Author Topic: Shootout 2013  (Read 258705 times)

Offline nrhs sales

Re: Shootout 2013
« Reply #360 on: October 08, 2013, 03:26:14 PM »
what a terrible year for weather.  First Bubs get called short due to rain, then WOS and finals are cancelled and now at best the Shootout will be bikes only.   I hope all the racers that had their plans cancelled this year are able to run next year!!

Offline Howard

« Reply #361 on: October 08, 2013, 08:26:52 PM »
Thanks to the Cook's and everyone else who put so much effort into trying to make this happen. Sometimes Mother
Nature just wins but it was not due to lack of effort.
Howard :cheers:
Howard

Offline 2club

• New folks
« Reply #362 on: October 08, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »
Attention Racers!!!!

Tuesday 5:30 PM
Pack your bags and fill the gas tank!

Cook just called from the salt after an extensive inspection of the course with Mike Akatiff and Denis Manning. They are all happy with the condition of the track, stating that there are 8-1/2 miles currently perfect and with southeasterly winds pushing the remaining moisture up against the mountains they expect 11 miles by Thursday. Sun is out and wind is still doing its job. Unless the great flood happens tonight there will be racing on Thursday. See the web site for comments by Akatiff and Manning.

Participants will include the streamliners of Akatiff, Manning, Sam Wheeler and the KillaJoule team, plus Al Lamb and Jamie Williams plus a few others that are trying to make it. Mike says they will announce a time for the riders meeting later on Wednesday because they don't know for sure when everyone is arriving. Cook has spent two days and four tanks of fuel figuring out a course and the best shot is straight down the middle. Final prep takes place tomorrow. Apologies to Slim and Ray. Mike's been meaning to call , but when the others got there they went straight to the salt and he called me after their inspection. They're still out there right now. Next update tomorrow unless Mike calls again later tonight.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #363 on: October 08, 2013, 08:50:56 PM »
FIM/AMA only or is the salt too unstable for cars?

Offline 2club

• New folks
« Reply #364 on: October 08, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »
Ray,
Yes FIM only. No cars will run.

Offline sabat

« Reply #365 on: October 08, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »
Great news!!!  Thanks for the update. -Dean

Offline maj

« Reply #366 on: October 08, 2013, 11:20:20 PM »
Yes thanks for the update

Wishing fine weather and fast runs for all

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #367 on: October 09, 2013, 05:56:49 AM »
I can picture the smile on Denis' face.  BUB 7 has a tilt at the outright record  :-) and poor Mike C has to take the plaudits for running a meeting along the lines of the bike only BUB  :-D

Good luck to all those taking part - but leave the big number on the table so the Brits can be there in 2014 (adding three contenders to the list of very fast motorcycles).

Malcolm. Derby, England
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline rlague

« Reply #368 on: October 09, 2013, 11:09:09 AM »
I can picture the smile on Denis' face.  BUB 7 has a tilt at the outright record  :-) and poor Mike C has to take the plaudits for running a meeting along the lines of the bike only BUB  :-D

Good luck to all those taking part - but leave the big number on the table so the Brits can be there in 2014 (adding three contenders to the list of very fast motorcycles).

Malcolm. Derby, England

Tell more about the 3 British contenders.
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #369 on: October 09, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »
Being one of the poor folk, I'm not sure how the finances for the Shootout work.

In 2010 it was $5,000 to run. I also remember hearing it was a prorated cost depending on the number of participants. I think $40,000 total cost to run the event.

In any case, with the cancellation of the cars, Mike Cook has spent a huge amount of time and effort and money to schedule, and re-schedule the event and certainly isn't going to make any money.

It's the uncertain life of any race promoter when the weather has a great deal to do with your success.

I hope this doesn't jeopardize future events.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline sabat

« Reply #370 on: October 09, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »
Sponsorship helps. Next time I need a battery, I'll look for a Varta.

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #371 on: October 09, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »
 :? :?  :?     Has any of the VERY fast UK streamliners ever made a run ?

Offline 2club

• New folks
« Reply #372 on: October 09, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
Okay here's the latest direct from Cook at 10 AM. The track is completely dry now and they have commenced re-dragging the entire course. A meeting was held with all the racers in attendance and it was agreed to take a little more time prepping the track now that it's dry. Some of the timing people will not be arriving until Thursday afternoon. As a group they have all agreed to use Thursday as a prep day and commence running Friday morning. The weather is not currently an issue, but it was important to agree on expenses and ensure that all the proper timing people are on hand. This is a minor delay to ensure that everything is perfectly in order. Some participants are not arriving until late today and also need Thursday time to get setup. So Friday morning is race day. Someone asked about any of the UK streamliners. I'm not aware that any are in attendance at this time. will speak with Mike again about 5:00 PM and post any changes.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #373 on: October 09, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »

Tell more about the 3 British contenders.

All three team leaders were in Wendover last month to meet Mike Cook and their US competitors.

Richard Brown - Jet Reaction - rider has been out on to UK airfields, but the British weather has been as poor as that in the USA. So speed progress with the new bike has been slow. Richard has anticipated breaking his own UK record (214 mph) before travelling overseas. This man is the fastest person in the UK on two wheels having ridden the GM3C rocket bike to an average 333mph (one way) and a peak speed of 365 mph in 1999 on Bonneville. I await the usual flaming for this not being a motorbike!

James Toseland - The 52 Express - rider has a trainer bike to learn the skills of controlling a streamliner in a recumbent position.  He was of course a Superbike and Moto GPrider.  Alex McFadzean and the team are assembling this gas turbine powered machine.  Project Manager Robin has given information here and the team need to raise funds for a trip to either South Africa or to the shootout. There is a closeness with the management of Bloodhound SSC, because Robin was on the Thrust SSC team and introduced Richard Noble to the internet; raised sponsorship and set up and ran the Mach1 supporters club for that project (second largest cash sponsor in the late 90's).  

Gabriel Uttley - Angelic Bulldog - 2013 has not been an easy year to get this U8 engined bike completed, but when I last met Gabriel he was smiling and is looking forward to 2014.  Gabriel has ridden the South African built trainer bike - Motivator - on Verneuk Pan, so knows desert and recumbent riding, but has used conventional bikes when racing on Bonneville. His team need to raise the travel costs once the bike is running.

As Jon knows, these projects and many more are followed by the Speed Record Club - www.speedrecordclub.com and this time I am not working with any of the these three.

Malcolm Derby, England    
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline rlague

« Reply #374 on: October 09, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »
Very interesting.

Are any of the vehicles FIM legal?  It does not sound like they are motorcycle engine powered.
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv