Author Topic: Shootout 2013  (Read 259582 times)

LittleLiner

Re: Shootout 2013
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2013, 01:22:46 PM »
. . . I'm going to pack up the truck and hit the road for home.  . . .
Jon,   If I recall correctly . . in the past you sometimes stopped in Denver when traveling to/from home.   If that is the plan, DON'T!  We have major flooding and many road closures in and around Denver.  . . safe travels, Art

Offline superleggera

« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
Someone should go buy a dozen pinewood derby cars and give it to the teams to perform their magic upon -- I'm sure that given the creativity and skillsets in the hanger that it would be an interesting design competition with various classes created along the way!

Hopefully the rain will relent and the course dries out upcoming -- and a good reminder for myself upcoming to maximize the time on the salt when the course is good.
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline joea

« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »
SSS was talking about actually checking in with the racers to show us whats going on behind the scenes...modify: I see that SSS may post some pics later as he has hit the road..................................

OSU testing...etc...

hoping he does....

i dare say that there may NEVER be this grouping of world class contenders stuck together
with near undivided attention..with no racing going on to distract them.....to SOMEONE interested in getting some great STORIES...info and
the like....

usually all teams are all hands on deck with tasks at hand....infinitely rare to have them somewhat available to share in the stories of journeys
to get where they are poised now....changes made...etc...

im sure some are eager to make mention of certain sponsors and the like who would love the exposure....as they are deserving and to add
to the build up.....

the salt will be ready someday....this year or beyond....after nearly a week....and 12 pages of posts...there is alot of missed opportunities....

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:29:34 PM by joea »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2013, 07:20:33 PM »
JoeA   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
Well said :-) :-) :-)

Ah.........the stories.............and the jargon............How about a report from the Black & White :lol:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2013, 09:22:53 PM »
Hope the media can put something together, maybe Bonneville racing news if they are there,like Joe Amo said a chance of a life time with all of that talent in one place :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2013, 11:50:33 PM »
I personally would stay away from those guys at this time. I can only talk for myself but I would be just a little cranky (OK a lot) after several days of not doing what I was suppost to be doing. It could be another week before the salt drys out, so that would be almost two weeks of doing nothing but costing money for rooms, meals etc.
 I would tread lightly around those guys. JMO.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline killajoule

• New folks
« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2013, 12:55:42 AM »
We are having a great time at the Wendover Airport (even if we all wished we were racing instead, of course).
There wasn't a dull moment for the KillaJoule team today - tech inspection, visit from one hundred elementary school kids, and barbeque by Al Lamb.  :-)
Read more here: http://killacycleracing.com/2013/09/13/still-waiting-for-the-weather/

// Eva & Bill with team
Gasoline?! That is _so_ last century!
KillaJoule - FIM/AMA/LTA record holder, the world's fastest electric motorcycle and the world's fastest sidecar motorcycle. Official record 240.726 mph (AMA, Aug 2014, pending ratification), recorded top speed so far 270.224 mph, but we are just getting started!

www.killacycleracing.com
www.facebook.com/killacycle
www.youtube.com/killacycle

Offline rlague

« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2013, 09:43:56 AM »
how about some photos of the airport action?
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
I'm headed east -- stopped for breakfast and fuel in Miles City, Montana.  I left Wendover yesterday before noon.  Here's the story -- and yes, I do have photos -- but still haven't got 'em into the laptop.  They aren't all that great or numerous -- because there weren't all that many race vehicles in the hangar.

I left town because I heard more than a few of the teams making plane reservations to fly back to home (wherever that might be for 'em) for a few days and then return.  The Bub bike was out, so was the Killajoule sidecar, and the sit on bikes of Al Lamb and Jamie Williams.  And that's that.  Well, no -0- the Drayson car was over in one corner and I did get some photos.  But other than that -- well, I guess OSU was in a different hangar, and I know they'll be staying for the duration, they said.  

But I can't do much good just hanging around Wendover and hoping to find something that's worthy of me missing time at home and at work.  I intend to stay near the phone and hear what Junior reports - and will turn around, if that's what it takes, or head back when he reports there is a real starting date.  When I left there yesterday things stood at the likelihood of figuring out by Sunday (tomorrow) night whether there was a good chance of starting the event early in the week.
And that's why I'm not out there gathering stories.  I'll head back when there's something to send along to you folks.  Right now I'll head out for the camera and load those photos, okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »
Here are shots from yesterday's meeting in the hangar - and some of the half-dozen vehicles that were in there.  First of all -- get your drool cups in place, folks.  I wonder -- how much do carbon/carbon brakes cost compared to, say, my Mastercard available balance?

From left:  Charlie Hennekam (FIM Charlie), Dave Petrali (USAC/FIA), Mike Cook

The Kiiajoule trike:

I don't know the bike well enough to recall.  Eva, I see you're posting here -- please tell us -- is it joystick controls?

Front wheel detail of the Bub bike:

Side shots:

Final one for now:  Why is there an airplane in there?  Oh, yeah -- it's a hangar. . .

No call from Junior this morning, and the NOAA weather radar out of SLC is down, so I don't know what's what.  The forecast looks like some small chance of rain -- but no strong winds or bright sun.  I'll hit the road out of here in a few minutes -- if there's great news -- give me a call.  Later --
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Howard

« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2013, 10:38:37 PM »
 :x Well I bailed out Friday morning and drove 14 hours straight home. I am not much of a sit around guy and would have been parked for a week in the motel room for the earliest guestimated start time. Sure hate to miss it if it happens but the rain won this year.
Best of luck to everyone in their quest for speed.
Howard Nafzger

Offline DND

« Reply #177 on: September 15, 2013, 01:48:54 AM »
Hi Slim

Is that car with the carbon stoppers a ' LeMans GTP ' coupe ?

What kind of engine ?

Thanks. Don

velocity

« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2013, 03:15:56 AM »
Spent three hours with Chris Carr and Rocky Robinson talking about their march towards 400MPH. The congenial, talented riders offered up insights on their record runs, riding styles, best and worse runs and future plans. We got so lost in LSR talk that we closed down the restaurant.

While I'll reserve most of the conversation for my article for the New York Times, they both agree they are only limited by the the harmonious balancing act of traction, aerodynamic drag and horsepower. Neither has any desire to "beat" the other, rather they view the record runs as a never-ending race, where there is no checkered flag, only different leaders for awhile.

These two gentlemen are both grand ambassadors of the sport of land speed racing and it is a privilege and honor to know them both. It is people like this that make land speed racing the most enviable in all of motorsport.

Paul Drayson's beautiful electric Lola is packed up -- the team has commitments elsewhere to honor. The team hopes to return to the salt or may have another venue where the electric car can flex its stuff. The whole crew is sad to leave Wendover without a record, but they are ready to roll with a new set of salt-specific wheels and tires. A few photos are included here.

Al Lamb is ready, as are Mary and Jim True have their new red,white and blue Truz Missile teched and tuned for speed -- all they need is dry salt.

Buckeye Bullet scampered down the runway today, no word on speed, I am guessing with was a system check of some description.

Can't tell you anything about Jamie Williams; he's too busy to talk.

After a ping-pong conversation I am thoroughly confused by the Killajoule program but sincerely hope they find their way forward.

Going to the international course with Mike Cook on Sunday, will post pix tomorrow night.

LandSpeed Louise

velocity

« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2013, 03:18:06 AM »
a couple more photos

LSL