Author Topic: Bike vs. Car Impound Engine Measurement  (Read 10482 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Bike vs. Car Impound Engine Measurement
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 10:41:51 AM »
I have done that. If you contact the association board and give your location, they may be able to steer you to someone near you who can inspect your engine and seal it. At the salt i don't know. 

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 04:08:59 PM »
Last year and the year before I ran the sidecar in gas and fuel.  I got the gas record and went to impound.  I pulled the head off for the measurement.  As I have a single its not a problem.  After the measurement I had the engine sealed.  Went out and got the fuel record.  Seal in place. No measurement.  No problem.  At WF my gas record was taken. 

This year I went to get it back and was just barely successful (by .511 mph).  When I got to impound last years seal was still in place.  Seals are valid for 365 days.  When I went to impound I didn't realize it but it was the 364th day of the seals validity.  When Matt checked my log book he was happy and no teardown was necessary.

I believe you can get the engine measured and sealed before an event.  Best to check with Matt or Tom to be certain.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »
I've never figured out how the seal magically becomes invalid in 365 days.  Did it just dissolve?  What was the reasoning (or lack of) behind that rule change which was made in semi-recent years?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline edinlr

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 06:00:31 PM »
I've never figured out how the seal magically becomes invalid in 365 days.  Did it just dissolve?  What was the reasoning (or lack of) behind that rule change which was made in semi-recent years?

Stan, I usually put on a few pounds every year, so I am guessing SCTA uses that same logic to figure our 500 could have grown to a 550.   :cheers:
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 06:04:10 PM »
I can think of one potential reason that the folks in inspection/impound won't measure and seal your engine before you make runs.  Assuming you ask for a measurement early in the race event -- the inspectors are very busy inspecting and would probably rather get all of the bikes done and racing before taking the time away from that to measure.  Ask them a few days after the beginning of an event and they'll be more likely to measure you then.

Remember -- I'm just making an assumption here.  Ask the inspectors, email Matt, and keep in mind what I've said.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 06:27:19 PM »
What does the rule book say, and the Bonneville operating procedure.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »
I can think of one potential reason that the folks in inspection/impound won't measure and seal your engine before you make runs.  Assuming you ask for a measurement early in the race event -- the inspectors are very busy inspecting and would probably rather get all of the bikes done and racing before taking the time away from that to measure.  Ask them a few days after the beginning of an event and they'll be more likely to measure you then.

Remember -- I'm just making an assumption here.  Ask the inspectors, email Matt, and keep in mind what I've said.

I would think What SSS has said makes sense.  What if everyone wanted their engine checked and sealed.  Takes time and how many of those would set a record and how many wouldn't?  I guess if only a few wanted it done and the guys weren't swamped it might work or like has been mentioned done at some point prior to a meet,

Sum

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 07:37:04 PM »
Folks in SoCal can often take advantage to having a nearby inspector seal an engine before an event.  Saves a lot of time during the event -- and a seal is a seal.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 10:44:33 PM »
Sometimes sea lions are mistaken for seals!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 12:04:05 AM »
Very old seal are sometimes referred to as "seal"ocancths.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.