Author Topic: Shootout 2013  (Read 259399 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Shootout 2013
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2013, 10:06:08 AM »
Slim, how do you  have access to the Hanger? When we toured the museum last month they said 9-11 had shut down access to everyone except airline traffic?

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2013, 10:20:45 AM »
I feel like Mother Nature has had enough racing this year and this is her way of saying the salt is closed boys. Man, I hope I'm wrong, really wrong!

Offline rlague

« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »
The Wendover camera looks pretty ugly this AM!  Looks a bit wet to say the least....

thanks for the early morning posting Jon......appreciate your work....hope you got those pancakes by now!
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »
I just looked outside my motel room.  It ain't pretty...and it's raining, too.

Wunderground.com sez it's clear and sunny.  "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:29:58 AM by RayTheRat »

Offline rlague

« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
Only the 'burban is pretty in that photo.  That place makes the Nugget look good!
IGNITION3  Productions
ISDE DVD series
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
RtR

I know that hotel.

Hope it is not raining on the salt.

BR

I just looked outside my motel room.  It ain't pretty...and it's raining, too.

Wunderground.com sez it's clear and sunny.  "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2013, 11:26:07 AM »
The Enola Gay hangar is full of race vehicles for the event, so I guess there's no issue with access for now, at least.  I've been invited by a couple of teams - will let you know if a full-body and cavity search is required to get in the hangar.

It's still only my guess - please note that caveat - but I expect that the 10AM meeting will result in the decision to officially put hings on hold and everybody might as well go home for a week or so.  I know one of the bigger teams is making airline reservations as I type.  If the event is put off -- will it be rescheduled for a week from now, hoping the salt will dry out?  I dunno - will the salt be ready in only a week?  Or will a decision be made to try again for the FIM/FIA meet during the week around the 24th or so -- and then it'd be ending when World Finals is starting?  Or will Mike Cook elect to put it off 'til his "rain date" -- of (I think) 10 - 14 October? 

I'll be heading out to the hangar in a few minutes.  I'm going to tell the motel desk that I'll take a late checkout and will most likely head the heck for home in the truck and with the trailer.  If and when the event gets rescheduled I'll get back out here one way or another if I can.  Somehow I get the impression your folks out there in internetland are interested in having me here.  I'll see if I can do that for you.

Check in here again around 11AM Wendover time, hokey-dokey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2013, 11:31:55 AM »
Thank SSS for all you are doing. And that goes for Ray as well. I would imagine that it kinda sucks just to hang around to see nothing is getting accomplished.
 Just like the army,,,"hurry up and wait".

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »
The Enola Gay hangar is full of race vehicles for the event, so I guess there's no issue with access for now, at least.  I've been invited by a couple of teams - will let you know if a full-body and cavity search is required to get in the hangar.

It's still only my guess - please note that caveat - but I expect that the 10AM meeting will result in the decision to officially put hings on hold and everybody might as well go home for a week or so.  I know one of the bigger teams is making airline reservations as I type.  If the event is put off -- will it be rescheduled for a week from now, hoping the salt will dry out?  I dunno - will the salt be ready in only a week?  Or will a decision be made to try again for the FIM/FIA meet during the week around the 24th or so -- and then it'd be ending when World Finals is starting?  Or will Mike Cook elect to put it off 'til his "rain date" -- of (I think) 10 - 14 October? 

I'll be heading out to the hangar in a few minutes.  I'm going to tell the motel desk that I'll take a late checkout and will most likely head the heck for home in the truck and with the trailer.  If and when the event gets rescheduled I'll get back out here one way or another if I can.  Somehow I get the impression your folks out there in internetland are interested in having me here.  I'll see if I can do that for you.

Check in here again around 11AM Wendover time, hokey-dokey?

I think it was four years ago, maybe five, I had clutch problems with the liner and decided to leave it in Wendover, take the clutch home and fix it, then go back to Bonneville to attend the WOS.  I knew the hanger was used as a shop to repair the Dave Campos liner way back when.  Thought I could do the same thing, leave Black Lightning in the hanger.  Turned out to be not so.  The guard at the airport told me that the hanger was condemned due to asbestos.  So there you are.  (Maybe it's who you are that has something to do with it. )

SSS thanks for all of the superb coverage.  If you and the Rat see Stainless, he has something for both of you from the BL team. 

If the rain date is postponed to October 10, I think I can get the Vincent streamliner ready to run.  At least I'll give it a sterling effort.

Max

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
During the BUB event the Triumph liner was at the airport for repairs so it seems it can be done fairly easily. Thanks Slim and Ray for keeping us up to date, you guys are the best and your efforts are really appreciated. :cheers:

Offline rlague

« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
SSS keep us posted on the results of the meeting this AM.......I know you will.  I spoke to Charlie H the FIM official a bit ago and he had to run to the meeting this AM.

If there is a rain date, is it 10 to 14 October for sure?  Well maybe you will know more after the meeting.
IGNITION3  Productions
ISDE DVD series
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2013, 12:52:17 PM »
Here's the story, folks:

The consensus opinion is to delay the event start date 'til NEXT TUESDAY, THE 18TH OF SEPTEMBER.  By this Sunday we figure we'll know if things are going to be good enough to race.  A few racers said they're staying for sure, a few questioned whether even perfect weather from now 'til Tuesday will be enough to make the now-sodden course good enough for 400-mph vehicles.

John Hanson from the Rainbow/Peppermill/.Montego was at the meeting and he's offered to work with racers and teams to modify reservations as best as possible.  FIM Charlie and Drew Gatewood (AMA) are teching bikes TODAY to make sure that if the word is "GO" that everyone can run right away.

Mike Cook reports BLM has been really good -- allowing rescheduling of dates and permits without the usual 30-day in writing permit process.  Insurance, fire and ambulance, and most of all -- sponsors -- are in favor of letting the racers and the Cook team work to have a Top Speed Shootout 2013.  Denis Manning (and Delvene) are working on the event and the bike and are in favor of sticking it out 'til the rain stops and the track is dry.  And so is George Poteet.  And so is Mike Akatiff.  Shall I go on?

I'm going to pack up the truck and hit the road for home.  I'll leave the race trailer out here -- John Hanson is letting me store it at his facility again - and will make good time on the return trip.  And if I leave the trailer out here -- hey, I've gotta come back to get it, right?  I might as well go home and get a hug or two from Nancy and see how she's doing in painting the shutters and the deck, and without the trailer -- I'll make better time, right?  I do intend to continue giving you folks updates as I travel.  Junior will continue keeping me updated with his reports, and I intend to set it up so there's a direct link on the lr.com homepage to the Shootout Forum thread -- so not only you regulars can get there, but so can Mr. and Mrs. Six Pack when they hear what's going on and want more information.

That is it for now.  Pack up, start the truck and drop the trailer, and I-80, here I come.  I won't have the 'puter on as I drive, so as per usual - if you've got questions, either post 'em and I'll see them when I break for lunch -- or call me if you've gotta know right now.  906 Three Six One 6282.

TTFN

Jon a/k/a SSS

PS  I did get a bunch of photos in the hangar.  I'll post 'em later on.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »
Tuesday the 18th . . . through Saturday the 21st? ????????????????????????????????????
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »
We probably need a little clarification. Tuesday is the 17th.  :? :? :-D

Pete

Offline Alan9999

• New folks
  • CLT
« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2013, 01:10:48 PM »
That should be WEDNESDAY the 18th, at the earliest.

-AR