Author Topic: Shootout 2013  (Read 259563 times)

Offline rlague

Re: Shootout 2013
« Reply #225 on: September 25, 2013, 04:03:38 PM »
Sam is still a Hot Rodder and the modern tools make the parts better and they are not that expensive any more......
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #226 on: September 25, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
I'm sure not knocking the way Sam does it. I was just playing off of what Freud said.  :cheers: Wayno

stwheeler

« Reply #227 on: September 25, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »

That is very neat stuff but it is kind of a sad note that racing is so hi-tech now, and moved away from the good old hot rodding like us racers did in the past and still do now too

G Don

Sam has done this for a long time and has just changed with the times and improved his method of getting things done. :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:25:38 PM by stwheeler »

Offline rlague

« Reply #228 on: September 25, 2013, 05:41:01 PM »
Carbon disk rear brake.  Caliper pads are also carbon.....very high end built by Lamb Components.  Roger Lamb and Sam built their first streamliner when they were 18.

Roger Lamb and Sam confer on carbon-carbon brake design in their after hours engineering conference room.

Swing arm center section after first machining.  Upper section will be shock mount for the horizontal rear shock.
IGNITION3  Productions
ISDE DVD series
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #229 on: September 25, 2013, 06:22:53 PM »
there is still plenty of opportunity to "hot rod" in the lower classes but when you are pursuing 400 + mph do you really want that? I know I would not want that. 

Offline superleggera

« Reply #230 on: September 25, 2013, 06:38:20 PM »
one old friend from the Los Angeles with 50+ years experience made it very clear to myself a few years ago in regard to Bonneville ala something like this: "Some of the stuff that is spooky and scares you in how it was built -- don't poo-hoo it until it runs down the salt and it might surprise you." (and he smiles!)  He then goes on: "Some of that medical grade machinist stuff that is to purty and makes machinists eyes sparkle with dollar signs -- it might go down the salt real slow.  Only real important thing is does the total assembly of parts work and is it fast on the salt... nothing else truly matters except for breaking of a speed record..."
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #231 on: September 25, 2013, 06:53:36 PM »
nothing else truly matters except for breaking of a speed record.

Sorry but I would have to add that safety is just as important as breaking records because if we have too many accidents and folks dying there will not be any racing at Bonneville.   There are just too many people looking for an excuse to shut down racing at Bonneville and if we have too many incidents the BLM will start to agree with them.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:56:09 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #232 on: September 25, 2013, 11:06:02 PM »
That is very neat stuff but it is kind of a sad note that racing is so hi-tech now, and moved away from the good old hot rodding like us racers did in the past and still do now too

G Don

Gotta agree with you.  I bought a seven axis milling machine that unfortunately bears more than  passing resemblance to an angle grinder.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #233 on: September 26, 2013, 01:26:56 AM »
... Sprocket was wire EDM machined...
Unnecessary; easily machined traditionally (unlike other pieces pictured here). Was it perhaps EDM'd due to lower cost?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #234 on: September 26, 2013, 02:29:20 AM »
A lot of the time hollowing a part out and making all sorts of lightening grooves and fancy recesses compromises the strength and concentrates stresses.  A big ugly looking plain part can often be the better designed piece.  Bike triple clamps are an example.  Folks hollow out the underside and this is exactly what they should not do.   

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #235 on: September 26, 2013, 02:37:29 AM »
Mr. Wheeler,

A dream becomes reality over time.

One Helleva job.

Looking forward to seeing the best of the best on a safe, fast, dry race track in a few days.

My bags are packed as the weather report looks dry for the Cook's Shoot Out.

Ray C Wheeler
Performance Editor
Bikernet.com
Ray C Wheeler

Offline entropy

« Reply #236 on: September 26, 2013, 05:40:32 AM »
rlague,
Thanks a million for posting all those pix.
viewing your posts is like visiting an Art Museum.

And wheeler & lamb conferring over Bud Lights?
No one is going to tell me those guys aren't hot rodders at heart  :cheers:

Carbon disk rear brake.  Caliper pads are also carbon.....very high end built by Lamb Components.  Roger Lamb and Sam built their first streamliner when they were 18.

Roger Lamb and Sam confer on carbon-carbon brake design in their after hours engineering conference room.

Swing arm center section after first machining.  Upper section will be shock mount for the horizontal rear shock.

Offline rlague

« Reply #237 on: September 26, 2013, 11:39:13 AM »
Unnecessary; easily machined traditionally (unlike other pieces pictured here). Was it perhaps EDM'd due to lower cost?
Sam used the supplier and process recommended by the belt manufacturer, GATES.  Gates warned that this part is very critical at the RPM it will be running.  By the way the jackshaft center is the same as the swing arm so the belt has no changes in tension with suspension travel.
IGNITION3  Productions
ISDE DVD series
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #238 on: September 26, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »
Sam used the supplier and process recommended by the belt manufacturer, GATES.  Gates warned that this part is very critical at the RPM it will be running.  By the way the jackshaft center is the same as the swing arm so the belt has no changes in tension with suspension travel.

This is very interesting. Is it that the surface finish is the more important feature?
I would have thought that small holes for air escape at the root of the groove would be important at high speeds also.
Thanks for posting all this info on Sam's machine.
Frank
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #239 on: September 27, 2013, 01:27:03 AM »
Hello everyone we have dates for oct 7-11 for the shootout I don't know if its been posted here or not so don't hang me if it has. We have had some cars and bikes fall out of the line up but we have add a few in there place also we our offering a few test spots to fill the void if interested call dad or email us stay tuned for an updated entry list
Mike cook jr