The record speed is 125.703 mph.  There is an article about him in the October 2013 "Classic Bike" magazine and it is on the stands now.  It is written by the magazine's American correspondent, Mark Gardiner, who has some salt flats experience.       

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 07:25:17 AM »
The AMA 650 Modified Pushrod Blown Fuel (M-PBF 650cc) record was set this year by Derek Pauletto riding Raquel, his 1070 Triumph Bonneville.  The record speed is 125.703 mph.  There is an article about him in the October 2013 "Classic Bike" magazine and it is on the stands now.  It is written by the magazine's American correspondent, Mark Gardiner, who has some salt flats experience.       
Not to complain or cry sour grapes, but I sometimes wonder how some people get recognition in magazine articles while others achieve similar or better results and get none. For example, we met and assisted a young fellow  (Alp from California, by driving his truck back to the pits after his successful runs because he had no pit crew) ride his vintage 650 Triumph to a new 650cc-M-VG record of 127.092 mph - - not fuel, not supercharged, and vintage to boot.  Of course, any article on the trials and tribulations of a Salt Flat Racer are welcomed and much appreciated. I must try to get a subscription to "Classic Bike" and "Classic Bike Guide," as they are not available locally.
Tom

We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 04:07:36 PM »
Heck, I do not know.  Pondering the deep meaning of things and responding in a tasteful and correct manner are beyond me.  I simply posts what I sees. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »
Tom, there are Barnes and Nobles book stores here.  They might have one in a bigger city in Colorado.  They stock a lot of bike mags and plenty from the UK.  The ones around here have in-house coffee shops and plenty of tables and chairs for reading.  It is possible to look over the magazines before buying one or two.  These are some on modern bikes.  No opinion on those.  I fall asleep somewhere during the first article.  The Brit magazine with the most info on LSR is Classic Bike Guide.  Another useful mag UK mag for someone who races the 'saurs is Classic Racer.  It would be those if I had only two subscriptions. 

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 10:21:39 AM »
Hi Bo

November's Classic Bike Guide has the 3rd and final instalment of the Epsom Salt's trip from the UK to BUB this year. Quite a nice 6 page spread.

Because we are a shop too, we actively look for opportunities for free publicity, and in this instance we made contact with Gary Pinchin, editor of Classic Bike Guide, and invited him to the shop to watch parts of the build. It was interesting enough for him to commission a 3 edition story of the build and the actual attempt.

We had already provided him with a piece on the return of racing to the famous Pendine Sands after 70 odd years with my Tiger 100
drag bike.

It's probably easier for us to get the exposure compared to the US as we are a much smaller nation and get a chance to meet the editors at various events throughout the year to make a pitch for an article. As was said above, our record was totally eclipsed by that of Alps on his pre-unit with his fantastic speed just short of 130mph. He deserved more publicity than us, no doubt about that.

Peter

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 07:14:38 AM »
Good to hear from you, Peter.  I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and the boys a BUB and your bike definitely deserved the attention it got.  I think you're correct about getting exposure in England.  It seems that all the good bike magazines come from there, and even the crowds at your racing events are fantastic.  Motorcycle racing in North America is not a large draw for spectators, at least not at the amateur level, and as a result, journalists are rightfully not as interested.

We need to keep the plot - - we are participating in this sport for fun and self fulfillment.  And of course, for the respect of our peers.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!