Author Topic: Eagle Land Speed Tires needed....  (Read 7503 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Eagle Land Speed Tires needed....
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »
We are looking for a matched pair of Goodyear 28 inch land speed tires (not front runners) for world finals.  Please contact us if you have a pair (PM me).  We would buy these outright.  If you still need tires Goodyear is suppose to make more over the winter but if they didn't we would work with you,

Sumner
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:17:59 PM by Sumner »

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Eagle Land Speed Tires needed....
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
  Sum, just a friendly reminder...... Goodyear Eagle LSR Tires DO have a mounting direction.
  Mount one tire with the serial number facing out (driver side) and one with the serial number facing in (pass side).  This is not the "D" number, but the smaller numbers just above the rim outer edge.
  And just for those of you who want to know, NO the Mickey's are not mono directional, stick em on and go like hell.           Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »
  Sum, just a friendly reminder...... Goodyear Eagle LSR Tires DO have a mounting direction.
  Mount one tire with the serial number facing out (driver side) and one with the serial number facing in (pass side).  This is not the "D" number, but the smaller numbers just above the rim outer edge.
  And just for those of you who want to know, NO the Mickey's are not mono directional, stick em on and go like hell.           Bob

Thanks Bob and that is the way the current tires are mounted.  I think a number of people are not aware of this though so a good thing to remind us of,

Sum

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 09:54:54 AM »
I was certainly not aware of it. Does it say so on the tire?
I also need a 28" Goodyear 2286 tire that we borrowed from some else. Does anybody know where I can get just one brand new one?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
Here is what Carroll Shelby Ent. told me via email

Jim:

The serial number would be on one side of the tire. It would start with the number 5 and be 11 characters long.

Example 5HOV MBO1 A5R

The white tag is the sequence number.

Direction of rotation would be serial number faces to the left on the front and to the right on the rear.

Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »
Jim, I am afraid that what you posted makes no sense at all.  Reread my post above.  It is correct.  The tire doesn't know whether it is on the front or rear and neither does whoever faxed that info too you (they probably have their underwear on backwards).       Bob
Rob, this information is available from  any dealer of Goodyear LSR tires ( not to be confused with Goodyear Drag Race Front Runner dealers such as Jegs or Summit).  The tires do not have a directional arrow. The Code # starting with a D (not to be confused with the Serial #) and is on both sides of the tire. The serial number is right above the tire bead or rim edge and on one side only (D.S. out, P.S. in).    Bob
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:32:35 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline jdincau

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:53:21 PM »
Bob, I am sorry you don't like it but it is a direct quote from the Goodyear tire dealer who sold me the land speed racing tires. Being a drive or non drive tire does affect the direction of rotation for some tires.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 09:26:41 AM »
No dog in this fight.
When my Dunlop vintage racing tires came from Roger Kraus, they were marked with a yellow tire crayon.  LF/RR and RF/LR  it was explained to me that the traction forces on the tire is in the same direction when accelerating Rear, braking Front.
The rubber is wound onto a tire when it is made. The purpose is to turn the tire in the direction it was wound so it is feathering the overlap joint instead of trying to unwind it.
YMMV

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »
The discussions I have had with GY engineers over the years agree perfectly with what Ron has posted.  It does make sense.
Rick

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »
Sum,

Did you find anyone that had those tires? I had a pair of 28 x 10 LSR Eagles on order from Summit and they finally cancelled the order. Not truly necessary right this second but making a new chassis now and it is very helpful to have the right size tires on there.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline maj

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 04:15:09 AM »
Revolutionary
I had some D2286 ordered through Jegs and like you ended up cancelling

Wondered if i should have kept the order standing  ,without interest there would be no production run , and i do still want at least one if not 2