Author Topic: Shootout 2013  (Read 259533 times)

Offline Alan9999

• New folks
  • CLT
Re: Shootout 2013
« Reply #345 on: October 07, 2013, 07:37:43 PM »
Quote from Mike just now:  "Does nobody do any work?  Is everyone reading that internet thing?"

I guess I'm busted.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #346 on: October 07, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »
See the latest on facebook and the shoot out web site
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Howard

« Reply #347 on: October 07, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »
 :-( I hate to do this but since Charles won't be running my old car I guess I am not coming. Let's face it, that was my main motivation for being there. Even tho a lot of changes have been made I still can't help calling it my old car.
I have more than enough important stuff to do at home with 40 acres to look after so I guess I will look forward to seeing you all next year. Be safe and see you later.
Howard

Offline 2club

• New folks
« Reply #348 on: October 07, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »
Hi everyone, John Baechtel here. I'm a racer and 2-club member helping Mike Cook with the Shootout.

I manage the Shootout web site and and I'm also a co-administrator along with Cook Jr. on the facebook page. That's me whose been making all those posts and updates you see. I am in direct contact with Mike almost all the time so what you see on facebook or the web site is based on Mikes current thinking at any given time. We are trying to post accurate information as often as possible or as soon as we know it. As noted by Ray and Slim, the FIA portion of the shootout is fully canceled. The 7-9 mile is still too damp for heavier high horsepower cars. We may still be able to run the motorcycles and that will be determined on Wednesday when Mike examines the course with Mike Akatiff, Denis Manning and some of the others. If you have questions between now and then you can send them to me at jbedit1@aol.com. I check it frequently and will try to get you an answer as quickly as possible. My function is to try to take some of the load off of Mike so he can maintain focus on the Shootout and course prep. I'd be happy to help anyone here to the best of my ability.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #349 on: October 07, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »

So -- now it's about 4.20 Wendover  time - 6.20 here in west central Minnesota.  Mike just called.  The car people have decided that they will not take a chance on the course becoming good enough to race.  As of 4PM Mountain time, the F I A  meet is cancelled for this year.  Cancelled. No more waiting 'til further word, or until Wednesday.  No F I A meet in 2013.

No to FIA, so far YES to FIM.  Stay tuned.

Good to hear. Safety first.

Right on, Mark.  If it can't be done safely, there's no sense in putting peoples' lives and limbs in danger.

Joe, I emailed Marlo, who called me and asked a couple of questions, at which time some form of electromagnetic Armageddon took place and my computers and phone (cell) went completely apesh*t.   As I was rebooting everything, he called and left voicemail telling me that he was gonna call Cook.  I haven't heard back from him, but I've been on the phone a lot (yeah, I got call waiting) and I figger that like other 4-wheeled FIA teams, he's gonna stay at home.  He might show up at the November El Mirage meet, but that would be to support another car/team. 

I haven't decided if I'm gonna go to do the photo thing or even go to ElMo for that meet.  Right now, I'm tryin to decompress after all the mental/emotional ups and downs.  I know that I'm only 120 miles from the salt, but it's still been a roller coaster...I can only begin to imagine what it's been like for others.  As you said, my good thoughts and positive vibrations +++++~~~~~ to Mike Cook(s) for all the effort they've put into it and workin so hard to make the meet happen in the face of some nasty Ma Nature-type adversity...and having the integrity to call it off when safety could be at stake.   :cheers:

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #350 on: October 07, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »
If the meet does go on is sam wheeler still going to be there.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Freud

« Reply #351 on: October 07, 2013, 09:35:28 PM »
If we are going to have a baby what will it be?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline joea

« Reply #352 on: October 07, 2013, 09:39:18 PM »
...one with a Dodge feverish smile...intent to cause mayhem...funloving as heck...naked...
straddling something......

modified: when i say "feverish" i mean a smile that expresses a very devilish look but a very
angelic heart.......
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:43:31 PM by joea »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #353 on: October 07, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »
.... I still can't help calling it my old car....

