Author Topic: Bike vs. Car Impound Engine Measurement  (Read 10484 times)

Offline Grandpa Jones

Bike vs. Car Impound Engine Measurement
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:14:17 PM »
Hi all,

Wondering about the difference, why bikes teardown for their first record, and cars can seal the
engine and be measured later?

Anyone know the history behind this?

Cheers, Dave

Offline **RP**

Re: Bike vs. Car Impound Engine Measurement
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »
Bikes can seal and teardown later too.  Some bike engines difficult to check.  Some people just like to get it done before the end of the meet.... and the tech people probably appreciate that.  Don't know any history on that.
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline JimL

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:14:04 PM »
We were told that is no longer done.  Measure on the first return run record, and then seal for the rest of your event.  Your seal expires in 365 days.

Some engines dont need full teardown, depending on plug position and available access to that plug hole.  If you have centered plugs, consider that "straight in access" during your build.  If the inspectors cant get the full length of their tools straight, you will have to tear down.  Be prepared for them to have accessible seal bolts, pre drilled.

Think as you build, "how can I make this easier for the inspectors?". For example, next time, I will have photos of the top of the piston, so they can see what they are trying to feel. 

Also, make sure you know where your valves are during the stroke or bore measurement.  You will be the guy turning the crankshaft.  Dont be doing that with a ratchet handle that might let the cam lobes suddenly spin the crankshaft.  Be prepared to turn and hold that crankshaft accurately and securely.

Regards, JimL

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 11:01:16 PM »
And if it's a 2-stroke you're pulling the head regardless of plug position.

I know that for a fact.  :-D

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »
Quite a bit of seasoned knowledge by a six-year-old.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 11:26:24 AM »
As the Impound Steward I have set the procedure for the car side. I let the m/c guys operate their own program. I do know that as the week progresses we get some cars trickle in for measurement during the slow periods. This helps keep the staff awake and earning their meager salary. Down side is that I have been in 3" of water certifying engines. There can be an overload of work on the last day but, not to often.

I think Matt and his staff try to avoid that issue.

On the car side the paperwork is in the hands of the competitor and their responsibility. If lost = no record.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 05:22:23 PM »
A few years ago is the most recent time I had the pleasure of being in impound, and at that time Tom Evans was still the head honcho.  His attitude towards measuring the bike's displacement revolved around doing it after the return run had established that the bike got the record - because, as he said, if you blow it up later in the event -- you can't measure a blown up engine.  He also suggested doing it promptly to get it done and out of the way.  I haven't been in impound (except to visit, dang it) since Matt took over as chief M/C guy, so I don't know what he and his minions are doing in re: the measurement now v. later thing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline paso54

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Hi Slim when you did visit impound with your ZX12R was it a head off job or did the Measuring tools fit ?  P  8-)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 03:44:36 PM »
Neither.  The tool would not have worked -- the spark plug hole is off-center.  But (especially) since the claimed displacement was about 6% less than the class high limit -- they oil pumped it.  The number they came up with matched the measured displacement (from when the motor was built).  Someplace around here I've even got a photo or two of the thing being tested.  Shall I try to find it?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »
Slim, If I claim my motor is undersize for my class can I opt for the oil test vs a teardown? I'd even pay for the oil.
John

Offline 8pack

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 05:22:57 PM »
A few years ago is the most recent time I had the pleasure of being in impound, and at that time Tom Evans was still the head honcho.  His attitude towards measuring the bike's displacement revolved around doing it after the return run had established that the bike got the record - because, as he said, if you blow it up later in the event -- you can't measure a blown up engine.  He also suggested doing it promptly to get it done and out of the way.  I haven't been in impound (except to visit, dang it) since Matt took over as chief M/C guy, so I don't know what he and his minions are doing in re: the measurement now v. later thing.

From my what I have seen Matt runs it like Tom use to. After my record run I pulled the pushrods and they air pumped my motor. When Tom pumped my motor it was way under the size limit so no problem (889cc in 1000cc class). This year I was way over the limit so no problem either (3340cc in unlimited or 3000+ class). Both times were painless.
Redline is a Goal. Not a limit.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 05:51:55 PM »
Unh, Vin, it doesn't work like that.  That is -- if they were to pump your engine and it showed pretty close to the limit -- they'd likely ask you to next let them mesure it more precisely - via a spark plug hole or even with the head off.  Don't mess with 'em -- remember, arguing with an inspector is like fighting a pig in the mud.  The pig likes it.  (I've seen that posted in the SCTA bike inspection trailer - so you know they live it).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 10:13:15 PM »
The 12 port head I ran had a near vertical  spark plug that was not near the center at all; in fact was within 1/2" of the side. The stroke was easy to get and I built a tool to measure the bore. It was made of a fairly hard wire with a loop in it at edge under the sparkplug hole. I attached a fine fish line to the short side. It was exactly the size of the bore. With the piston at the bottom I put in the tool and you could see through the sp hole it sat flat on the piston and could not "wiggle" This proved the bore.......It was fortunate the piston was flat.......The tool had rounded ends was was measured prior to putting in and after taking it out. The fish line made removing easier with the piston at the bottom.....good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline paso54

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 04:58:31 AM »
Neither.  The tool would not have worked -- the spark plug hole is off-center.  But (especially) since the claimed displacement was about 6% less than the class high limit -- they oil pumped it.  The number they came up with matched the measured displacement (from when the motor was built).  Someplace around here I've even got a photo or two of the thing being tested.  Shall I try to find it?

That would be good if you could slim just trying to cover all our bases we need to learn as much as we can before next year   :-) Cheers phil

Offline runt13

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 09:43:10 AM »
ok, I got to ask!

can I get my engine measured before I make the first run?

Just thinking out loud here, but if I were to do this, get engine sealed I wouldn't have to worry about it, just concentrate on the other million things on my mind.
who would have guessed it would take so long to go so fast for such a short time?

2012 Wilmington mile
April meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record, 132.601mph

September meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record 139.915mph [bump]
p/pp-1650/4 record 142.364 mph
p/pp-2000/4 record 140.009 mph
p/pp-3000/4 record 144.511 mph

2013 Wilmington mile
July meet,
m/pg-1650/4 record 137.278
m/pg-2000/4 record 136.695