Author Topic: Advice please: Trailer for lakester  (Read 15611 times)

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
Re: Advice please: Trailer for lakester
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 07:15:11 AM »
Karl,
better than fine out now than after the purchase.

a big thank you to him, huh?

Franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 09:00:25 AM »
Karl, no problem, I thought I saw you at the 2 Club dinner, but I wasn't much of a social butterfly that night and left right after Pork Pie was inducted into the club.  Maybe we will see you at the finals, that is our next and last chance to run the lakester this year. 
If you pass through Wichita on your way to anywhere, stop by for a chat and a beer.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 11:57:57 PM »
Karl...If you buy the Simca from Smiley, let me know. I have some very fond memories of both building and running it with Jay, over 20 years ago now.....If you have questions, maybe I can answer them... :cheers:

Offline entropy

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 04:06:56 AM »
Karl, no problem, I thought I saw you at the 2 Club dinner, but I wasn't much of a social butterfly that night and left right after Pork Pie was inducted into the club.  Maybe we will see you at the finals, that is our next and last chance to run the lakester this year. 
If you pass through Wichita on your way to anywhere, stop by for a chat and a beer.

Robert,
One of these days, I WILL take you up on your kind offer of "chat and a beer".  Wichita is right on the "longer, but mindless route" to/from Houston-Bonneville.  I am all about "mindless" & beer!
Karl

Offline entropy

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 04:17:55 AM »
Karl...If you buy the Simca from Smiley, let me know. I have some very fond memories of both building and running it with Jay, over 20 years ago now.....If you have questions, maybe I can answer them... :cheers:

KiwiPaul:
Don & I sure do have questions about Smiley's car, and would be really, REALLY interested in talking to you before we buy it.
At this point, Don & I are pretty flexible about what we buy; but as in the dragster-based car, we don't want to waste time if avoidable. 
I like to build stuff, but i 110% more love to hear an engine under my butt.
My Partner Don is 10X, no make that 100X, the fabricator that I am, but he also has a big thing about being told: "the track is yours..."
If at all possible, we'd like to have wheels on salt next summer, even if in a prelim/development car.

When is the most convenient time to contact you? 

My cell is 281 705 3394; guntekd@gmail.com

Karl

Offline entropy

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 04:26:04 AM »
Karl,
better than fine out now than after the purchase.
a big thank you to him, huh?
Franey

Franey,
you know Joe, he is a Prince.
A HUGE thanks to Mr Timney!!!!

Karl

Offline Tman

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 09:53:53 AM »

Nice to put a face to the project. I too have fond memories of reading the buildup as a teen. I will have to dig those articles out!

Offline lowflyer

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 11:15:04 AM »
Hi everyone, I am Don, the other half of this partnership.
Kiwi Paul, I chatted with you at tech about the blue car and talked you in to some ice cream...
Looking forward to seeing the car tomorrow, we know the cage will need to be updated along with all the safety stuff, anything else we should be on the lookout for? I have a background in aircraft inspection and repair, will be looking for corrosion and cracked tubing and such. Any advice welcome. The plan would be to run the car as before, a small displacement Comp. Coupe.
Thanks in advance, this group is very helpful, can't wait to get started.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »
CORROSION ---believe me  with your back ground the only thing I would suggest is a sonic tester---something that old is most likely going to be sonic tested for thickness most likely
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 11:21:18 PM »
Don---That Ice Cream hit the spot !! Tomorrow is my wife`s birthday, but mid afternoon PST might still work. Or else it will be Monday night.I have another fellow to talk to about it as well. Sparky has a point about Sonic testing, but the car has been stored since `94, and only had 5 trips there. I`ll go over some stuff with you, but try to get a complete list of what is with the car. I`ll try to give you a sense of the updates I can think of. Also may be a good place for one of Karl`s two wheel powerplants......KP...

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 11:32:51 PM »
Sonic testing for thickness?  What about just drilling a hole in a non-critical area, measuring with a dial caliper, and doing the math?  I know that's the way it's done in some places.
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Tman

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 02:12:46 PM »
Our only sponsor, a truck salvage, donated a semi truck aero dam for us to use on the front of our trailer. Should help the mileage and keep the car clean. I plan on building storage inside it ala Stainless and Johnboy.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 05:20:11 PM »
Trimmers, not acceptable by SCTA/BNI poeple have drilled holes and brazed them for false thickness,
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline entropy

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 08:57:03 AM »
Don---... I`ll go over some stuff with you..KP...

KiwiPaul,
Thanks a million for taking the time to call us as we were traveling back from seeing the car.
Your timing was perfect!!!
Your detailed, 1st hand knowledge of the build of that car + your Inspection Expertise is invaluable.
You have no idea how much we appreciate your thoughts. :cheers:

It has very pretty lines, both Don & I like it and can envision a 4cyl motorcycle engine dropping in.
Rust is almost non existent, somebody put serious time into cleaning it 20 years ago.
We are big boys (TFA!), so some size accommodations would have to be made if we go for it.

Smiley with his pride n' joy!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:59:46 AM by entropy »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 10:27:48 AM »

....We are big boys (TFA!), so some size accommodations would have to be made if we go for it.....

Beautiful car. 

I'm sure you are aware, but that room inside is going to shrink a lot more by the time you get a new cage in there with a bar by the door and the hoop around your head.

What are you plans on getting the power from the MC engine to the rear?

Sum