Author Topic: Big Thanks from Stainless and Crew  (Read 20759 times)

Offline 8pack

Re: Big Thanks from Stainless and Crew
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 02:28:59 PM »
Glad to hear you are feeling better. 1+ for the SCTA and ambulance crews!!!
Redline is a Goal. Not a limit.

Offline CGoodson

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 10:27:36 PM »
Looking forward in shaking down the Bockscar for my father! Never thought in my life that I would be getting a race car ready for my dad! It is an honor to drive for you Bill! Thank you for everything you do for me! Thank you!
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com
hptt:www.facebook.com/corey.goodson
1000 Bockscar Lakester H/BFL Red Hat record 233.119
Currently Building #1177 G&S Roadster H/BFR

Offline Brootal

• New folks
    • the-rumbler.com
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
Glad to hear you're OK, mate. We met at that Mexican restaurant/gas station in town, I was with Davo the photographer.

So... how long before the car is fixed? :)
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »
Stainless, it was great seeing you up and around, and seeing you crawl in and vout of the 'little' car!

After seeing the car, and pics, I'm amazed you've bounced back so fast! :cheers:

Corey, it was great meeting you! Good luck when you do get the chance to drive the car again!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Mr. Steel,

We were both at UU at the same time. I got word that you were there and was going downstairs to say hello when I learn you were already released. I figured what could be more delightful then seeing ME in one of those hospital dresses to cheer a guy up!!!!

LOL

Glad you are OK....

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 10:00:19 PM »
JNuts, someone said if they kept me I would get you for a hospital roomie... I said I was fine... it was time to go...  :-D
Glad you came through yours too, I heard you were knocked sensible... I said naw, don't think so.

Thanks for stopping by Buddy, always enjoy talking with you. 

Brootal, stop by for an ice cream and taco again... not sure what we will do with the leftovers yet.  Say hi to Davo from me... you  both live in the same part of south Texas don't you?                                                                                                                                 
We made it about 180 miles before we got the WoS call. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Brootal

• New folks
    • the-rumbler.com
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »
Brootal, stop by for an ice cream and taco again... not sure what we will do with the leftovers yet.  Say hi to Davo from me... you  both live in the same part of south Texas don't you?                                                                                                                                 

Nah mate, we're on opposite sides of the country, although I'm quite often in touch with him. I'm about to start work on the Bonneville coverage. Davo could only cull his images down to 600 shots!
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 05:43:40 AM »
Quote from: Tom Evans

no sir, he's from much further south than that

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 10:29:04 AM »
Graham, I know you are from that part of south Texas as well... I can tell by the accent  :-D
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
There are two things that REALLY stood out to me, when I visited Stainless.

You guys need to convince Stainless to give you his thoughts and comments on aluminum tanks, and chrome molly.

REALLY!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline bones

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 08:44:38 PM »
Stainless
    Glad you are OK    Might see you hanging out at the Shootout

cheers   Bones

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 09:00:18 PM »
There are two things that REALLY stood out to me, when I visited Stainless.

You guys need to convince Stainless to give you his thoughts and comments on aluminum tanks, and chrome molly.

REALLY!

Stainless, I'd really be interested in what you have to say regarding both subjects.

I'm in the process right now of rewelding an aluminum fuel tank for a funny car that was assembled totally incorrectly and then welded. The resulting welds had no penetration so that the tank had little structural integrity. This is like making a "better sow's ear" out of a "sow's ear". There will be no "silk purses" here. This sort of thing isn't uncommon in most forms of racing.

The selection of materials and how they're assembled for racing purposes is something that not many people understand and anything you can add from your unfortunate first hand experience plus your years of competing on the salt would be a valuable contribution.

Thanks,

Pete

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 08:22:07 AM »
So glad you're up and about after what must have been a frightening experience.  It goes to show how strong and well made these vehicles are and a big hand must go to the tech folk who ensure everything meets the entry conditions.  Big pat on the back for you and the crew for building such a robust bit of kit.

Lennie has been telling everyone that he was able to sit in your car and will be sharing this with his class very soon along with the pictures we took in impound.  Leo has mentioned that she would come back to Speed Week so with any luck we might be back next year and hopefully meet up again.