Author Topic: 2013 SpeedWeek Kudos and Critiques  (Read 49483 times)

Offline Freud

Re: 2013 SpeedWeek Kudos and Critiques
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2013, 04:01:55 PM »
Since '63

Offline nickleone

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »
As a spectator camping in the Bend I was supprised how clean the potties were.
The few days we spent at the bend ths HB guys were cleaning about 9:30 at night so we had fresh ones in the night and early morning.
Great job to all.

Nick

Offline salt27

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 01:18:51 AM »
Guys,
Thanks for all the feedback - both positive and negative. We can't be everywhere and your perspective is very much appreciated. After all, it's what counts - the racers! Keep it coming.. I might not always chime in, but I do read. Feel free to email me too.

Miriam Macmillan
BNI Chairman

Miriam, It was a delight to hear you on the CB giving direction in the morning  when leaving impound.

Of course every thing is pretty damn nice when you've made it to impound.  :-D

Don

Offline Tman

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 05:25:37 PM »
seriously AGREE strongly...

an SCTA presence....that CARES...big KUDOS

at one point during the SW radio Broadcast...the new guy (not Ron) said ..." if we dont
get something right...there are plenty of people who will get on the internet...go ahead knock
yourself out...I DONT READ THAT stuff..."""

which says ALOT about that person....these are constructive thoughts...and many of them DO matter...

in large part because...guess what...WE are the ones listening...!!!

Yup, gotta know your audience and NOT turn them off!!!!!!!!!!!

I too noticed no pit entry volunteer looking for crew stickers like we had in previous years. Maybe my timing was off and they were there at times?

Offline Mac

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 12:14:21 AM »
No, you were right, they were omitted. I have heard arguments both ways on keeping and ditching them. We would have to patrol both entries (return road and lands end road. Any suggestions?

Wouldn't it me nice to be able to turn away the BLM!  (but I didn't say that).

Miriam

Offline Tman

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »
No, you were right, they were omitted. I have heard arguments both ways on keeping and ditching them. We would have to patrol both entries (return road and lands end road. Any suggestions?

Wouldn't it me nice to be able to turn away the BLM!  (but I didn't say that).

Miriam

Maybe save the bodies and just print up a nice sign for the entry stating "orange pit pass required". I did not notice any more rubberneckers this year than the last few years. Actually seemed like pit traffic was down. I don't think I ran over anyone either!? Turning a large F350 with a 62 Ford pickup on a strap takes up some real estate!

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 08:11:19 AM »
As a first timer to the event maybe me views are a bit different.

First off, a big hand to everyone involved in the event prior to, during and after.  We were only on the salt for 2 days but now understand the shear size of the event and appreciate how much hard work must go in to get this up and running.

Prior to the event I couldn't have hoped for anything better.  The membership was sorted so when we arrived at the salt Lynda knew I had to pick the pin it up from the BMI trailer so we got on the salt with no issues.  First impressions though, loads of cones at the staging area.  Any sort of directions to where we could park would be good.  The last thing I wanted to do was park somewhere I shouldn't and cause any grief.  We couldn't work out what all the cones were for so didn't stop here (typical nervous Brits).

We drove through the pits on our 2nd day and it now seems like we shouldn't have been able to without a crew sticker.  Is there parking by the pits?  Maybe on the outside about halfway down?  Again, any signs would have been good, or maybe we missed then?  During our drive we found Stainless' pit area but they weren't about, then luckily found them in impound.  I also managed to find Slim but only due to the trailer.  Some other folk I was looking for but didn't find and this is my next point.

Is there any way that the SCTA or BNI could have a rough idea of where people are pitted or have contact details?  I asked at both trailers and was told there was no way I could get in touch with any of them.  Even just a rough idea based on a grid system of rows and blocks so spectators have an idea of where people are. 

The announcers seem to be getting a bit of stick.  Personally I find having an announcer of any sort is better than nothing.  At an event like this which is so big it will always be hard to be completely accurate.  However, I enjoyed the coverage as it certainly added to the experience.  With so much going on across all 4 courses it was good to hear what was happening on the courses we couldn't see.

Thats about it from a spectating point of view.  Maybe just a bit more signage to tell us where we can and cannot go, and a bit of direction as to where people are pitted.  A few final points.  Firstly, thanks must go to the tech people for making sure all vehicles are so safe to take part, I guess you guys are not the most welcome people who maybe at times have a thankless task but it ensures the safety of everyone.  To the emergency support, we witnessed a few spins and slides and they all were on the ball right away.  Finally to everyone who took part as we really loved our time over there and will hopefully be back soon.

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
Maybe save the bodies and just print up a nice sign for the entry stating "orange pit pass required". I did not notice any more rubberneckers this year than the last few years. Actually seemed like pit traffic was down. I don't think I ran over anyone either!? Turning a large F350 with a 62 Ford pickup on a strap takes up some real estate!

Good Idea! And put on the sign where the passes are available. This could be a good fund raiser for the SCTA.

Actually a different color pass for spectators that are not connected with a car. And also that would limit those cars to pits and not to return road. There are to many cars on the return road between the pits and the start line.

Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline Tman

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2013, 12:05:56 PM »

Good Idea! And put on the sign where the passes are available. This could be a good fund raiser for the SCTA.

Actually a different color pass for spectators that are not connected with a car. And also that would limit those cars to pits and not to return road. There are to many cars on the return road between the pits and the start line.

That is a great twist to my idea! Orange for crew and support and Yellow? for "civilians" Bump the cost of the yellow ones up $5. Most folks would gladly pay that. It would also let Lynda know who gets the racer lane at lands end and who may still need to pay to get on the salt.

Offline Tman

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »
As a first timer to the event maybe me views are a bit different.

First off, a big hand to everyone involved in the event prior to, during and after.  We were only on the salt for 2 days but now understand the shear size of the event and appreciate how much hard work must go in to get this up and running.

Prior to the event I couldn't have hoped for anything better.  The membership was sorted so when we arrived at the salt Lynda knew I had to pick the pin it up from the BMI trailer so we got on the salt with no issues.  First impressions though, loads of cones at the staging area.  Any sort of directions to where we could park would be good.  The last thing I wanted to do was park somewhere I shouldn't and cause any grief.  We couldn't work out what all the cones were for so didn't stop here (typical nervous Brits).

We drove through the pits on our 2nd day and it now seems like we shouldn't have been able to without a crew sticker.  Is there parking by the pits?  Maybe on the outside about halfway down?  Again, any signs would have been good, or maybe we missed then?  During our drive we found Stainless' pit area but they weren't about, then luckily found them in impound.  I also managed to find Slim but only due to the trailer.  Some other folk I was looking for but didn't find and this is my next point.

Is there any way that the SCTA or BNI could have a rough idea of where people are pitted or have contact details?  I asked at both trailers and was told there was no way I could get in touch with any of them.  Even just a rough idea based on a grid system of rows and blocks so spectators have an idea of where people are. 

The announcers seem to be getting a bit of stick.  Personally I find having an announcer of any sort is better than nothing.  At an event like this which is so big it will always be hard to be completely accurate.  However, I enjoyed the coverage as it certainly added to the experience.  With so much going on across all 4 courses it was good to hear what was happening on the courses we couldn't see.

Thats about it from a spectating point of view.  Maybe just a bit more signage to tell us where we can and cannot go, and a bit of direction as to where people are pitted.  A few final points.  Firstly, thanks must go to the tech people for making sure all vehicles are so safe to take part, I guess you guys are not the most welcome people who maybe at times have a thankless task but it ensures the safety of everyone.  To the emergency support, we witnessed a few spins and slides and they all were on the ball right away.  Finally to everyone who took part as we really loved our time over there and will hopefully be back soon.

Phil, the pits are first come first serve on Thursday morning. After you go one time you will have an idea where most teams pit. It seems to settle into a pattern.

Offline dw230

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
May I suggest that if you are looking forward to meeting/connecting with someone special that you exchange phone numbers or some other form of info prior to the event?

A pit map is almost impossible. The land rush comes in and crews go where they want(most to the front row), they may even change location during the event. It is like pushing a herd of cats on a slack rope.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »
I'll certainly second what Dan said about the land rush for pit area.  In fact -- this year brought a new "issue" about the pits.  For years we've put a rank of toilets at each of the pit entrances -- of which there were four, usually.  Well - with the pits as long as they became in '13 - I got a number of comments (read: Complaints) that the wlk from such and such pit to the nearest toilet was so far.  So for the next year I'll have to try to be more judicious in locating the throne rooms - or the racers will have to either 1: not insist on front row seating so the pits aren't two miles long, or 2: accept a half-mile (or whatever) walk to the potties.

We'll work on it -- but who would've thought that such a problem would arise?

And how does that relate to folks coming for the first time and wondering how to find someone in the pits?  Well, if you've got the chance -- indeed, get a contact phone number to call and find where your intended "host" is located.  And go to the porta-potty before you visit. :wink:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2013, 11:56:06 PM »
The girl who sang the national anthem this year at Speed Week was terrific. It was the best rendition that I've ever heard!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2013, 02:27:48 AM »
The girl who sang the national anthem this year at Speed Week was terrific. It was the best rendition that I've ever heard!

You're right about that Neil, I'd almost forgotten that, I remember thinking how good she was! a rousing start to proceedings. :-D

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2013, 03:22:37 PM »
Have to also add my kudos for the porta potties being maintained very well.  Honey Bucket is doing a great job past few years since they took over.  It was also nice they had 4 (I think?) at the museum site in Wendover for those of use camping out there.

I always listen to the CB and not the radio.  Well, this year CB was useless to hear times and info on which car running.  With no radio, sounds like I did not miss much, but it was really tough not having the info on runs and speeds.  For the obvious question, my old car does not have a radio that could have been used.  Next year will still bring CB, but also radio.

Lands End ran as good as can be, more kudos to the crew there.

Overall, seemed to be less spectators this year and maybe less racers?  Anyone else notice this?
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com