Author Topic: Big Thanks from Stainless and Crew  (Read 20733 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Big Thanks from Stainless and Crew
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:49:05 PM »
I need to thank the SCTA course crews, the Wendover Ambulance Crews and all the folks that have sent PMs, emails, phone calls and text messages  and of course my race crew.
THANKS

I am recovering, no broken bones, no lost parts, just a few bruises, cuts and scrapes.
I will look up the ambulance crew to find out what they drink after hours...

Anyone that thinks the SCTA is too safety conscious and has too many rules... I am why those are there and I am here because we have tough safety rules. 
Doug, thanks for giving the belts that extra tug... Higbee would be proud of you
As I think of more folks to thank, I will.
Thanks again guys for all the good words,
God was watching over me last week,
I am a very lucky guy.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

Re: Big Thanks from Stainless and Crew
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »
We are just happy you are here. Went to Knechts today and Rory had to ignore customers while I gave him my salt rundown :-D He knew of you guys already of course.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:08:54 PM »
Stainless,
I was extremely relieved to hear that your injuries were not life threatening.  I look forward to
seeing you and the crew at WOS in a couple of weeks.
Best regards,
Monte.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 06:23:09 PM »
Stainless; I knew you were made of STEEL....    8-)

Robert, I'm truly glad you are doing well.
As are the others who had mishaps on the salt.

Take care, see you next time.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline xxobuick

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:02:28 PM »
For those of us that do not know what happened, can someone clue me in, so I can learn a bit?  Thanks guys.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 05:54:32 AM »
Stainless,

there was a reason, why my first words of my speech at the 200 MPH banquet was not about my Red Hat, it was about you, the other "victims" and the big thank you to the SCTA/BNI for the today safety standard.

It was great to see at the table with us.

Your inner smile, when you was sitting on our table, was wider than the place where we had the banquet.

After I had seen your flip & flops, you done with the streamliner, in my viewfinder of the camera, I had never thought that you walk so away.

You was more than lucky.

Wish you a full recovery and I'm looking for seeing you and the team at the WoS in a few weeks.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 07:20:32 AM »
Bob, I was floored when John Amo told me what happened! It was a relief to see you show up in the pits, albiet stiff and sore.

I'm glad you guys took such great care to insure your safety equipment was up to par-it's not something you want to test, but if you do, you sure want it to work!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 11:22:07 AM »
Stainless, while I didnt glad the chance to meet you while I was on the salt ( being relatvely new here and not knowing many folks I tend to shy away at times from introducing myself and dont want to bother folks in the lanes ) Im glad you came out of the crash with just bumps and bruises. The 'liner was a beautiful car and one of my favs to see but like anything mandmade it can be replaced, great folks like you can't. Im glad the SCTA has the rules they do in place to keep everybody safe and beacuse of those rules itll give me the opportunity to say hello next year on the salt  :-)

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 11:52:24 AM »
Stainless,
Can you get in and out of Box Car comfortably?
John

Offline paso54

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 12:27:03 PM »
Glad you are ok  8-) Hope we can catch up with you next year when we come over from the UK . Regards Phil "Paso" Steele..

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 02:54:39 PM »
I need to thank the SCTA course crews, the Wendover Ambulance Crews and all the folks that have sent PMs, emails, phone calls and text messages  and of course my race crew.
THANKS

I am recovering, no broken bones, no lost parts, just a few bruises, cuts and scrapes.
I will look up the ambulance crew to find out what they drink after hours...

Anyone that thinks the SCTA is too safety conscious and has too many rules... I am why those are there and I am here because we have tough safety rules. 
Doug, thanks for giving the belts that extra tug... Higbee would be proud of you
As I think of more folks to thank, I will.
Thanks again guys for all the good words,
God was watching over me last week,
I am a very lucky guy.

Stainless called yesterday, was broke down yesterday on West street, only a few blocks away from the house.  He'd broke a fan belt on the old pick up and lost steering.  Managed to keep the thing from endowing or going into a barrel roll.  Seems like to me that practice makes perfect.  Anyway I spent yesterday morning in the hospital getting some aluminum sworfs out of my right eye.  Stainless, with his left eye still blacker than coal, and me with my right eye just out of surgery, managed with one good right and one good left eye between us, got the Honda into the handicapped slot in front of O Reilly's.  Got the needed part, and O Reilly obliged the loaner tools to fix the fan belt.  Used the WOS card to get a good discount on the parts.  Thanks to O Reilly and thanks to the good Lord for sparing Stainless. 

Stainless showed me a few pictures of the yellow car disintegrating.  Unbelievable how anyone survived that.  Someone asked how he got the top of his head cut.  I'll let Stainless explain how he thinks it happened.

See you all at the WOS and the Shootout.

Max

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 03:06:05 PM »

[/quote]

Stainless showed me a few pictures of the yellow car disintegrating.  Unbelievable how anyone survived that.  Someone asked how he got the top of his head cut.  I'll let Stainless explain how he thinks it happened.

See you all at the WOS and the Shootout.

Max
[/quote]

Was thinking the same when I done the picture.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 06:20:19 AM »
I'm glad to hear you are OK, and have a hard head
We were worried over this side of the planet
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
Well wishes keep coming in, THANKS guys, I am amazed every time I look at the pictures Larry and Pork Pie took.  Since I don't remember anything after the canopy left on the way around the second time it is a little like looking at something that happened to somebody else.  But then I breathe and the pain reminds me it was me. 

No, I won't be climbing in the Bockscar at WoS, I'm afraid the straps would make me way more uncomfortable than I already am.  I was only planning on doing the shakedown run anyway, we have a top fuel and funny car driver on the team, he will be doing the driving after his son does the shakedown. 

Expecting to have a bit of rib and chest discomfort for the next month or so.  I am setting up a repeat of the CAT scans, head, neck and spine this week to compare with the emergency room scans that were mailed to my local Dr.  The eye is getting better, starting to see a little white where all the red was, vision was not affected.  Got rid of the vertigo, one of my buds that had been knocked out a lot bike racing said there were exercises to concussion vertigo.  I found them on the internet, got the rocks in my head back in alignment.  Still have a headache, lots of achy parts, most of the bruises are clearing.

I am blessed... I didn't break anything, didn't lose any parts, guess I should have bought a lottery ticket when I left the ER, might not have been fair to the rest of the players  :-D

Jim...  :-D  :cheers:

Thanks again to all
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 12:45:05 PM »
From what I've heard your crash was spectacular. Don't do that again.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