Author Topic: starter with rear engine plate  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

starter with rear engine plate
« on: September 06, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »
It appears that with a 1/4"rear plate on a BBC, the starter only engages about halfway into the flywheel. Been this way since I've had it and keep forgetting to check. It cranks sorta OK but makes (in my opinion) abnormal noises. Are there any longer noses available or modifications to make or am I just going to have to live with it? Any help will be appreciated.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: starter with rear engine plate
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »
is this a flywheel or a flex plate---why--  is it spaced out from the back of the fly wheel??
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
Sparky
Flywheel. Have to re-look (word?) at problem. Tired, OLD, lying on back, pointed wrong way doesn't help situation. Maybe fingers too fast? After more thinking, plate wouldn't change flywheel relationship to conventional starter. DUH! Sounds like other problems to sort out before WF. Runs but want to be sure it's  OK.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »
One word, "shims".
  Sid.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
Sounds like the flywheel may be shimmed away from the back of the crank to make up for the motor plate distance.   Shimming the starter won't help - it will actually make it worse. This is a noodle scratcher, but there must be a somewhat available solution.  After all, you can't be the first guy to have a BBC and a motor plate.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »
if you are using a G.M starter...Cadillac starters have a longer snout.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Jon

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
+ 1 on whAt Sid  is saying 

Sounds like the starter centerline is too close to the crankshaft centerline causing the teeth to bind and not engage fully, only the lead of the teeth on the pinion and ring gear will be engaging.

I've found the same issue a couple of times, a shim between the starter and block opens up the gap between the teeth letting the starter to fully engage.

Rear plate doesn't change the flywheel/starter/crank/block relationship at all.

jon
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 04:44:43 PM by Jon »
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
You need to check it out of the car if possible. With the starter hand engaged ( I use a screw driver to wedge out the gear)you need a gap at the bottom of the mesh. I've always use a paper clip and the starter gear on the width of the flywheel/ring-gear. That's what those "help" section are at Pep Boys for the shims.

As for depth, take the starter off the aluminum block and machine where  it fits. I've had a machinist do itat work. Took .100" where the starter attacked to the aluminum block. A Ford is much easier. Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 10:16:05 AM »
Hadn't worked on C-words in years. Age caused brain fart, forgot about shims on starters. Closer look shows shiny on top of starter teeth which mean not enough clearance to bendix. Shims should cure.
 Thanks everyone for your input.

Ron

Offline SteveM

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
Brain fart here, too.  I was thinking in terms of one of the very old-school "face mount" Chevy starters, where shimming would move the starter forward on the block.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers