Author Topic: Shootout 2013  (Read 259566 times)

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
Re: Shootout 2013
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2013, 08:58:55 PM »
Good grief !! sure would like to know what's going on with racing !

gkabbt

« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »
-- for me to drop trou and allow the world to see ALL of my tattoos. . . :evil:

Slim, if you need coaching I'll look around the site for the 7 moons picture. 

Stainless, please have mercy on us.....Once is enough!  :roll:  :-o  :-D

Gregg

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »
Good grief !! sure would like to know what's going on with racing !

Me to Larry. But it looks like we will have to wait till Sunday. I am sure Slim will keep us updated along the way. As long as it is not a full moon. :-o

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2013, 10:35:25 PM »
Oh, crap  -- what'd I start now?  I should know better than to joke around.  So - here's tonight's ending update.

Junior left Land's End about one minute before I got there -- so I didn't ride with.  But he did find detailed information showing that indeed, there's less water this evening than there was at noontime.  Then the course was not too wet - wet spots, maybe a few puddles - a mile or so either side of mid-course.  Say, that is, from about the four and a half to the six and a half.  By late afternoon the wind had moved water around so that the not-too-bad stretch was more like three or four miles long.

While he was out on the course in the early afternoon a big ol' storm blew in, bringing light rain for almost one minute.  But it was windy -- like 40-50 mph, he said, blowing the standing water hard enough that it was up and over his/their shoes.  The rain didn't amount to much, obviously, but the wind moved lots of water.  Lots of it blew through the breech in the dike and onto the course, yes, but that water kept moving with the wind -- blowing it from the race course towards Land's End.  And that's good.  There is obviously less water on the course now than there was earlier today.  I took a couple of photos and haven't even loaded them into this machine yet - will post this and then show you the photos in another minute or two.

Maybe in the morning I'll manage to roll out of this luxury lodging facility in time to go with Junior on his first recon mission of the day.  I'll try to do it - and bring the first set of photos from out there.  But first -- I'll get tonight's photos on here.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2013, 10:37:50 PM »
Thank You, SSS.

der FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2013, 10:49:02 PM »
Ah, well, the photos ain't great, that's for sure.  But you'll get an idea.  I took them hand-held using the lens zoomed out to try to let you see Mikey's truck driving through the water.  Well, hand held and long lens and Jon the amateur photoshooter -- well, not great, but you'll see some details.  I won't try to offer comments - you can see some of the mud sticking up through the water, and you can see other details.  Not great -- but less water and more dirt than earlier, and that's the important thing for now.

There you have 'em.  Water, water, almost everywhere - but wait 'til tomorrow, hey?  C U Later.  I'm hitting the hay - but not 'til I tell you that tomorrow I'll explore around the air base and get some shots of the cars and bikes that are there.  I saw some of the crew from the Nearburg car today, and a few form the Ack bike, and I know the Bub bike is at the airport and so it the OSU crew and car and the Drayson Lola (or it is a Lotus?  I know it's an "L" word. . .) - and so on.  I've seen the Speed Demon transporter trailer - but not the car.  You'll all get to see them tomorrow.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2013, 10:52:56 PM »
Thanks Slim. Have a good evening. Mark.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2013, 12:33:24 AM »
That Poteet and Main bunch can make ANYTHING go fast.

No joke, honest Wham-O product packaging. Take note of the speed.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline salt27

« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2013, 12:38:59 AM »
That Poteet and Main bunch can make ANYTHING go fast.

No joke, honest Wham-O product packaging. Take note of the speed.

Kinda slow for that crew.  :-D

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2013, 05:38:49 AM »
I just got home from Bonneville, had to abandon the quest due to personal reasons, including a need to get home and check on if any of the flooding impacts here in the Boulder Area involved my home or work. Lots of rain from Rawlins Wyo into Colorado, no need to worry about washing the salt off this time.

Good luck to all those who can stick it out until the course dries. I would have loved to stay, but had to make a judgment call about my best guess if the course would be dry enough to run on before my vacation time ran out.

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2013, 08:29:23 AM »
I made it to Wendover last night.  Took the scenic route via SLC to hit the Red Iguana.  What little I could see from I-80 looked very wet.   Spoke briefly with Mr. TheRat after I arrived at the Ritz.  I'll check things out this morning, and may head back to Boise.  If Jon is correct about running on Monday, I'll head back then.  Blow wind, blow!
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2013, 08:47:53 AM »
Well, it isn't the wind that's blowing here at Land's End right now -- it's the rain.  I left the motel about 6.20 and it was cloudy.  As I was on the freeway merge ramp I saw the first raindrops on the window.  At the truck scale it was raining hard.  Just beyond the scale I started a bit of hydroplaning.  Does that tell you something?

I drove carefully off the highway and past the truck stop with the wipers on full and carefuly went around the corner at the Bend.  The rain was light, the rain was heavy, and here at Land's End -- well, it's pitter-pattering on the roof as I type.  Mike Junior and Tommy report they did some hydroplaning on the freeway, too.

As look towards the freeway I can see headlights, so it isn't pouring too hard -- but it sure as heck isn't bright and sunny.  We won't be taking that 7AM tour of the salt yet -- wait for light/wait for the rain to end.

But it don' look too good for right now, folks.  Further deponent sayeth not 'til later.  I'll keep posting as the rain situation develops.

CRAP!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2013, 08:53:30 AM »
Huge down pour in Wendover at 0653MDT.
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2013, 09:39:33 AM »
It's about 7.30 here at Land's End -- and the rain is continuing unabated.  So -

At 10AM -- 2 1/2 hours from now -- we'll be at a meeting at the Enola Gay hangar.  The racers and all of us will get together and see what's what.  My guess is that the racers will say they're willing to wait and NOT GO HOME.  They might say let's fly our people back to the world and come back in a couple of days.  They might, yes, say "screw it" and turn tail and go home for the duration.  But I doubt it.  They might say "Let's wait for the afternoon and see what's going on."  But we won't know what they're saying for another few hours.

So sit back, folks, and relax.  There's nothing much to report here.  Heck, it's even too early for the cafe at the truck stop to be open for breakfast, so I'll hang around, read another chapter in "The Alamosa Trail" by Ralph Compton, and later go have some pancakes.  I'll stay in touch.  If you have specific questions -- go ahead and post 'em or send a PM and I'll get back with you.  I'm shutting the 'puter off each time - don't want to use the precious gigabytes that I've gotta pay for this time - so it might be a while to get your answers back to you.  But I'll try.

Rain, rain, go away. :-( :-(
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2013, 10:04:11 AM »
I just got home from Bonneville, had to abandon the quest due to personal reasons, including a need to get home and check on if any of the flooding impacts here in the Boulder Area involved my home or work. Lots of rain from Rawlins Wyo into Colorado, no need to worry about washing the salt off this time.

Good luck to all those who can stick it out until the course dries. I would have loved to stay, but had to make a judgment call about my best guess if the course would be dry enough to run on before my vacation time ran out.

Larry, I hope things are ok at home. I was just looking at pictures and it looks bad! I have been through a flood up here. Not fun!