Author Topic: World of Speed 2013 - the event  (Read 33027 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
World of Speed 2013 - the event
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:52:37 AM »
Somebody gets to start these event-specific topics, and this time it'll be me.  Feel free to put your stuff here -- be they requests for pre-entries to buy or sell, rooms needed or to spare, and everything else that relates to the coming WoS.  thanks.  I'll see you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
Re: World of Speed 2013 - the event
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:00:58 AM »
Here's my issue du jour:

The coomputer tower that we had planned to use for streaming took a dive this past weekend at MM's place -- where he and Gkabbt were testing it for action.  And it died Sunday -- when replacements are hard to find and gkabbt was readying to leave on the rest of his sojourn to Bville.

So now we are without a tower to use.  We might be able to borrow a laptop that'd work, but that's a last resort - in that the computer, whatever it is, will have to work about 10 non-stop hours/day.  Laptops like to be cooled by a fan when they run that long, and also don't like the salty environment.  Not that towers are any different, but they DO have internal fans and are way cheaper to replace if the salt sends one to computer heaven.  I've got a tower here in Upper Michigan that we can use -- but taking it along on the airplane out to SLC next week seems to be a daunting challenge.  If any of youse guys have taken one before - either as checked or carry on - how'd you do it?  What kind of hassle at security??  What problems keeping it in one piece if checked baggage? 

An other alternative is for one of you to offer a tower that's useable - and that you can take out there and leave with me for both WoS and the Shootout.  The computer needed to have Vista or W7/W8 on it, and will need to be loaded with the software from the streaming company we use. 

If you've got such a unit -- by all means, get in touch with me.  I'll be forwarding your message to Chris/MM 'cause he's the one that set up the rest of the streaming system - so he's better equipped to figure out if your 'puter can do what we need/

Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »
Jon,
We have our monthly meeting tonight. I will mention your dilemma to our club members and see if there
is anyone that could help.
Monte.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »
Thanks, Monte.  As you probably know by now -- streaming from WoS is anticipated like a virgin's first prom (whatever that means).  With Glen announcing on the 2-way radio and Ron on the broadcast -- everyone will get to hear the guys they like and know.  I sure don't want to goof up this chance.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Texican

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:49:46 PM »
Can somebody nib-nose around, and see if there is an outfit that might like to do a trade-out for advertising?
Jon, you know full well how that system works in Radio.

I would not recommend PC Laptops, as they are the most obnoxious ads on radio; formerly Totally Awful; run by supernut Del Schanze.

Jim

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 02:17:33 PM »
There are a buncha refurb/used towers on Amazon fer relatively cheep.  Here's one:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Featuring-Performance-Separately-Professional/dp/B0045VBKM2/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1377713451&sr=1-5&keywords=tower

If need be, I could have it delivered to me and you could either pick it up from me or I could deliver it to ya on the salt.

If that might work out, I'd suggest bringing the broken computer so that info could be transferred.

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 12:48:50 AM »
Been looking on the web site for WOS pre-entry list so we can have an idea who is racing at this event, any info would be appreciated, thanks Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 10:05:17 AM »
Jim Burkdoll and myself will be making a trip to the salt early this Saturday morning to check conditions.
We will post pictures and information on the USFRA web site (saltflats.com) and here at Landracing to keep everyone updated.

gkabbt

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 10:36:25 PM »
There are a buncha refurb/used towers on Amazon fer relatively cheep.  Here's one:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Featuring-Performance-Separately-Professional/dp/B0045VBKM2/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1377713451&sr=1-5&keywords=tower

If need be, I could have it delivered to me and you could either pick it up from me or I could deliver it to ya on the salt.

If that might work out, I'd suggest bringing the broken computer so that info could be transferred.

Ray,

Is there any place in SLC that would have good, cheap towers? I'm willing to purchase one for the cause!

Chris, hope you see this,
Does the tower need to have Vista, W7-8 or would XP work? Might be easier to find one of those!

Gregg

Currently in Rapid City, SD on our way to WoS!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:47:51 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 11:51:40 PM »
Gregg, it is Windows based, and Vista, XP, 7 or 8 should all work.

RAY - MAKE SURE THE SOUND CARD IS WORKING FOR BOTH INPUT AND OUTPUT!

We're kinda screwed without the AD/DA converter thingy going on . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 12:38:48 AM »
Gregg, I'll kick $20.00 to help purchase a "new" tower.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

gkabbt

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »
Chris, thanks for the OS input.....We'll see if Ray can find something in SLC.
I would feel more comfortable going that route than Amazon.
Mike, extremely generous offer.....THANKS!  :cheers:

Gregg

Leaving Rapid City, SD in a few headed to Sheridan, WY on our way to WoS!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »
I wish this had been brought up a coupla days ago.  I would have ordered it from Amazon.  I'll have to look around and see what I can find.  I prefer Amazon and would have been able to check it out myself beforehand.  But I'll do the best I can.

gkabbt

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 07:23:46 PM »
I wish this had been brought up a coupla days ago.  I would have ordered it from Amazon.  I'll have to look around and see what I can find.  I prefer Amazon and would have been able to check it out myself beforehand.  But I'll do the best I can.

Ray, sorry to drop this on you like this.  :oops:

When we found out the old tower was shot Sunday, I said I would use my laptop. After several posted that a laptop would probably have issues being "up" for so long each day. That is where the search for a new tower came into play. Jon pinged a guy in Wendover to see if he could help but, as of now, he cannot. I then saw your post about Amazon and it seemed like there was not enough time to get it to you so that is where getting one from SLC came from.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. As I posted yesterday, if you can find one, I'll pickup the tab for cause.

Gregg

Currently in Sheridan, WY on our way to WoS!

Offline gande

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
 Aug. 31, at 10:00 AM :-D WORLD OF SPEED IS A GO!  :-D The salt is in excellent shape and DRY.  Our USFRA officials are currently driving the tracks. The tracks look good and we will start dragging in the next day or two. There isn't any standing water.  We will see you next week.  Inspection day is Sept. 6th, Racing starts Sept. 7th and will end Sept. 10th. SEE YOU ON THE SALT!