Author Topic: WoS cancelled  (Read 20361 times)

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Re: WoS cancelled
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 09:27:18 PM »
Hey save me an event T-shirt (or four) okay?  I was REALLY hoping to do a major wardrobe adjustment at WOS (different color hat... first time my car on an event poster/T-shirt, etc.), but.......
Oh well let's hope there is still a Shoe Tout.  The pics on the USFRA home page don't look too encouraging though.  But I got fingers, toes and eyes crossed... hoping.

Freud, would it be too much to ask for you to head on out to the salt and wander up and down the course for a few days talking to yourself?  Might help speed the drying process along some ya' know.  I'll even promise to buy your beer if you promise to return it only to the Porta Potties.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:37:12 PM by fastesthonda_jim »
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 11:00:50 PM »
Bloody English weather!!
Salty Box Racing #622 B/DT

Offline Freud

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 11:15:35 PM »
honda_jim......I probably walk too slow.

I'd be there if I had any influence.

This time Target 550 is hurting also.

We need to get that piece out on her own.

The loss of events is critical to us.

So long in the headlines and now it sits and waits like everyone else.

It's tough to keep ones chin up.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 12:10:41 AM »
I was in Colorado when I get the call. Had to drop off a machine and then the plan was to head to Wendover. Cut out that part of my trip and headed to So. Cal. to drop off a car. Then back home to TN.

I was looking forward to being on the Salt, but I'll have to wait until next year now.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 01:16:53 AM »
Freud, do you think it can be at world finals? 

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 01:33:48 AM »
Bloody English weather!!

Actually, if we were in Great Britain this week, we'd be more concerned about the tides -

http://www.vhra.co.uk/VHRA/Pendine_Sands.html

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »
Arrived back home yesterday afternoon. It was a bitter disappointment for us to make the call to cancel the
race.  Sunday the 1st the salt was drying well and I had planned on starting to drag early Monday morning.
The plan was to drag new lanes adjacent to track 1 but on the pit side. The salt there was void of the ruts
that were in the current track.  A storm came through Sunday night and flooded the lake bed. By Tuesday it was drying nicely but then another storm hit midday. Then to top things off another one came through Tuesday night about 9:30 pm.  It was just too much water and we did not feel we would have sufficent time
to provide a safe and fast track.
We will be looking at the expenses already incurred and let those pre entered know how much we can  refund or the option of rolling over the amount toward next years entry.
Monte.

Offline Freud

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »
I'll have to attend the board meeting before I can comment on World Finals.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Wester

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 04:32:16 PM »
Spectators won't appreciate the decision to cancel but anyone who wants to drive on a safe track will be pleased.  The final decision on a go-no go is the quality of the course.  The decision to cancel is like telling racers there won't be a Christmas this year.  It takes serious evaluation and I commend Jim and Monte for the guts to call it off.  This is a slap in the face because Utah has had the hottest summer on record and one of the driest so a rain out was one of the last things we thought would happen.  Now we get to worry about snowpack and water next summer.

Offline Freud

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
Wes the integrity of USFRA does not waver.

Racers should respect your decisions because their safety is the basis of your decisions.

No one wants to cancel the event.  Weather has dealt USFRA costly situations more than once

and you always come back swinging.

Thanks for being there.

After missing Speed Week the Target 550 team was ready to do our initial runs at your meet.

No hesitation.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Tman

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 05:01:10 PM »
Arrived back home yesterday afternoon. It was a bitter disappointment for us to make the call to cancel the
race.  Sunday the 1st the salt was drying well and I had planned on starting to drag early Monday morning.
The plan was to drag new lanes adjacent to track 1 but on the pit side. The salt there was void of the ruts
that were in the current track.  A storm came through Sunday night and flooded the lake bed. By Tuesday it was drying nicely but then another storm hit midday. Then to top things off another one came through Tuesday night about 9:30 pm.  It was just too much water and we did not feel we would have sufficent time
to provide a safe and fast track.
We will be looking at the expenses already incurred and let those pre entered know how much we can  refund or the option of rolling over the amount toward next years entry.
Monte.

We all know it was a tough choice. I respect you for your thoughts on safety AND quality of racing.

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »
Wow, that sucks. Obviously the right call...I just feel bad for the folks who've been waiting and preparing and driving...  :-(
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668