Author Topic: Push bar versus tow strap.  (Read 18477 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Push bar versus tow strap.
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »
Is it common to PUSH the race vehicle back to the pits / to the start line, and all other places it would need to go?...

Hooley pushed me from the pits to the starting line just so I could get some seat time in the car.  I didn't like it as I'm sitting much lower in the car and it has limited visibility so it is hard to tell where you are going.  I almost went past the fuel truck and when we got down to the course lanes it was very hard to tell where I was going getting over to the #3 course.

Towing a car and sitting up higher in the tow/push vehicle you have a much better/safer view of what is going on.  Put on a tow bar and you will be much happier  :-).

Towing with a strap requires a good team (tow'er/tow'ee) and sooner or later the team you have might not be a good combination.  There again the visibility out of a lot of these race cars is not good and there is a lot of traffic at times between your pit and the starting line and then back to the pit.  Being pushed or towed in these situations can get old after a while,

Sum

Offline Tman

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »
We use walkie talkies between the pull truck and race truck. That way you can warn the driver of bumps, traffic, abrupt changes from yahoos w/o an orange pit sticker on the return road etc................

Offline SteveM

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »
I bought an adjustable tow-bar setup from Harbor Freight that I'm going to adapt.  (I know, I know, cheap Chinese crap). 

There's not a whole lotta structure to the Rapage bumpers, but if you look carefully, you can find the strong areas.

I think I'm going to be able to bolt the HF mounts through the headlight "recess" area of the front fascia.  Directly behind/underneath this area are the 2 main steel bumper brackets which extend back into the frame horns.

It should be solid, and if I can ever find a set of the OEM headlight covers, these mounts would be hidden behind the covers (P4286820 and/or P4286821 for those of you who might have a stash of mid-80's Mopar Performance headlight covers).

I have been looking for a set of these covers for almost 2 years, and have not found a single set.  It's not that I'm not willing to pay someone's price, it's that I haven't even seen 1 pair available for sale.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »
Steve:

You will be happy towing the vehicle from a tow bar.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »
When we built the wood-inserted push bar for the front of the truck, I was concerned that "double-hitting" (?) would set off the air bags in the truck.  A well-informed service manager said if we re-hit the race car hard enuf to set off the air bags, we'd be glad it did.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
When we built the wood-inserted push bar for the front of the truck, I was concerned that "double-hitting" (?) would set off the air bags in the truck.  A well-informed service manager said if we re-hit the race car hard enuf to set off the air bags, we'd be glad it did.

I double tapped Tim a few times this year :oops: Some times it just happens!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »
Gotta get me in the first 10 feet -- or I'm gone.  If I can't out-accelerate the truck, I need a new sport.  'course the highest gear we've ever run was a 3.00.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records