Author Topic: Shootout 2013  (Read 259581 times)

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Re: Shootout 2013
« Reply #405 on: October 11, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »
 :? :? :? Reminds me of the movie THE LONGEST DAY                TO GO OR NOT TO GO

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #406 on: October 11, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »
Max, wish you were here. People have been asking about you :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline 2club

• New folks
« Reply #407 on: October 11, 2013, 05:46:46 PM »
At 3:15 PM today, 10/11, Mike Cook officially called the event. There will be no shootout for 2013. Despite our best efforts we are unable to provide a course that is long enough and safe enough for the FIM racers to run on. The 6-7 mile remains too damp and is not drying fast enough. And we cannot find a suitable direction that would provide the full eleven miles necessary for record speeds. The storm on Thursday put too much moisture back in the track (see pictures previously posted by Slim). After conferring with Rocky Robinson and the others Mike determine that he could not provide a safe track for the racers who support the event.

Land Speed events would like to thank all the racers sponsors and supporters who have given so selflessly to try and make this race happen. For further details please see the web site at www.landspeedevents.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #408 on: October 11, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »
I was out of touch for a while and missed the meeting where it was decided to give up -- but now we know that there just won't be a Shootout this year.  Dang -- after all of the early plans and hopes and entries -- it was going to be a super-duper event.  I guess all that's left to say is

WAIT 'TIL NEXT YEAR!! :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline superleggera

« Reply #409 on: October 11, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
Everyone tried -- and thanks for doing so and keeping everyone updated with the latest info.  Mother Nature triumphed this year unfortunately.

The 500mph "goal" for 4-wheel streamliners will have to wait as will the 400mph "goal" for motorcycle streamliners.  So for those of you who have never been to the Bonneville Salt Flats -- you better get ready for potentially a fantastic 2014 series of events by teams/individuals in pursuit of those and other records.  I know I'm already counting the days and hoping for some great salt conditions!
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline 2club

• New folks
« Reply #410 on: October 11, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »
Thanks for all the support and the photos Slim.

On a personal note I want to thank Mike Cook and once again point out the extraordinary effort he expended trying to make this race happen. As long as there was any possibility at all of making a race of it he hung in there and worked his butt off to get it done. In particular this year he made sure there were plenty of regular updates for racers and supporters needing to make travel plans. That includes all the great updates posted here by Slim and Ray and the web site and facebook pages that I manage. Anyone who shares that sentiment feel free to post your thoughts here and/or on the web site or facebook page.

Thanks Mike Cook! No one tries harder to serve the racer's needs and we all appreciate it!
And special thanks too for Tommy Roberts who worked tirelessly with Mike all week and sent us regular photos of the progress. Nice going Tommy!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #411 on: October 11, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »
I don't know much about the climate history, nor the pumping schedule for next year, to know if it's possible -- but is there a chance for a Shoot-Out-type event in the late spring or early summer, before SpeedWeek?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline maj

« Reply #412 on: October 11, 2013, 06:29:12 PM »
This yr is just the exception,1 in 20 type thing 
hopefully next will be business as usual

Hats off to Mike, Mikey and Tommy for such a huge effort to make this happen
You guys probably feel like you have run a marathon , hope you have a chance to rest before getting back to day to day routine

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #413 on: October 11, 2013, 07:20:38 PM »
Here is an option / invitation,for all the shootout racers (and all others), Come down to the DLRA Speedweek . End of February 2014.I have spoken to Ron Main , and Rick Vesco about our lake , The Ack Attack team has run here before (and many years ago we had a large contingent of USA racers attend,including Al Teague).

There is some talk (more a rumour),that one of our racers is wanting to hire the lake for the week after Speedweek to run his 'liner, possibly with FIA in attendance.With good salt (heard that before?) we can easily put out an 11 mile course.(Andy Green was out here a few years ago looking at using Lake Gairdner for the Bloodhound, and mapped out three 11 mile tracks).

As many already know , our lake is extremely isolated, and the logistics of just getting there are difficult, but the rewards are many.

So come to Aussie , race on the best salt ,have a short vacation , then head back to get ready for the Bonneville season.

Any questions,,message me or email me at cambridgemotorsport@bigpond.com 

Bob Ellis
DLRA Chief Car Inspector
DLRA 200 Club

Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #414 on: October 11, 2013, 07:40:57 PM »
I don't know much about the climate history, nor the pumping schedule for next year, to know if it's possible -- but is there a chance for a Shoot-Out-type event in the late spring or early summer, before SpeedWeek?

The Utah Salt Flats Racing Associatio use to hold their event in late July before Speed Week if I'm remembering right.  Often the salt was still wet then and I think they finally moved the event to Sept. so as to not take a chance of messing the salt up for Speed Week.

This is what I remember but can't say for sure it was/is totally true.  Maybe Glen or one of the others that has been going for a long time can comment.

And thanks Mike, Jr., Dan, Slim and everyone else for trying and trying to get the event in,

Sumner
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:36:32 PM by Sumner »

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #415 on: October 11, 2013, 07:45:12 PM »
 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:     ITS OFFICLY OVER   

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #416 on: October 11, 2013, 08:09:20 PM »
Bummer....and it looked all so great when Ray (the Rat) and I was out at the salt, Thursday a week ago....except the wind the salt was mostly well dry and at the other places there was enough time to harden properly....

alright, next year we can try again....

meanwhile Mike (Cook) SR and JR can view the picture (from Shootout 2012) on the USB stick which I gave to SR during the Speedweek, SR & JR, enjoy them.

...now the long wintertime to August 14 starts
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline rlague

« Reply #417 on: October 11, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »
Here is an option / invitation,for all the shootout racers (and all others), Come down to the DLRA Speedweek . End of February 2014.I have spoken to Ron Main , and Rick Vesco about our lake , The Ack Attack team has run here before (and many years ago we had a large contingent of USA racers attend,including Al Teague).

There is some talk (more a rumour),that one of our racers is wanting to hire the lake for the week after Speedweek to run his 'liner, possibly with FIA in attendance.With good salt (heard that before?) we can easily put out an 11 mile course.(Andy Green was out here a few years ago looking at using Lake Gairdner for the Bloodhound, and mapped out three 11 mile tracks).

As many already know , our lake is extremely isolated, and the logistics of just getting there are difficult, but the rewards are many.

So come to Aussie , race on the best salt ,have a short vacation , then head back to get ready for the Bonneville season.

Any questions,,message me or email me at cambridgemotorsport@bigpond.com 

Bob Ellis
DLRA Chief Car Inspector
DLRA 200 Club

+1 you are so right Bob.  It is a wonderful place and it does dry out.  the hospitality is the best, the food at the canteen terrific and the beer and wine are amazing!!!!

Maybe Mike Akatiff will want to go again and take Sam Wheeler and his liner this time to race against!!

How 'bout it Mike??
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #418 on: October 11, 2013, 11:09:13 PM »
There is Lake Gairdner in late Feb early March.

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #419 on: October 12, 2013, 01:07:45 AM »
There is Lake Gairdner in late Feb early March.

And it's being "top dressed" at the moment (underwater) just for LSR
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE