Author Topic: The Worlds Fastest NIMBUS  (Read 79092 times)

Offline Tman

Re: The Worlds Fastest NIMBUS
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2013, 12:24:15 PM »
Any new updates?

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2013, 07:11:51 PM »
Lars,
I was looking at your frame mock up and thought I should remind you to try to fit a headstock, triple clamps, and forks.  The forks are going to hit the top perimeter tubes on turns. Of course, you don't want or need anymore than 10 or 15 degrees, but turning around can be time consuming if you have less.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2013, 10:12:15 AM »
Hi Lars, that is one fabulous looking bike you're building & it's great that you're learning new crafts. Love the wooden jig, I've been using them for ages. I have also mocked up full frames in wood. They're accurate & easy to modify, & at the end of your frame-build you can put them in your workshop wood burner if you have one.
Much talk about two-bearing cranks, the last bike I worked on with 4 cylinders & 2 bearings was a 1923 Henderson, & it was nowhere near as beefy as yours, plus it had pushrods about as thin as knitting needles to open the valves.
I had to smile when I recognised that white haired eccentric in your pictures, Kim Scholler! Nice bloke, he turned up at my house one day here in the UK, having ridden 120 miles from London on a borrowed bike, & not wearing a crash helmet. When I pointed out to him how highly illegal it was here, he grinned & said "It's OK, I have an excemption certificate from my doctor". I didn't bother explaining that no Police here can read Danish. After several hours shooting the old bullshirt in my workshop, he set off for Birmingham, another 200 miles & still helmetless, to buy an old British Arial Leader, which he was going to ride home to Denmark.
Good luck with the build, Lars, & if there's any way we can help in the UK, just ask.
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2013, 01:39:22 PM »
 :-D I know a Dane that won't ride through a green traffic light without checking first.

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2014, 05:44:08 PM »
Thank you 'desperate' ! You're very kind.

Hello all you good people !
I hope you are all well and fine, in spite of you visiting a lake instead of a Flat a little while back.

I' m not dead ... yet... but life has (again) been..er...roller-coasting, one might say,
and I really didn't want to come here unless I had something to show, and thereby deserve
to take up a chunk of space here.

Now finally, I've got some a bit of stuff to show that I'm still at it.
You guys like pictures, so I'll just shut up and show them and hopefully
you'll let me back in then. Got myself an engine and have started proceeding from there:

...back on track.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »
Wow as always yhour woke is awesome. We have missed your posts and glad to see you back. We all have those up's and downs for sure. Lar's please keep us up to date on the fantastic build.
The rain outs this year on the salt was a bummer for everyone. The dry lake was bad as well except the November meet was great so everyone got in good runs. Good to hear from you. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2014, 05:59:57 PM »
Lars,
That's one fine motorbike you've got there.  When I grow up, I want to build one like that, too!
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2014, 07:15:13 PM »
Almost bought one 10-15 years ago.  It was so cool! 

Glad I didn't do it now.  It wouldn't have held a candle to yours!

Terrific!!  Glad you're back!!!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
it looks really nice, Lars.
the motor looks brand new and the fairing fits well.

Franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »
Wow, Lars.  It is nice to see you back.  I was worried...  That looks like a good bike.  It will sound nice with those four open pipes. 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2014, 12:43:23 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous Lars. Nothing more to say.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2014, 05:21:47 PM »
Speechless here too. :cheers:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2014, 06:16:05 PM »
Lars,
No one will ever accuse you of taking the "easy way out"!!! I love that engine and your bike looks great. Good to see some progress and to hear from you.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2014, 08:19:18 PM »
Great to see the 'artful' progress................last I looked, you were trying to solve the crank/bearing design issue with respect to the potential power output. So WHAT'S INSIDE? :wink:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2014, 06:54:53 PM »
Thank you ever so much for all your very kind words
Glen, Tom, Stan B, Franey, Bo, Peter, Taurock, Rex, Young-Scrambler-Dude !

Thank You!

Glad to be back.

I'll do a proper update later but for now a couple of very belated answers to
a couple of questions here:

Lars,
I was looking at your frame mock up and thought I should remind you to try to fit a headstock, triple clamps, and forks.  The forks are going to hit the top perimeter tubes on turns. Of course, you don't want or need anymore than 10 or 15 degrees, but turning around can be time consuming if you have less.
Tom

Tom; it's been taking care of. I think I posted some pics with a triple clamp on the bike, that I mounted that I
took from a Honda XL500 that I broke up. Found out that it didn't work, for the reason you mentioned.
I'm obviously not the sharpest tool in the kitchen-drawer.
It now sports a HD Sportster front ( Showa forks ) , with plenty of wiggling room:

..in fact I have close to 30 degrees movement to each side

....Your way of doing things is like old school thinking. My dad always told me to make a template first as it's easy to modify and fit. then make the real part. if something happens you already have a template to make another...

Thank you Glen. Yes, I always make templates.. first in cardboard, then in 0.25 mm aluminum which can be
cut with a box-cutter or normal scissors, and is flexible like metal .. THEN the real metal.

Two guys went around to world on their nimbus's. Here is the link: http://kingcroesus.blogspot.com/

They talk about the problems with clutches, heat, etc. and the solutions with info on all the nimbus experts including the 4 speed trans update.

Have fun!  I am reading this!

Geo

Thanks Geo. Yep , I know them guys. They have been visiting my workshop and if all goes well
one of them will come over and crew with me.

Those must be the best looking set of pipes I've ever seen on a bike.....

Ohh, thanks... they are quite cool aren't they. I wonder if there ever was a motorcycle
with "zoomies". There's not a hell of a lot of bikes to do it on. Have I really made an original thing ?
Ha ha ... please don't ya' ever post a pic of someone who has already done it
.-)

Lars,
That's one fine motorbike you've got there.  When I grow up, I want to build one like that, too!
Tom

Thanks Tom.
I do sincerely hope it won't ever happen...the 'grow up' thing, that is
.-)

Great to see the 'artful' progress................last I looked, you were trying to solve the crank/bearing design issue with respect to the potential power output. So WHAT'S INSIDE? :wink:

Inside is a perfectly totally rebuild engine, done by a highly respected 72 year old gentleman,
who has worked on NIMBUS'es for 50 years. He has the most impeccable clean baffling
workshop I have probably ever ever seen. Initially I planned to get a engine and do the rebuild,
more or less, myself ... but it stopped making sense when I was offered this engine.
Sad story really: he rebuild it fora guy who asked him to do EVERYthing, and then he
couldn't/wouldn't pay. The builder , who is a gentleman, let it sit and waited patiently 3 years for him
to pay up. Never happened , so a deal was cut that the builder would be 'allowed' to sell it for the
sole cost of rebuilding it, so as to cover his expenses.
How could I resist this offer ?!
Came with the most baffling meticulous paperwork of all the measurements , tolerances, parts, work he had done etc.
filled out on original old NIMBUS factory/workshop paper-work :

Life is good

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:03:04 PM by octane »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery