Author Topic: Corvette rim width  (Read 12944 times)

Offline aussievetteracer

Corvette rim width
« on: August 24, 2013, 12:46:16 AM »
I am having steel wheels made for my C4 Vette here in Oz. I intend to run G/Y Eagle L/S tyres, 25.0 x 4.5 - 15. G/Y recommend using a rim width of 4.5" but my supplier does not do 1/2" sizes. Should I go for a 4" rim or 5" rim width using these tyres. Thanks in advance.
                                             Denis
Denis

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Corvette rim width
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:00:10 AM »
Denis;

A 5" rim will increase the tire's lateral stiffness a bit-- I'd go with it.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline aussievetteracer

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 02:13:42 AM »
Thanks Neil- I have great respect for your knowledge of motorsport in general, and LSR in particular. At a recent historic Race Meeting at Lakeside Circut (near Brisbane, Qld)  I saw (and even better, heard) a Maclaren which you may have come across in your travels- bright yellow, and still bearing the driver name of Sam Posey
.                                                                                                                  Regards, Denis
Denis

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 02:23:27 AM »
Hey, Denis -

Neil's right on that call, but there might be other options.

I take it you're looking for 15s?

Udo Horn wound up making his own wheels using VW Bug rims.  He cut out the centers and had new centers laser cut to fit.  If your guy isn't averse to that kind of work, it's an option.

I'd also suggest contacting a US manufacturer to source only the rim and having the centers built by your wheelwright.

10,000 years, 100 years at Bonneville, and we're still reinventing the damned wheel . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 07:49:55 AM »
Just a thought I had. Are you sure 15's will fit over the Vetts brakes? Hate for you to spend a bunch of money and not fit.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »
Thanks Neil- I have great respect for your knowledge of motorsport in general, and LSR in particular. At a recent historic Race Meeting at Lakeside Circut (near Brisbane, Qld)  I saw (and even better, heard) a Maclaren which you may have come across in your travels- bright yellow, and still bearing the driver name of Sam Posey
.                                                                                                                  Regards, Denis

Ol' "Loquacious Sam" ... as he was once called when he was doing some TV commentating. Depending on the model of McLaren, we may have run against him in the old Can-Am Series. Best of luck with your 'vette!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »

Ol' "Loquacious Sam" ... as he was once called when he was doing some TV commentating. Depending on the model of McLaren, we may have run against him in the old Can-Am Series. Best of luck with your 'vette!

Oh, dear - side-tracked again.  The 1970 Trans-Am Challenger is the car I see in the back of my mind when I read his name.  Mopar pulled the rug out from under them mid season, but seeing that car and Swede Savage's Cuda on the grid . . .

10 years old, but those are the guys and the cars and the era that keep me stuck in production based racing.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline aussievetteracer

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »
Chris- this bloke imports dual pattern Ford/Chev centres from US and welds them to the required rim. He will then machine a centre ring to bring the wheel to the vette centre bore of 70.3 mm, and weld this ring to the wheel. He has supplied wheels to other salt racers here, and his reputation is good. His prices aren't bad either- about $325.00 US per wheel.

Ron- thanks for the reminder on brakes. Because I will run the vette in tarmac sprints (less the ballast!) I will use the Willwood 6pot ft/ 4 pot rear brakes  I already have. They will not fit with the meaty race rotors I normally use, but I will make new mounting brackets for the calipers, to bring them closer to the centre, and use small, thinner rotors, for the salt.

Chris- congratters on the Midgets salt run- I have followed the "engine endeavours" with great interest, and enjoyed watching your speeds gradually creep up, during the week.

Regards, Denis
Denis

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »
the reason Goodyear wants the narrow rims is so tire centrif.  forces will not suck the tire off the wheel---I would go to what lengths you need to to get the correct rim width if you are hoping for vey much speed---Chuck at Taylor Made made me go with 6" wheels on the MT 26---boy were they a bitch to mount---Nate earned his money at $125. per tire
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 01:54:51 PM »
15's will not fit over the stock brakes.
We converted over to Camaro brakes. It is a shame as the stock Vette brakes are pretty good. How about running 26.5 MT tires. 18" wheel will clear brakes just fine. I'm also betting they hook up better than the Goodyears.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »
I am having steel wheels made for my C4 Vette here in Oz. I intend to run G/Y Eagle L/S tyres, 25.0 x 4.5 - 15. G/Y recommend using a rim width of 4.5" but my supplier does not do 1/2" sizes. Should I go for a 4" rim or 5" rim width using these tyres. Thanks in advance.
                                             Denis

We have always used 5'' rims on 24'' and 23'' G/Y Eagle tires, have gone 294mph avg with 318 indicated with no problems with 50 lbs. psi.

JL222

Online toclub

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 08:35:27 PM »
We use 15" x 7" wide on our C-4  with camero brakes. Gone 274 with no problems. Contack Diamond Racing wheels. Welded 360 degrees and $50 each. Great wheels.

Online toclub

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »
I need to correct my response. We use 15"x7" on the 28" rears and 5" on the 25" front.

Offline aussievetteracer

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 03:09:39 AM »
I need to correct my response. We use 15"x7" on the 28" rears and 5" on the 25" front ]                                     
Can you advise the actual tyre dimensions that you used please?
                                                                                          Thanks, Denis
Denis

Online toclub

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 08:02:21 PM »
We use the goodyear 300's (27.8 " dia.) on the rear with 7" wide Diamond wheels. On the front we use the 25 " goodyear 300's. You can use the same wheels even if you use the standard goodyear front runners. We have gone over 250 with the standard frontrunners. I don't know how fast you plan to go but if it is around 200mph, stick with the standard frontrunners. $170 vs. $600. We use 60 psi in the frontrunners and 80 psi in the 300"s.