Author Topic: Racer in need of club  (Read 10179 times)

Offline Eddieschopshop

Racer in need of club
« on: September 05, 2013, 01:07:46 AM »
I was really hoping to run on a record this year.  However I am not currently a member of a club. 

I have some friends in the Rod Riders one of whom has been very helpful in introducing me around and showing me the ropes.  I have met a few of the Rod Riders and it seems like a great group of people.  Although I have been to El Mirage twice this year,  helping once,  shaking down my new car as a guest once,  and also running at Speedweek this year,  I have not been able to make it to any club functions as of yet.  Unfortunately living in Sacramento makes it very difficult to make a trip to So Cal for BBq's and meetings.  By the time I make it to the required functions it will be into next summer before I can run on a record.  I respect their procedures so it is what it is.

However if any of the clubs have a provisional type membership or such that would allow me to run for a record this year it would be awesome!  I designed, built, drove,  established a record at Bville in 8 months.  Having to wait till next year before I can even attempt a record at El Mirage is a little slow for someone trying to go fast!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Ed
Eddie's Chop Shop

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
Re: Racer in need of club
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 01:50:23 AM »
I'll help you get into a club, Eddie - as long as you don't plan on running in my class - I need to "pick some cherries" first!  :-D

Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:58:19 AM »
lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 10:48:04 AM »
I'll help you get into a club, Eddie - as long as you don't plan on running in my class - I need to "pick some cherries" first!  :-D

Willi

Salt can help you! He is a member of the Western America Cherry Pickers Association (WECPA) Santa Barbara Chapter. (Pronoused Whek Pa).

Hey Salt, show the man the secret hand shake. Congrates you now are a member of the Western America Cherry Pickers Association (WECPA) Sacramento Chapter!!!!

Easy wasn't it!!!!

Remember!! "You can only pop that cherry once".   :wink:
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:13:19 AM »
Is it slightly more respectable to pick a cherry,  simply because that was the motor combination you already had?  I built the car around the parts I had not because it was the easy record.   Especially since I think I have the ability to get the record to a respectable level,  not just going to settle for a name in the book that isn't competitive. 

I am running B/BGRMR.  No established record at Elmo yet.  210 Minimum is doable though I think,  may also try for the fuel which is 240,  also doable with my gas motor (I think,  its always easier when your bench racing)

If  I pick a cherry and then stick with that class to bump it next year is that okay?  I read the other thread,  and have a few opinions although I stayed out of it since I am  a "newbie".   

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »
I am not sure, but I think attending El Mirage or Bonneville is counted as a club event. And meets the three club function rule. I am a Rod Rider and have been for some years. I have never been to a meeting.But I really should go to one.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »
There are a couple of clubs that accept out of area membership.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 01:33:25 PM »
Eddie, the LSR (Land Speed Racers) is always looking for new members. We'd love to have you.

Mike LeFevers

Our contact info is in the rule book.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 03:39:56 PM »
You can be a BNI member only & run the salt but I don't know if that applies to Elmo or not.
  Sid.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 05:22:58 PM »
BNI membership will not help on the lake

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  As of today the pistons may hold me up from making world so Elmo will be my last chance for this year.  Maybe October but definitely November.

Mike.  I'll get in touch Thanks 

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 12:48:27 AM »
Eddie,

The San Diego Roadster Club also accepts members that live out of the area. There are many fine Clubs that contribute to LSR.

Tom

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 03:05:43 AM »
Eddie, you could also become a charter member of the WECPA!
Soon to be accredited by the SCTA, it will be filling he vacuum left by the dissolution of the venerable Lakers (no, not THOSE Lakers).
See ya in November on the dirt. I won't run in your class, promise.

Willi

"Pickin' salty and dirty cherries since 1989."
Who Has More Fun?

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »
Hey Willi,  What is the minimum cherry count to become a charter member?  I definitely will add this to my list of goals and accomplishments for my rookie season.  Is it possible that there is a record for the most cherries in one season?  If so I believe this to be the highest of all LSR honors and will move mountains to accomplish it!

In all reality I would really like to see someone running in my class soon....  Otherwise I may have to make a switch to yours just to make it interesting....  I don't mind losing if its to a fellow cherry alumni!

Thanks TOM,

I had not met anyone from the SDRC yet.  I am from El Cajon... even though that was a loooooong time ago,  moved away when I was 4.  I would like to go to as many functions as possible so San Diego is even more difficult to get too.  Assuming most of your functions are down there?  Your absolutely right there are many fine clubs that contribute (it feels like one big club to an outsider).  Its funny because I have never joined a local car club due to the fact that I have many friends and customers that are in all different clubs.  I would feel disloyal to join one over the other.  Also I am one of those guys who literally works seven days a week and other than an occasional evening function I don't get to many shows or get togethers.

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 12:50:21 AM »
Thanks for all the direction, suggestions.  It looks like as usual I got my throttle foot in front of everything else.  I misunderstood the time frame in which I would be able to run,  so I think the club situation is taken care of. 

I look forwarded to getting to meet more of you in person.  Hopefully after a few more meets I won't be quite in such a thrash mode on the car every time I try and run.  Also now that licensing is out of the way,  I won't have to try and make so many runs before going fast!  Everyone is welcome to come by and tell me everything the newbie is doing wrong and tell me how stupid I am for running a wing!

Thanks Eddie