You definitely have the right to call it that  :-).  I still have the build pictures I took from your build scrapbook,

Sum

Offline ack

« Reply #354 on: October 07, 2013, 09:47:46 PM »
I will be in Wendover tomorrow early to go over the course with Mike. Denis will be out later in the day. We will try to make a call by tomorrow evening if the bike event is canceled. So far it is a go I have AMA and FIM officials flying in Wendsday. Mike may run some cars that want to test and tune.

Offline killajoule

• New folks
« Reply #355 on: October 07, 2013, 09:48:15 PM »
If the meet does go on is sam wheeler still going to be there.

The KillaJoule electric sidecar streamliner team will also be there. The trailer is (still) packed and we are ready to leave Colorado Wednesday morning.

With "only" 300 HP, 1600 lbs, three wheels and a target speed of "only" 225 mph we have higher tolerance for track conditions many (most?) of the other streamliners. As long as it doesn't rain and there is no standing water, we can run. :-)

// Eva Hakansson & Bill Dube'  
Gasoline?! That is _so_ last century!
KillaJoule - FIM/AMA/LTA record holder, the world's fastest electric motorcycle and the world's fastest sidecar motorcycle. Official record 240.726 mph (AMA, Aug 2014, pending ratification), recorded top speed so far 270.224 mph, but we are just getting started!

www.killacycleracing.com
www.facebook.com/killacycle
www.youtube.com/killacycle

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #356 on: October 07, 2013, 10:34:51 PM »
Hi everyone, John Baechtel here. I'm a racer and 2-club member helping Mike Cook with the Shootout.

I manage the Shootout web site and and I'm also a co-administrator along with Cook Jr. on the facebook page. That's me whose been making all those posts and updates you see. I am in direct contact with Mike almost all the time so what you see on facebook or the web site is based on Mikes current thinking at any given time. We are trying to post accurate information as often as possible or as soon as we know it. As noted by Ray and Slim, the FIA portion of the shootout is fully canceled. The 7-9 mile is still too damp for heavier high horsepower cars. We may still be able to run the motorcycles and that will be determined on Wednesday when Mike examines the course with Mike Akatiff, Denis Manning and some of the others. If you have questions between now and then you can send them to me at jbedit1@aol.com. I check it frequently and will try to get you an answer as quickly as possible. My function is to try to take some of the load off of Mike so he can maintain focus on the Shootout and course prep. I'd be happy to help anyone here to the best of my ability.

Thanks John B.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #357 on: October 08, 2013, 12:55:28 PM »
Eva,
You are such a stud!!!  We are so lucky to have you in the LSR motorcycle ranks.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #358 on: October 08, 2013, 01:50:01 PM »
I will be in Wendover tomorrow early to go over the course with Mike. Denis will be out later in the day. We will try to make a call by tomorrow evening if the bike event is canceled. So far it is a go I have AMA and FIM officials flying in Wendsday. Mike may run some cars that want to test and tune.

Could you clarify the part about cars and test & tune?  I'd love to run my Camaro, but it's a street car and additionally I can't afford the FIA, etc. fees.

Offline 2club

• New folks
« Reply #359 on: October 08, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »
Update: Mid-day, Tuesday 10/8
Cook reports some water blew in from the edges overnight, but the sun is bright and the wind is blowing so the damp sections are still drying out. Mike Akatiff and Manning haven't arrived yet so Mike is cruising up and down checking for damp spots. He remains optimistic about making the final call tomorrow. It will be a mutual decision with input from the racers. Most of the racing surface is already good, but there is still concern about the damp section between the 7 and the 9 mile. We will try to update again late today after we see how well the sunshine and wind improve the course. It's not bad, just a bit soft in spots and we want to see that improve. Watch this space for updates later today. The latest information will also be on the facebook page and the web site at www.landspeedevents.com