Author Topic: Shootout 2013  (Read 259470 times)

Offline Malcolm UK

Re: Shootout 2013
« Reply #390 on: October 10, 2013, 03:29:11 PM »
Very interesting.

Are any of the vehicles FIM legal?  It does not sound like they are motorcycle engine powered.

Only Gabriel is using an engine derived from a motorcycle power unit.  But as Joea has already stated, all three fully meet classes within the FIM. Even the thrust powered class exists for all to run in (what has happened to Mike Charlton?), because of the effort that Richard and I put in directly with the FIM in 1998/1999. It was Denis M who wanted us to differentiate the 'rocket' bike from his wheeldriven entry at that time by not calling it a 'motorcycle' - but the FIM does.

Malcolm, Derby, England
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline joea

« Reply #391 on: October 10, 2013, 03:48:22 PM »
Another thread jack while waiting:

Two of the brit bikes are motors driving the rear wheel and one in front...that is a motorcycle...!, the other is at least a jet/rocket bike ...

its like arguing that sams front solid wheel is not a motorcycle tire ... cuz it was purposely designed and built one off...

tough time to ask...BUT many of us compete for limited spots at jobs for vaca time , a year in advance orvits gone......any ideas known about possible Shootout dates for 2014...

Offline rlague

« Reply #392 on: October 10, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »
Another thread jack while waiting:

its like arguing that sams front solid wheel is not a motorcycle tire ... cuz it was purposely designed and built one off...

Then what about Mike's M/T car tires on the Ack Attack?  They are not motorcycle tires.
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline joea

« Reply #393 on: October 10, 2013, 04:34:54 PM »
Nevermind it was an analogy...eluding to discrediting others with two wheeled liners that are wheel driven

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #394 on: October 10, 2013, 05:03:30 PM »
Here's some more from my adventure on the salt today.  To sum it up in a few words -- the worst spot -- the wettest track -- was the north half (last half) of the measured mile/kilo.  Great -- right where the vehicles are going their fastest of the entire run.  Not where I'd want to run at most any speed and have the tires break loose in the standing water.

I did go down to the 0 - near the freeway.  I discovered they're taking advantage of every possible bit of the course -- 'cause the survey pin is about fifteen feet from the dirt dike.  I'll put the photos in here after I post this text.  Here's the photo-- and I guess the pin is about 20 feet from the dike:

While I was down there Mike Akatiff and Ken Puccio drove up, doing their noontime scouting expedition.  We commiserated for a while.  Nothing much to report from that little kaffe klatsch.  I did see that the tires of my truck had broken the crust a little bit -- and with that I could see that the salt is about 1/4 inch think there.  Yes, it's thin -- but a coupe of years ago it was all mud there.  Even at this year's SpeedWeek it wasn't looking as good as it did today.  I'll go out on a limb and say that something -- be it the salt gods or the pumping program -- something has made the salt's area a bit bigger.

Here's a batch of pictures taken (mostly) at the far end of the course, and as I was driving to there.  The photos tell the story by themselves.

And here's a pair of them showing how little salt has accumulated on the mudflaps, and - if you can look very closely and see what I was trying to show --= water droplets coming off the flap.

That, my friends, is all for now.  But don't worry -- I will return.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:16:01 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #395 on: October 10, 2013, 10:56:25 PM »
Here's what it looks like out on the salt at 7.30PM these days. 

This is pointing towards Wendover, really.  If you look carefully about the middle of the shot you can see the wet spots reflecting a bit of light -- and demonstrating the size of the puddle/wet spot.

Another shot using the headlights of the truck.  Not such a good photo, but I'm trying to let you know that the salt is just about as wet now as it was at noon today.

And finally, here's my regular shot of a milepost stake with the ribbon blowing out to the side.  At this point the wind was coming in from about the ESE.

And that's it.  No word at all from anyone today, so I don't know the latest on the official thought train.  Tomorrow I'll go hiking around the hangars and see what I can learn.  Oh, yes -- speaking of see who's there, this afternoon I met Bill Dube (Dew - bay).  He's the crew chief for the Eva Hakanson electric streamliner.  Yup - they're here, too, waiting for the track to get all better.

Good night, ladies and gentlemen.  See you tomorrow.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 2club

• New folks
« Reply #396 on: October 10, 2013, 11:00:22 PM »
Well everyone, you've seen Slim's salt report and it's not pretty. I talked to Mike mid afternoon and he was struggling to see if dragging was going to do any good. He hasn't called this evening and I suspect he has just plain worn himself out trying to make this happen for the racers and supporters. The man has fought the valiant fight and its been tough on him. Tomorrow may tell the tale, but at the moment there's nothing to report. Thanks to everyone for all the kind words of support and encouragement. He appreciates it. Lesser men would have folded long ago. So hat's off to Mike Cook, a racer's racer and non more dedicated to the sport. Thanks bud.

Offline killajoule

• New folks
« Reply #397 on: October 10, 2013, 11:46:06 PM »
Well everyone, you've seen Slim's salt report and it's not pretty. I talked to Mike mid afternoon and he was struggling to see if dragging was going to do any good. He hasn't called this evening and I suspect he has just plain worn himself out trying to make this happen for the racers and supporters. The man has fought the valiant fight and its been tough on him. Tomorrow may tell the tale, but at the moment there's nothing to report. Thanks to everyone for all the kind words of support and encouragement. He appreciates it. Lesser men would have folded long ago. So hat's off to Mike Cook, a racer's racer and non more dedicated to the sport. Thanks bud.

Mike Cook Sr. - you are a real trooper. People like you is what make Bonneville to a magic place for racing. It is the last outpost of world class unlimited racing, and it could not be done without people like you. We are really honored to be invited with our electric streamliner. All our hats are off to you.

// Eva HÃ¥kansson & Bill Dube'
Gasoline?! That is _so_ last century!
KillaJoule - FIM/AMA/LTA record holder, the world's fastest electric motorcycle and the world's fastest sidecar motorcycle. Official record 240.726 mph (AMA, Aug 2014, pending ratification), recorded top speed so far 270.224 mph, but we are just getting started!

www.killacycleracing.com
www.facebook.com/killacycle
www.youtube.com/killacycle

Offline tauruck

« Reply #398 on: October 11, 2013, 01:41:28 AM »
Hell Yeah, Mike fought the hard fight and it went on for a long time. You can't ask for more than that. I haven't ever seen a meeting that was postponed for this long and yet the guys stayed with it hoping for the weather to break. Well done Mike Cook and all involved. You are true hot rodders.  :cheers:Mikey

Offline AHG

« Reply #399 on: October 11, 2013, 01:45:02 AM »
Not Race, or Racecourse related, but still Shootout related.

Thinking the people sticking with it might need a little cheering;
Wayno and I provided a nice Boogie session for every at Carmen's this evening.

Still keeping our fingers crossed!
~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~
Faith, Family, Friends, & Fast Motorcycles

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #400 on: October 11, 2013, 02:10:31 AM »

Mike Cook Sr. - you are a real trooper. People like you is what make Bonneville to a magic place for racing. It is the last outpost of world class unlimited racing, and it could not be done without people like you. We are really honored to be invited with our electric streamliner. All our hats are off to you.

// Eva HÃ¥kansson & Bill Dube'

+1 (well, a lot more than that.)  

Thanks for bustin yer butt to make it work, Mike.  I hope ya get some bike racing in, anyway.  If not, it sure wasn't for your lack of trying.

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #401 on: October 11, 2013, 10:09:13 AM »
I have known Mike for many years now, I've purchased top notch products from him, raced with him, been there through the tough times like many of us out there. He has always encouraged me regarding my daughter who has heart problems and most of all a proven leader and gentleman when it comes to Bonneville and El Mirage. It is an honor to know him as a friend and it does not surprise me that he worked so hard for the racers, it's much more than money with Mike and his family. He always puts in the extra effort, even when he doesn't need to.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #402 on: October 11, 2013, 10:16:34 AM »
Howdy, folks.  It's about a quarter after eight Friday morning here in Wendover.  It's cool - about 45F -- but sunny.  The forecast for today is sunny and mid- to upper- 50s.  And the forecast for Saturday and Sunday is - 20%, 30%, 40% chance of showers.  I read the weather as "the course should get better today, but maybe not so much improvement tomorrow".

So I'll skedaddle out for a morning visit and see if there's any noticeable change in the past 12 hours, and maybe I'll run across some of the folks that know more about the salt and the weather and this event than do I.  I'll let you know what I discover.  I might discover a plate of pancakes at the Salt Flats cafe, so if I'm not back here real soon -- well, the pancakes there are pretty good.  C U Soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rlague

« Reply #403 on: October 11, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »
Enjoy your pancakes!  I wish I was there at the cafe with you......I would buy your breakfast of course!!!  If I don't make it this year the breakfast offer will still be good in 2014.

thanks for all the updates.  We all appreciate your efforts.  Stay warm and dry and keep us updated.
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #404 on: October 11, 2013, 12:48:18 PM »
Hmm -- my iPhone/hotspot thingie didn't work from out on the salt -- but the other day it did.  So therefore, I say unto you, you've waited 'til now to hear the latest.

There's a bit less water this morning than there was yesterday.  It's still wet around the 6 1/2 to the 7 1/2, but maybe not quite so much wet.  I took a couple of photos -- on purpose shooting into the sun so you can see the sunshine reflecting from the puddles.  Before you think that the course is this bad -- I'll remind you that this is on the return road where there's been lots of traffic and there are lots of tire tracks.  The course is pretty much untouched and smooth, but I reason that if there's this much water near the surface and only 50 feet from the course - - then the course per se isn't ready for racing.

Mike Cook gathered a bunch of us for a "briefing" out there, and he told us stuff like:  They've considered moving the course a bit - angling it a tad more to the east, so the it just barely missed the dike (by a thousand feet or so) on the way out to the end.  He'd have the surveyors come back out and measure that course.  But that way he could still only find about 10 miles, and he says we need the 11 miles for sure.  And then, coming that close to the dike wouldn't be a good thing for safety.  He was asked how long it'll take to set up once it has been decided to run, and his response was that he thinks it could be all done within about four hours.  That'd be putting up the markers and flags, installing the lights and running the wires, and all of the other stuff that has to be done.

After a few questions and a few hmm's and hah's it stands that at 5 this afternoon he'll make another visit and see if it's time to either say "Let's do it!" or say "Pack up your trailers and head home".  I'll keep you folks up to date as best I can.  By the way -- it's about 40F out there right now, but at least it's sunny.  No breeze to speak of.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com