Author Topic: 2013 SpeedWeek Kudos and Critiques  (Read 49475 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: 2013 SpeedWeek Kudos and Critiques
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »
Just a few thoughts about Speed Week 2013:

1. The HB toilets were a very welcome change from the previous vendor. They were clean, serviced regularly, and kept supplied with TP, etc.

2. As pointed out by others, the radio broadcast was not up to the previous years' standards. Frankly, this broadcast is for providing information, not entertainment. If it can be both, so much the better but the primary purpose should not be sacrificed for an attempt to be "entertaining". And yes, Glen was far better at giving us the info we were looking for.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 12:43:04 PM »
Before I was the toilet guy it was J D Tone, and the issues you're mentioning about the previous vendor aren't his fault in any way.  Mike Waters and I came up with the idea of pumping extra times, knowing it'd cost additional but we wanted to be rid of overflowing units.  JD had to work with a much smaller budget and a vendor that was okay - but not nearly as accommodating as HB.  Mike and I also decided to station units at the Bend in the Road - to the very great happiness of the folks camping there.

Nancy makes up the "Women only" signs at home -- prints and laminates them, then takes 'em to the salt with us.  That started when the ladies in the SCTA trailers asked for one unit of their own and they labeled it.  Since then -- we take about 5-8 "women only" labels.  And this year she also made a batch that said "Private Rental" so that when you had gone to the hassle and expense to rent one for your pit - you weren't the subject of lots of tourists stopping by to use it - and then cursing you when they found it locked.  They could read the sign from 20 feet away and turn around before getting in hearing distance of you.

As for aim -- well, Monte, that's your bailiwick.  No more shall I say. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimwebb

• Nuts Racing Home
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 02:35:57 PM »
Jim, I am part of the yblock Guy #416 Team and have been running on your D record for 3 years. We would love to meet you guys and serve you some tainted beef some day so as to help our efforts! :-D

Really, I would love to meet you guys. Trent :cheers:

Hey Trent, you guys are always welcome to stop by. We usually pit on the back row, as close to pit in as we can get. Or, you can just look for us in impound  :-D. Since you're in SD, it probably isn't feasible to meet up off the salt, but if you ever travel to the Houston area, drop me a line. I hope you serve the tainted beef with a rich gravy, as we are suckers for anything with gravy.
The Big Red Truck From Texas
Chock Full O' Nuts
Record Holder AA/PP A/PP B/PP C/PP D/PP (Oops, Larry got this one!) E/PP

Offline Tman

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 07:02:41 PM »
Jim, I am part of the yblock Guy #416 Team and have been running on your D record for 3 years. We would love to meet you guys and serve you some tainted beef some day so as to help our efforts! :-D

Really, I would love to meet you guys. Trent :cheers:

Hey Trent, you guys are always welcome to stop by. We usually pit on the back row, as close to pit in as we can get. Or, you can just look for us in impound  :-D. Since you're in SD, it probably isn't feasible to meet up off the salt, but if you ever travel to the Houston area, drop me a line. I hope you serve the tainted beef with a rich gravy, as we are suckers for anything with gravy.

I can make a mean gravy!  And the toilets were awesome this year! Best I have seen in the last 3 years, never found a stinky one. Not that I was looking :-D

Offline Jodar

• New folks
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
Decided to do a bit of "hear hear" piling on - this was my fifth event and have to say it keeps getting better. I firmly hold the belief that Bonneville Is Magic.

Appreciated the much-improved portapotty situation - kudos --

Appreciated the efforts of the volunteers that keep things going. There would be no show without them -- Thanks guys and gals, I really mean this.

As always, I appreciated the enthusiasm of Landsendlynda and her gang. I doubt if I could deal with us grumpy caffeinated racers so gracefully before sunrise every day.

If there is anything I would change, it would be reining back the four-wheelers that seem to think speed limits in the pits - and common driving courtesy - are for others.

