Author Topic: Herbert-Evernham Streamliner  (Read 27611 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: Herbert-Evernham Streamliner
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 10:54:17 AM »
Website says delayed until 2014 with same excuse for delays as past 2-3 years- not enough time.....
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline DSR88

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »
If she can bring the $$$$ it gonna take to finsh the car and get on the salt more power to her. As for going 450 mph
because a T/F car goes 300+ in a 1000 feet well we have heard that before. Still a good move on Doug's part. Maybe she can make it happen.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
She better come up with a LOT of $$$$$$$$$$$$  I can not even imagine how much it would cost to finish that car in a NASCAR related shop!!!!!!  Maybe the UAW will sponsor them  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »
Bringing $$$$ to the table ain't her strong suite. If it was she'd still be running NHRA. Evernham would be more likely better at spinning the fact that Shirley was going to drive the car, to help bring in cash.

I'd like to see it happen. I don't think she'd have problems driving the car, as a matter of fact I think she'd do a fine job. I predict a short learning curve.

The big question is will the car preform up to expectations, that part may take awhile.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »
rouse you hit the nail on the head. Shes a legend of the sport but shes pushing 70 now. What audience to do you have her market a product to? The typical drag racing fan is a male and quite a bit younger than her. They wanna see the Courtney or Brittney Forces, Erica Enders or Alexis DeJoria hawking a product. I wish her the best of luck, shes proven over the years she can drive most anything.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »
shes pushing 70 now

73 actually. Any relevance that Shirley may have had to . . . well, anything, is long in the past.

Won the Top Fuel Championship for the last time in 1982 . . . a third of a century ago!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
There is a big differencen from a 4 sec,300mph run then a 7 second mile at over 400+ mph.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline joea

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
Frankie..Sparky...our country is pretty "seasoned".....with the enthusiasm for the likes of
George Foreman abit ago, and now Diana Nyad....maybe AARP could come on board as a primary
sponsor...lord knows...Nascar folks know how to get sponsors...(and the Brits..:))...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »
When Don Garlits got in the two club his statement at the banquet was thats the longest time he ever had to steer a race car on any track, he also said in his dragster he got in the car hit the gas and pulled the chute' : run over, it's a different ride on the salt.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 05:28:44 PM »
Come on Cha Cha  I also would like to see Shirley on the salt. Do you think it will happen ?
It would be awesome to see "Cha Cha" out on the salt someday, but do I think it will happen? Nope! In fact I'm not holding my breath to even see the car itself make an appearance on the salt. Hope I'm wrong.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »
Grief makes us do strange things---the old man had a dream---I doubt his kid does:

for whatever your reasons you better have a burning desire to satisfy "Salt Fever to become a sub 12 or sub 8 second mile" ---it burns up a lot of cash, days, nights, months an Lots and lots of relationships male and female.  :cry:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline JR529

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 06:15:44 PM »
73 actually. Any relevance that Shirley may have had to . . . well, anything, is long in the past.

Hell, what relevance do any of us have? She's forgot more about driving than I will ever know and definitely won more Top Fuel championships than me. As to being 73, well shit, that about the average age for Bonneville "guys" now  :-P.

Offline rouse

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »
rouse you hit the nail on the head. Shes a legend of the sport but shes pushing 70 now. What audience to do you have her market a product to? The typical drag racing fan is a male and quite a bit younger than her. They wanna see the Courtney or Brittney Forces, Erica Enders or Alexis DeJoria hawking a product. I wish her the best of luck, shes proven over the years she can drive most anything.

I ways running TAD back when she and the "Old Man"  Don Garlits, where match racing each other. Years later I ways on the salt when Garlits ran the flat head at over 217, He did fine on the salt, even thou he did note about how much the car moved around at speed. Shirley will do just fine too, if she ever does get on the salt.

I'd have to say starting with a 400 plus car would be one hell of a tall order,so I'd expect a longer learning curve than Garlits had, just as a practical matter. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that like every one else that have run that kind of speed, it will take some time, Car and Driver.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline rouse

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 06:22:46 PM »

Hell, what relevance do any of us have? She's forgot more about driving than I will ever know and definitely won more Top Fuel championships than me. As to being 73, well Subaru, that about the average age for Bonneville "guys" now  :-P.

Hell fire the Greek is so old people quit counting at 80 several years ago, and he was at Indy last weekend trying to qualify his TF car.

Go Figure :?

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »

Hell, what relevance do any of us have? She's forgot more about driving than I will ever know and definitely won more Top Fuel championships than me. As to being 73, well Subaru, that about the average age for Bonneville "guys" now  :-P.

Yep, we all knew who she was and 'we' are the audience,

Sum