Author Topic: Push bar versus tow strap.  (Read 18480 times)

Offline jdincau

Re: Push bar versus tow strap.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »
Steve;

If you do fabricate a wooden bumper for your Dodge pickup, please take pictures and post them to show how you did it. I also have a Dodge and I was considering doing something similar to mine.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

take a look at these, I put one on my 2004 Dodge and use a single vertical post to push the roadsters off. They both have a horizontal bar across the back. No turning sharp corners with this setup though.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/curt-front-mount-hitches/p3089871.jcwx?filterid=c2324j2

You could modify it to have two receivers if you wanted the more traditional slab of wood across the front
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 05:09:09 PM »
My Ram 2500 has the bolt-on tow hooks which attach to the frame at the front bumper mount locations.

I was originally thinking of making some removable brackets which could be bolted on in place of the factory tow hooks, and which would support a traditional flat wooden piece.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »
If you pull -

Either get a bra for the Rampage or BIG mudflaps on the tow vehicle.

No sense in kicking salt into your radiator and having to clean your windshield EVERY SINGLE TIME you tow the racer.

I'm STILL desalinating.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »
Is it common to PUSH the race vehicle back to the pits / to the start line, and all other places it would need to go?

Since I've never been there, I only have a mental picture of "pushing off" at the start line, but always assumed that the race vehicles would be towed around by strap any other time the race vehicle needs to be moved.

Of course, this may be a completely unfounded assumption.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 05:44:06 PM »
I have used all---a tow bar is only second to a--- low boy easy to load trailer---it will not take you long to get where you can back up to hook up with slight angst and several jump out to check just where you are--- it is a long way round for pushing and tow strapping--try it with a vech that has no suspension.. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:45:39 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
My pickup has a very handy back-up camera built into the tailgate handle.  VERY HANDY for hooking up trailers, hitches, and the like.

Steve.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
We only use the push bar for getting the race vehicle off the starting line. We have a tow dolly for the modified roadster and a tow bar for the street roadster. Large mud flaps on the tow truck. Lots of people push their cars around but keep in mind it is a 3 mile push to the nearest starting line and if you use one of the other courses a six or seven mile push back.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 08:04:34 PM »
I know you're talking car, not bike, but we had a trailer made specifically for our bike(s) at Bonneville.  It's got about 1/2" ground clearance - so no loading ramp is needed.  It has removable wheels, mounted on little spindles that are welded to 2" square tube from a trailer hitch.  When we're ready to go traveling -- we take the wheels off the trailerette (as we call it) and then bolt the little trailer to the floor of the big trailer.  With that we've got not only a place to store the thing without losing any room in the trailer, but also we've got good tie-down points to hold the bike safe and steady when going down the road.

Maybe you can get some ideas from our rig.  I could send photos if you needed 'em.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
I'm picturing in my mind, a "reverse triangle", with the pivot point being the tow eye of the Rampage, and making the wider base of the triangle so that it's supported by the receiver hitch on the "big truck".

You want the pivot as close to the axle centerline as possible. If you were on the centerline the tow vehicle wouldn't move left-right when the the tow truck turns.

If you use a reverse triangle the pivot point is very far from the axle and when the truck turns the pivot point is going to take a wide swing.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 09:02:12 PM »
if you have a rear view seeing eye dog  :-o :-o  what is your worry about a tow bar  :?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:00:18 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SteveM

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »
I'm not worried about a tow-bar, I hadn't even considered the possibility before today.  It wasn't on my radar.

I was planning only on using a tow strap.  I've towed enough cars on straps in the past, that I know the dangers associated with doing so, and what it takes to do it "right".

The tow bar seems like a good option.  I need to spend a little time figuring out what it would take to make it work for me.

I know I can fab up a push board for the front of the Support Truck, and a vertical bar to hook onto the hitch of the Rampage.

I now have a couple of good options to consider.

That's one of the things that's so nice about a forum like this, expanding possibilities and learning new things.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »
Tow bars are super easy  if you use a "real" tow bar like tow master, blue ox or any motor home  type setup. We used a sterling by tow master on the fairlne the whole time we ran it. It was just too simple.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 11:22:27 PM »
there is one distinct advantage to having a towbar it means the driver is in with the crew immediately after the run it is the best time to talk about what has gone on if you use a tow rope the driver has to concentrate in the car about controlling it until you get back to the pit and that valuable moment has gone.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 12:01:32 AM »
 :cheers: spot on Dr G

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »
I thought that the race vehicle had to have someone in it for any tow or push on the salt.  Does a 3 point tow bar eliminate that rule? This was in the event rules rather than the annual rule book.  I asked a couple of years ago during Rookie Orientation and was told regardless of the connection to the tow/push vehicle someone had to be able to steer and stop the car if it came disconnected.  After that, we used a single point tow link which definitely requires someone steering.
Rabid Snail Racing