Permitting the general population into the pits was overall okay with me, and in fact this provided opportunities for non-participants to get a good look at the nuts-and-bolts operation of our fine sport.

Fine show top to bottom - see ya next year

Offline 8pack

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 05:06:47 PM »
I would like to thank the El Mirage Ladies Auxiliary. Their help and understanding was greatly appreciated. What a great group!!! Thanks again.
Redline is a Goal. Not a limit.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
8pack, the EMLA is a well-known institution in land speed racing.  They aren't in the public eye much -- but as you've discovered, they appear and offer help when your mind is on a crash or something.  That's why I've put a note about them on the home page of this site.  I also commend - and note - the Utah Motorsports Foundation.  To all of you folks on the Forum -- think about sending some $$ to both of these groups, and hope they never find the need to send some back to you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:32 PM »
Critiques I have none.  Kudos I have a ton.  Great event period.  As I only ran the short course I can't say enough good things about Buddy, Jeff and Nathan.  They kept things moving at a very good pace.  Waiting time was minimal.  Except for one occasion when some parts were on the course.  Clean toilets.  There was only one thing missing.  Speed from my sidecar.  Just barely enough but i could have done with a lot more.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »
You did bump an established, strong record.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 01:02:02 PM »

I had to bump it.  There were none on sale that day.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »

I had to bump it.  There were none on sale that day.

:-o :-o :-o

Ron Cohn plugged in his IPOD at El Mirage to provide background music over the FM broadcast so that you would know it is still on the air.
The technical side was terrible. I refreshed the page a zillion times because it kept cutting out, and an equal amount just because of dead air and you couldn't tell.
Having another microphone outside pointing toward the track so the vehicle can be heard would be great. I can almost smell the nitro fumes when I hear a V8 pulling hard.

Keeping track of the runs is difficult for the announcer. I announced for a while at El Mirage (or is it Elmiraj like the new Cadillac?) Once you get the vehicle number you have hundreds of pages to thumb through to figure out the details. Bill Guzenski was a great announcer because he knew everybody, and that's the point, isn't it. Vin Sculley isn't looking up details, because he knows every player. The announcer at Bonneville (Glen) should be as knowledgeable.

It wouldn't hurt to recap the last 15 minutes of runs. Just because it was announced once doesn't mean you didn't garble it, or that everyone heard it.

It probably wouldn't hurt to put a tall flag on the porta potties to give them more visibility. Cause when you need one, you REALLY need one.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2013, 06:27:51 PM »
I really liked the line that spectators could not pass when you were about to make run.  Its fine when your sitting around waiting but when its time to go, you need your space.

It seamed to me that there were many more people driving around the pits just looking and not paying attention, there was nobody manning the pit entrance like years before.

When a car pulled off early on course one, crew and officials would all pull up next to the car so that now it was a 6 wide thing you had to drive around and push your car around, officials and crew pull up behind the car.  unless it a emergency of course..  This is something that will just have to be coached about for years...

Really good event all and all...  Thanks to all those who help make it happen...

Offline Mac

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 12:17:50 AM »
Guys,
Thanks for all the feedback - both positive and negative. We can't be everywhere and your perspective is very much appreciated. After all, it's what counts - the racers! Keep it coming.. I might not always chime in, but I do read. Feel free to email me too.

Miriam Macmillan
BNI Chairman

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2013, 11:43:46 AM »
I would like to comment on the importance of the last post.

It has been a very rare occurrence that any official voice of SCTA/BNI has posted here.

Miriam! Kudos on a great job.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline joea

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2013, 03:38:25 PM »
seriously AGREE strongly...

an SCTA presence....that CARES...big KUDOS

at one point during the SW radio Broadcast...the new guy (not Ron) said ..." if we dont
get something right...there are plenty of people who will get on the internet...go ahead knock
yourself out...I DONT READ THAT stuff..."""

which says ALOT about that person....these are constructive thoughts...and many of them DO matter...

in large part because...guess what...WE are the ones listening...!!!