Author Topic: World of Speed 2013 - the event  (Read 33021 times)

Offline Wester

Re: World of Speed 2013 - the event
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 12:25:57 AM »
Monte, Gary and Ellen Wilkinson and others are on the salt. They will post on salt flats.com in the morning with an update. The word is there have been some light rains but nothing major. Ellen told me this afternoon when she reached the end of the pavement that there was water standing in tire ruts leading away from the end of the road but nothing that wouldn't dry in a day or so.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »
So you still need my tower?  I was gonna bring the whole thing: the tower itself, flat screen monitor, keyboard and mouse.  Since I'm gonna leave today, I need to know what to put in the Burb.

And I'll see about getting whatever software we need from Meridix.  I'm not sure how to get it to your laptop or the "new" tower -- but I'll find out tomorrow and letcha know.  Travel safely.

Jon, I will download it to my laptop, copy it to a thumb drive and have it ready to load on the tower Friday!
I'll get the password for the software from you Friday!

Gregg

Currently in Jackson Hole, WY on our way to WoS!

Offline Freud

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »
The tower isn't needed now but pontoons would be nice.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 01:20:16 PM »
If you haven't heard, read the thread called "WoS is Cancelled." http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,13139.0.html

The event has been cancelled due to standing water on the salt.  BJ Burkdoll reported it to Jeff McVey and it was confirmed by Dallas Volk.

One word: Sh*t!

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »
Ray:

Look on the bright side!  Now you won't be embarrased by my 2.0 liter, 4-banger econo-box Focus versus your Camaro in the 130MPH Club.

See you at the Shootout - I hope!!!!!

Jeff
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »
LOL!  I still look forward to competing in our "Red Car Index of Performance." 

I sure wish the tire mounting machine hadn't slipped its grip and scarred one of the brand new wheels.  I guess I can get the right valve stems from TireRack now instead of usin the stems from the Monte Carlo's wheels.

I, too, hope to see ya at the Shootout...and I hope I get to do it in the Target 550 pits!

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2013, 06:19:15 PM »
Ray:

The Red Car Shootout will have to wait until at least 2014 now.   I guess the good news is that I won't be getting salt all over it just yet.  It's only got about 1300 miles on it so far.  Hopefully, I'll still be making two more trips to Bonneville this year, but they'll be in my pickup.  The little red car will have to wait. 

In fact, I may not even bring it next year.   I should have the 1959 Commer Cob ready for its assault on the WoS 150MPH Club, which I'm hoping will be at least the 105MPH Club.   The new engine is running and ready to go in once we get the brakes and a few other little things straightened out.   It should be the World's Fastest "Production" Commer Cob.   So far, Gabriel Uttley is the only guy I've talked to on the Salt that knows what it is!

I'll be doing a "NO rain" dance for the next month.

------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »

I'll be doing a "NO rain" dance for the next month.

That makes two of us!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

gkabbt

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »
So you still need my tower?  I was gonna bring the whole thing: the tower itself, flat screen monitor, keyboard and mouse.  Since I'm gonna leave today, I need to know what to put in the Burb.

Ray, I have just read the news about WoS being canceled. Damnit!
I would like to say many thanks for stepping up and offering your computer!
We will have better plans for next year!

Also, I'm not planning to stick around for the Shootout.

Gregg

Currently in Jackson Hole, WY on our way back to NC in the morning!  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2013, 03:53:51 AM »
No problem, Gregg.  I was just getting it ready to load in the Burb when I got the call.  I guess I'm more fortunate than some...it's only 2 hours travel for me.  But that was my only chance to race this year.  I guess I'm gonna have to wax it up again and hit a car show or cruise nite now and then.  Or I could do like I did last nite and drive it to get a burger and just enjoy the feeling of the steering and gearbox and listen to the exhaust and smile. 

Offline SteveM

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2013, 08:49:16 AM »
I feel especially bad for the USFRA and Gregg.  Gregg has been driving across the country for what seems like weeks, gathering knowledge and stuff to help out with the event.

Mother Nature must have been in a bad mood.  It's best to let her get over it, and hope she's feeling better soon.

Steve
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2013, 10:01:54 PM »
I feel especially bad for the USFRA and Gregg.  Gregg has been driving across the country for what seems like weeks, gathering knowledge and stuff to help out with the event.

Mother Nature must have been in a bad mood.  It's best to let her get over it, and hope she's feeling better soon.

Steve

I'm like you Steve, I feel sorry for the USFRA and the racers.
Don't feel sorry for me and Lynda, it's been a good road trip so far even though we're headed in the wrong direction!  :-D

Gregg

Currently in Denver, CO on our way back to NC.

Offline Wester

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2013, 04:39:24 PM »
Someone suggested a no-rain dance but I was informed that those are only effective if the dancer is nude.  I want to know who tried it and proved that for best results it's better to keep your clothes on?

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »
All of us from the USFRA wanted to extend our wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.
We are looking forward to a great 2014 and wish you great success in all your endeavors but especially racing.
Go fast, be safe!