Author Topic: Herbert-Evernham Streamliner  (Read 27651 times)

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
Re: Herbert-Evernham Streamliner
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2013, 01:08:35 AM »
My bad FIA. Don't get me wrong i would like to see the NAE take the record from THRUST SSC but i think that by not putting a roll cage in the NAE ed and his partner have spent a lot of money and time on a car that will never be able to run for the record. I hope that i am wrong and they get there chance.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:12:41 AM by racefanwfo »
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2013, 02:06:16 AM »
My bad FIA. Don't get me wrong i would like to see the NAE take the record from THRUST SSC but i think that by not putting a roll cage in the NAE ed and his partner have spent a lot of money and time on a car that will never be able to run for the record. I hope that i am wrong and they get there chance.

I have to admit I know little about the NAE car however I do know two of the drivers/pilots they announced would be driving and neither have made any passes in the "car" and are no longer listed as the "drivers"

I would to see it run also however it has to be built to rules in place otherwise it's been a waste of his time, money and others time and money as well.  I can't wait for Vesco's car to make some runs.. :cheers:

John

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2013, 09:12:36 PM »
I would be surprised if there was a cage rule for the ULSR cars.  When we looked at Breedlove's car years ago the first thing we noticed there was not a cage in it.  When we asked Craig about it and he said you don't build a Lear Jet to be able to crash it into a mountain.  Any crash in the 700+ range is likely to result in a mortal injury, much like any jet.  I would vote for a Martin or ACES in mine... 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2013, 10:28:30 PM »
I'll go along with Stainless. I haven't read all the FIA rules but I don't recall too much on safety. If there are no plans to run at an event which refers to a sanctioning body with safety rules......What's forcing you to follow any?
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2013, 11:24:08 PM »
I was told by the guy that is in the process of buying the ex breedlove/fossett car that the FIA requires some type of a rollcage in the car.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »
I would be surprised if there was a cage rule for the ULSR cars.  When we looked at Breedlove's car years ago the first thing we noticed there was not a cage in it.  When we asked Craig about it and he said you don't build a Lear Jet to be able to crash it into a mountain.  Any crash in the 700+ range is likely to result in a mortal injury, much like any jet.  I would vote for a Martin or ACES in mine... 

I seem to remember several "racing incidents" that occurred at less than top speeds.  Might be nice to survive one of those.
Rabid Snail Racing

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2013, 09:35:45 PM »
The FIA doesn't require a cage in a race car. You will notice there is no cage in F1 cars either. I don't even have to wear a fire suit which
means I could go naked if I wanted (never mind that vision). The FIA rule book is pretty wide open and they pretty much leave it up to
the various sanctioning organizations to set their rules for the competitors. After all, what would a cage do at 800 MPH but retain some of
the body parts. The real measure of safety is stability and control plus experience. I've driven hundreds of mile on the salt and dry lakes.
I've also conducted 34 test runs in the NAE with the max speed up to date at 400. I could have gone faster quite easily but El Mirage
isn't long enough, Edwards AFB only gave us 6 miles and the Black Rock was to rough to exceed 300. Some people think we should just
go out there and run fast without all this silly testing we have been doing. Andy Green had something in the order of 62 runs by the time
they went for the record. This fall, we will know more than ever about the ability of the NAE to be driven past 600 MPH and eventually
into the record books. Just because we don't have 50 million dollars to fund our project doesn't mean we're a bunch of fools. We just
have to do it old fashioned "Hot Rod" way.
Ed

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2013, 11:05:29 PM »
ed , is that how much money ssc had to run with ? holy s..t.     hats off to you guys and gals . the hot rod way sounds very american.  get that damn record back over here.                                                          mitchell

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2013, 11:36:43 PM »
The Thrust SSC was 24 million. The Bloodhound is budgeted for 50 million, last I heard.
Ed

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2013, 12:58:11 AM »
The Thrust SSC was 24 million. The Bloodhound is budgeted for 50 million, last I heard.
Wow! That's even more than Speed Demon!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2013, 06:30:43 AM »
lol ----to date maybe
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2013, 09:59:18 PM »

Doug says "the car is about 80% done right now, and they still hope to have it done and ready for next year."

Tom G.
Yeah, we all know how that goes, 80 percent done, 80% left to go. LOL.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2013, 10:17:25 PM »
 :cheers: lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2013, 11:19:33 PM »
get back to work Bill... the last 20% takes longer than the first 80.
see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2013, 07:32:57 AM »
When you are 98% "done" you are exactly half-way!  :-D :-o :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz