Author Topic: Push bar versus tow strap.  (Read 18474 times)

Offline SteveM

Push bar versus tow strap.
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »
With the recent cancellation of WofS, I have a few weeks to work out some of the finer points on my H/DT Dodge Rampage.

This truck is perfectly capable of leaving from a standing start using its own transmission.  I don't need a "push truck" to get going off the line.

It was my intention to tow the Rampage around everywhere it needs to go on the salt.  With minimal brakes, however, I can see that it may become difficult to keep tension on the tow strap during all maneuvers.  The manual rear drum brakes are OK for slowing the Rampage down, but hardly enough to keep tension on the tow strap with my Ram 2500 on the pulling end of the strap.

Do you guys find it more handy to use a pickup truck as a "pusher" for around the pits, etc?  Would you share some stories about the preferred methods, as I know the race vehicle isn't allowed to be moved around under its own power.

With my schedule suddenly open between now and Sept 30th, I have time to fabricate a flat wooden bumper for the front of the Ram 2500, and a push bar/wheel configuration for the back of the Rampage.

As always, I welcome your input.

Steve.

Steve.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline asaltvehicle

• New folks
  • C/FMP
Re: Push bar versus tow strap.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »
Why not use just a solid link, like a piece of tubing with a trailer ball on the truck end and a swivel on the Race car end.. the tow vehicle can still do all the braking, you just need someone to steer the car.
You can never have too much Horsepower...or Ammunition!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:11:01 PM »
With a tow bar you won't need someone to ride in the towed vehicle. Add a shield to the front to stop salt spray form the tow vehicle.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »
I'm learning new things. :-D

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »
Steve;

If you do fabricate a wooden bumper for your Dodge pickup, please take pictures and post them to show how you did it. I also have a Dodge and I was considering doing something similar to mine.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 12:25:41 PM »
I would use both- one to push off and one to pull. I know you don't "need" a push, but getting the
diesel up to 15 off the line may do wonders. Especially if you ever run in Ohio or Maine. As for the
tow bar, a triangulated set up attached to the receiver works very well. I've used a pull strap for a
long time and will be implementing a tow bar for my next vehicle.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 01:03:17 PM »
I've always used a tow strap, easy one man hook up. Triangulated Tow bar has always been a pain to line up for just one person. I still use it for short trips around town on the highway when the trailer is just too much hassle. as for the Push bar on the back of the truck, rule say you gotta have one for the event; so the caretakers can push you off the course with their push board equipped trucks.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline JR529

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »
we have used all types.

Tow strap is the easiest but you will have a big salt issue on the race car. 2 man job
Push bar is the cleanest and can help launch the car faster than it can do on it's own. 2 man job.
Triangulated tow bar is a 1 man job but a PITA to hook up. If you make a salt blocker the race car can remain somewhat clean.
We use a tilting trailer with a winch and it is a 2 man job to load but only a 1 man tow and by far the cleanest and easiest but we dont have any clearance issues when loading so it is easier than most.

YMMV

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »
A tow bar for Bonneville is in my opinion worth the effort.

A. Is was about 9 miles from our pit to the start line of course # 4, so the car is in tow a lot
B. It is hot as heck and sitting in the car during the tow is rough duty
C. Weak brakes and low surface friction could mean disaster if the guy in the tow vehicle loses concentration. Remember on the return road you may be towing at 40 or 50 mph.
D. When its time to move up in line, some times the towing assistant has wandered off to the honey bucket. With a tow bar not an issue.
E. Less in and out of the car means less salt and crude in the car.
F. People trip over the tow rope and some will try and cross is just as you start to pull up.
G. Spend a lot of time looking in the mirror at the vehicle in tow, could spell disaster by not watching where you are going.

Down side:
A. need to build some detachable mud flaps for tow bar or the front of the car will be a salty mess.
B. does not back up well
C. tow bar is a challenge to engineer on the front of some vehicles

That's my experience for what it is worth.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SteveM

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »
I like the tow-bar idea.

Let me bounce this around...

I have a single, 3/4" diameter eye bolt on the front of the Rampage right now.

There are not a whole lot of solid mounting points on the front of this thing.

I'm familiar with most tow-bar setups, where the "triangle" shape of the tow bar typically points forward, with the trailer hitch ball being the pivot point.  That's the conventional setup, but the Rampage front end doesn't lend itself particularly well to this arrangement.

I'm picturing in my mind, a "reverse triangle", with the pivot point being the tow eye of the Rampage, and making the wider base of the triangle so that it's supported by the receiver hitch on the "big truck".

Feedback appreciated.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 03:01:12 PM »
It would obviously tow but not sure how it would trail the tow vehicle.

We used 1/2 quick pins and drilled through the support in the bumper mount. Then slotted the bumper on the mill. On the driver's side there is a tow ring that insets when the tow bar is removed.

Not sure what is behind the bumper cover on a Rampage

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SteveM

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »

Not sure what is behind the bumper cover on a Rampage

BR

Not much. 

It's a stamped aluminum bumper, (steel mounts)  with several "cut out" areas for the running lights and air flow to the radiator.  From the factory, the Rampages had the "cushion mount" impact absorbing bumper mounts.

I have bypassed the cushion mounts and welded the bumper brackets solid, effectively removing the cushion effect and making the mounts solid.

I'll take another look behind the nose to see if I can come up with a good way to mount a traditional tow bar.  Maybe I can find a way to mount some stout steel brackets to use a hitch pin arrangement like you have shown, BR.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »
I think that I'd rather have tow bar.  2010:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »
 :-o  That's what I want to avoid.

The other thing I want to avoid is getting slack in the strap and then "yanking" something out of line on the front of the Rampage.

I think I'll swing by Harbor Freight and/or Northern Tool over the weeknd to do a little tow-bar brainstorming.

Steve.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »
You could consider a car dolly used by RV's. See them on E bay and other ads in the news papers.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah