Author Topic: How Long for the Water to Go Away ?  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Slow8

• New folks
How Long for the Water to Go Away ?
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:41:01 AM »
It rained pretty hard on the salt yesterday and there is a lot of water out there.  How long does it take for that to go away?  Is it something that takes a couple hours to seep into the salt or do you have to wait for it all to evaporate? 

Offline USFRAMONTE

Re: How Long for the Water to Go Away ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:47:50 AM »
It's hard to say exactly but usually this time of year one day will make a huge difference. If no more rain comes along then BUB should be running on Sunday with no problem.

stwheeler

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
Special Weather Statement for Salt Lake And Tooele Valleys, UT

Other affected areas:
Cache Valley/Utah Portion, UT;  Northern Wasatch Front, UT;  Salt Lake and Tooele Valleys, UT;  Southern Wasatch Front, UT;  Great Salt Lake Desert and Mountains, UT;  Wasatch Mountain Valleys, UT;  Wasatch Mountains I-80 North, UT;  Wasatch Mountains South of I-80, UT;  Western Uinta Mountains, UT;  Wasatch Plateau/Book Cliffs, UT;  Western Uinta Basin, UT;  Castle Country, UT;  San Rafael Swell, UT;  Sanpete/Sevier Valleys, UT;  West Central Utah, UT;  Southwest Utah, UT;  Utah's Dixie and Zion National Park, UT;  South Central Utah, UT;  Glen Canyon Recreation Area/Lake Powell, UT;  Central and Southwest Mountains, UT;  Southern Utah Mountains, UT;  Southwest Wyoming, WY
Less
Issued by The National Weather Service
Salt Lake City, UT

Local Weather Alert

Special Weather Statement for Great Salt Lake Desert And Mountains, UT

Other affected areas:
Cache Valley/Utah Portion, UT;  Northern Wasatch Front, UT;  Salt Lake and Tooele Valleys, UT;  Southern Wasatch Front, UT;  Great Salt Lake Desert and Mountains, UT;  Wasatch Mountain Valleys, UT;  Wasatch Mountains I-80 North, UT;  Wasatch Mountains South of I-80, UT;  Western Uinta Mountains, UT;  Wasatch Plateau/Book Cliffs, UT;  Western Uinta Basin, UT;  Castle Country, UT;  San Rafael Swell, UT;  Sanpete/Sevier Valleys, UT;  West Central Utah, UT;  Southwest Utah, UT;  Utah's Dixie and Zion National Park, UT;  South Central Utah, UT;  Glen Canyon Recreation Area/Lake Powell, UT;  Central and Southwest Mountains, UT;  Southern Utah Mountains, UT;  Southwest Wyoming, WY
Less
Issued by The National Weather Service
Salt Lake City, UT

Fri, Aug 23, 2013, 5:14 AM MDT

Local Radar Map
Updated Aug 23, 2013, 8:45am MDT

Weather in MotionĀ®   |   Enlarge Map
Get WeatherReady
WeatherReady Safety and Preparedness Tips
More Severe Weather Readiness Tips
National and Local Weather News
Watches & Warnings Explained
Storm Watch (video)
... COOLER AND WETTER WEATHER COMING TO CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN UTAH...

SIGNIFICANT MOISTURE WILL SPREAD INTO THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE STATE SUNDAY INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK BRINGING THE POTENTIAL FOR WIDESPREAD RAIN TO THE AREA. IN ADDITION TO THE RAIN... SIGNIFICANTLY COOLER TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED WITH TEMPERATURES FALLING 10 DEGREES BELOW FRIDAYS READINGS BY SUNDAY.

DEPENDING ON HOW THIS SYSTEM EVOLVES... THERE MAY BE THE POTENTIAL FOR LOCALIZED FLASH FLOODING WITH THE RAINFALL SUNDAY INTO MONDAY. ANYONE LIVING IN OR TRAVELING TO CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN UTAH DURING THIS PERIOD SHOULD CONTINUE TO MONITOR FUTURE FORECASTS OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

Fri, Aug 23, 2013, 5:14 AM MDT

Local Radar Map
Updated Aug 23, 2013, 7:35am MDT

Weather in MotionĀ®   |   Enlarge Map
Get WeatherReady
WeatherReady Safety and Preparedness Tips
More Severe Weather Readiness Tips
National and Local Weather News
Watches & Warnings Explained
Storm Watch (video)
... COOLER AND WETTER WEATHER COMING TO CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN UTAH...

SIGNIFICANT MOISTURE WILL SPREAD INTO THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE STATE SUNDAY INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK BRINGING THE POTENTIAL FOR WIDESPREAD RAIN TO THE AREA. IN ADDITION TO THE RAIN... SIGNIFICANTLY COOLER TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED WITH TEMPERATURES FALLING 10 DEGREES BELOW FRIDAYS READINGS BY SUNDAY.

DEPENDING ON HOW THIS SYSTEM EVOLVES... THERE MAY BE THE POTENTIAL FOR LOCALIZED FLASH FLOODING WITH THE RAINFALL SUNDAY INTO MONDAY. ANYONE LIVING IN OR TRAVELING TO CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN UTAH DURING THIS PERIOD SHOULD CONTINUE TO MONITOR FUTURE FORECASTS OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:58:21 AM by stwheeler »

Offline Slow8

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks.  We are hoping to sneak out there this evening for some pictures.  

Anyone know what time BUB takes 'ownership' of the salt?  

The storm came through the west desert and salt flat area yesterday evening and moved into South Salt Lake County and Utah County last night.  Looking at the map, as long as the storm continues South and East, they shouldn't get more water out there today.    
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:33:31 AM by Slow8 »

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 01:37:39 PM »
How long will the water last?  How hot is it?  How much wind?
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »
Well the wendover port of entry cam not showing any standing water on the ground (that's a good thing)

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/images/slc/camera/loopCams.php?camName=envpoe&numFrames=10

Current temp in wendover 88 deg F, 24% relative humidity and forecast highs the next few days ranging from high 80's to low 90's

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=82&map.y=128&minlon=-115.5&maxlon=-108.5&minlat=36.96&maxlat=42.68&mapwidth=354&site=slc&zmx=1&zmy=1#.Uhefs38d-PY

Offline Texican

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 06:56:45 PM »
Well, troops and troopets, I'm at the Nugget; awaiting our rider to show up so we can get checked in.
About an hour ago, (15:30 MDT), I was at land's end.
The boat ramp was coned off and some puddles visible.
The wind was, I'd guess somewhere in the 30/40knt area; lots of blowing salt in the air, much like fog.  One couldn't see over 1/4-1/2 mile.
Lots of standing water in the borrow pits on both sides and center of I-80.

Only unit parked there was a 27' or so Airstream, locked tight with a Harley parked behind it.
The usual coolers and other equip stored nearby.
A truck turned up and went in, said they had pits and his mates were cowering under tarps.
Hope things shake out for better weather tomorrow.
I'm sure it will; Little Orphan Annie promises so.

Regards,
Jim

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 10:59:17 AM »
Something like "Tomorrow, tomorrow the sun will shine tomorrow ..."

Bon chance everyone,

DW
Wine, no longer just a beverage - now a life style - 3 Steves Winery 2013
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth