Author Topic: Gusset Length as per 3.B.1  (Read 11752 times)

Offline interested bystander

Re: Gusset Length as per 3.B.1
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 09:11:27 PM »
What's this GRINDING of welds crap?
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline unobtainium

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 03:14:46 AM »
Think of what a plate gusset looks like.  They're supposed to be 4" long on whichever side is welded to the cage structure.  So, on a 90 deg tube junction, your triangular plate gusset is 4" x 4" x 5.65".  The idea behind the tube gusset wording is to have tube gussets that provide at least the same amount of "triangulation" as a plate gusset.  It's supposed to be 4" out from the tube junction along each tube that is being triangulated, not a tangental point that's 4" from the junction point as you've pictured.  Again, the point was the have tube gussets that at least support the same area as a 4" plate gusset would and not less.

Nonetheless it looks like you have that well covered.

Yes, you are 100% right.  Interpretation is key.  It's clear as a bell now.
Cheers

Offline unobtainium

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 03:18:47 AM »
Boy you do nice welds!! what rod diameter are you useing? and what is the welder? Do you "cope" the ends on a milling machine?

Rex

Rex, Thanks. They better be good after all this time...Still improving though, and hopefully that never stops!
Rod diameter is tied directly to wall thickness on the tube. The thinner tube (4130) I'll use .045" or 1/16", and .095+ I use 1/16" or 3/32".
I run hot and try never to "disturb" the puddle. I use a Baleigh TN250 radial vise notcher and usually Morse or JMR hole saws. The Lowes Lennox ones work ok too.
Cheers