Author Topic: Advice please: Trailer for lakester  (Read 15610 times)

Offline entropy

Advice please: Trailer for lakester
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:23:30 AM »
My Partner Don Davila & I have committed to buying a "Project in Progress" Lakester from Patrick D.
We are ex-bike guys, and are 110% thrilled with the project.
I am the motor guy, Don is the chassis/bodywork guy.

NEITHER of us is yet "the trailer guy"

At this point we want to get a light, (probably) open trailer to haul the 24' (end to end) vehicle around Houston and next summer, to the salt. A bigger, closed trailer is probably gonna happen a couple years down the way, but not yet.
We are looking for any advice regarding light trailering options.  Glider trailer?  Custom?
Car is currently in LA.

Thanks for any help you folk can provide. :cheers:

Karl

Offline DND

Re: Advice please: Trailer for lakester
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 06:01:24 AM »
Hi Don & Karl

Well I see you finally jumped into the deep end of the pool getting your Salt runner.

That is very good news and I hope you two do well and have a lot of fun too, as it is such a great place

I guess it depends a lot on how you are going to get your car back to the pits, trailer it or tow it?

Sure seems like a lot of extra work to load and unload it each time, with a open front end like you have just hook on a tow bar with a lot less effort

Later, Don

Offline entropy

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »
Hi Don & Karl

Well I see you finally jumped into the deep end of the pool getting your Salt runner.

That is very good news and I hope you two do well and have a lot of fun too, as it is such a great place

I guess it depends a lot on how you are going to get your car back to the pits, trailer it or tow it?

Sure seems like a lot of extra work to load and unload it each time, with a open front end like you have just hook on a tow bar with a lot less effort

Later, Don

Don,
thanks for your thoughts; i was thinking about towing it to/from the pits, but am open to all options.
Karl

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:19:41 AM »
I have a Sloan Quick Load and love it.

Mine is 20' and I'm not sure what lengths they make.

They are made in Texas.

Don

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:10:59 AM »
My open trailer is likely not at all what you want -- but where I got it might be of interest.

We needed to rent a trailer to take our skid/steer to a shop a few hundred miles away, so I called the local rental place (independent, by the way) to get a price and such.  After we decided on what would do the job - 20', open, HD loading ramps (The Bobcat weighs about 7000#), etc -- the rental guy asked if I'd like to buy the trailer instead of just renting it.  He explained -- they rent equipment for a while, and sooner or later they then sell it to the public - at a used equipment price.  I got the $5000 trailer for about half that -- and the price included some chains and load binders.  And now I don't have to rent a trailer each time I want to move something.

So - how 'bout you and your partner checking out trailers at a rental location, finding one you like, and then offering to buy it out of their inventory?  You might get just what you want - for a bunch less $$.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »
Karl, trailering on the salt is a lot easier than towing.... working on the ground on a short car is hard on a tall guy... We built a custom trailer for working and towing, it was easier than the adapting we did at first. 
Wheel track and base measurements will help determine what size trailer you can use.  We might have a long narrow trailer you could borrow until we decide what our future plans are.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sabat

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 10:39:48 AM »
Congrats Karl, looks like a good start. I hope you will start a build diary thread.

Sorry, I'm no help with trailers - I just prowl on Craigslist with cash in hand, ready to pounce.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »
Regardless of the type of open trailer you end up with you will want a sheild in the front to prevent dirt, water and salt spray. On the salt you have a lot longer tow back to the pits or starting line. Protection and cleaning salt off is critical. A two axle trailer with load rated "E" tires and maybe two spares is a good idea. In the archives there has been a lot of discussions on trailer tires and towing in general.Good luck on your new toy.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 11:54:19 AM »
Consider tire damage while towing on the salt.

It happens and the tow distances seem to be

getting longer and longer.

Race tires are not cheap.

They need to be pampered.

I vote trailer.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »
I am converting a boat trailer--the axles under a boat trailer are usually made to slide real easy to get their tounge weight right--I plan on towing the car backwards and putting air bags so I can drop it to load easy on the salt
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:36:22 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »
I heartily agree with Sparky's boat trailer idea. You can pick them up for cheap and fabricate brackets for your specific vehicle. A medium length bass boat trailer will be a great fit for the lakester and keep things relatively
low for loading. I've seen them for $500 or less.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 12:06:24 PM »
WOW !! A boat trailer.

It may have already been introduced to salt water.

You won't have to teach it as much.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 01:25:21 PM »
and if it hasn't it will be sooner or later at the great white dyno
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »
Sadly an ex boat trailer would feel right at home on the salt today

Offline entropy

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 02:05:55 AM »
Wow!!!!
There are a bunch of great suggestions, thanks much guys! :cheers:

Special thanks to stainless1 for the offer of a loaner.
Robert, we were at Speedweek, very much looking forward to meeting you.
However, when you had that lil incident, i wasn't comfortable intruding on yr pits.  Next time?

Bad/good news is that we've been talking with Joe Timney (Delaware Chassis Works); know him from our bikes running at Maxton & Wilmington.  Joe confirmed that the tubing on the car we were getting wouldn't pass tech at Bonneville.

So we are back to looking.
On Sun we'll go to Dallas and look at Smiley's blue coupe-looking car.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:07:54 AM by entropy »