Author Topic: 2013 SpeedWeek Kudos and Critiques  (Read 49486 times)

Offline jimwebb

• Nuts Racing Home
2013 SpeedWeek Kudos and Critiques
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:16:50 PM »
SpeedWeek was awesome. We had a great time even though we couldn't back up our qualifying run and ended up breaking in impound (fer cryin' out loud). The good news is we broke it in warm up, and not on the course which was good.
I offer kudos... first to all the volunteers for setting up and running a great event. The four courses are the bees knees and it is soooooo good to get to run w/o frying in the sun for 4-6 hours beforehand. We ran combo course 2 and with all four courses running, it is a dream compared to previous 2 or 3 course events. So, good on you all for awesomeness on making the passes happen!
Kudos for Miriam for talking everyone out of impound. We were fortunate to leave impound on Monday morning and even though we knew we had issues, the instructions on where to go and what to do were priceless.
Heck, even the tech inspectors were nice to us this year.
The course that we ran (2) was in good shape even though we only ran to the 3, I drove to the 4 and it was fine. The recon run showed it a bit choppy after the 4, but compared to last year, there was no comparison. So Kudos to STS and all the course prep folks.
Two critiques....
1. The FM broadcast was terrible. We turned it off for the most part since car numbers, classes and speeds were garbled or confused at best. Whoever the former pro baseball announcer was was awful. Please just bring back Glen and make him talk FM. The split between FM/CB for news/management worked great, but the FM content was very bad.
2. Where were the porta potties? I drove 1.5 miles of pits and saw 2 (or maybe 3) clusters of porta potties. Way too far to hike in either direction for us. Is it the new paradigm that each team must hire their own private privy?
Again, thanks to all SCTA-BNI folks for a great meet and maybe next year we'll give up one hotel room to rent a loo.
The Big Red Truck From Texas
Chock Full O' Nuts
Record Holder AA/PP A/PP B/PP C/PP D/PP (Oops, Larry got this one!) E/PP

Offline 1leg

Re: 2013 SpeedWeek Kudos and Critiques
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:47:53 PM »
This was my first Bonneville trip. I didn't have any issue with the FM or CB, but what would i know i have never been there before. I would agree the information was not consistent but seemed to get better thru the week.

The only thing I would recommend is a few Wheel chair accessible Porta-potties. The only one I saw was up at course 1 starting line.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline jimwebb

• Nuts Racing Home
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:58:30 PM »
I forgot... another Kudo. The brown envelope pre-printed for pre-entries explaining what to do at each step was also very useful. This was our 14th year on the salt with the truck and those instructions were very welcome!
Chock Full O' Nuts

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 11:28:13 PM »
Is it the new paradigm that each team must hire their own private privy?

I will say this:

I had a porta potty brought to our pit.  I dropped the money for it and the clean-out.

When I told my wife that we had a private porta potty in the middle of nowhere where strangers wouldn't be able to walk in and pee all over the rim, I knew I was off the hook for forgetting our anniversary, or forgetting flowers on Valentines Day, or bringing back the wrong tampons from the grocery store.  

A little blue water goes a L O N G  W A Y .  :wink:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:41:08 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »
Ok, my turn!!!

All you racers were AWESOME this year!!!  You were patient in a verrrry looong line of waiting and most of you waited for me to pull you out of line to go IN the EXIT when all 3 lanes were clogged with spectators waiting to pay to get in!!!  I also want to thank you for not following the officials when they came up the outside with their hazzard lights flashing!!!  I know it was a tough decision for you to wait in line instead of following them, but there can be no racing if the officials are stuck in line!!!

I wish we had freeway width roads going in, but since we don't, we have to work with what we've got....a narrow 2-lane road not built for 3-5,000 vehicles headed for the same place at the same time!!

Anyway, just wanted to thank all of you for your patience, understanding, and awesomeness!!!!

Love you all!!!

Lynda

Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »
Is it the new paradigm that each team must hire their own private privy?

I will say this:

I had a porta potty brought to our pit.  I dropped the money for it and the clean-out.

When I told my wife that we had a private porta potty in the middle of nowhere where strangers wouldn't be able to walk in and pee all over the rim, I knew I was off the hook for forgetting our anniversary, or forgetting flowers on Valentines Day, or bringing back the wrong tampons from the grocery store.  

A little blue water goes a L O N G  W A Y .  :wink:

Never used....because...they couldn't reach the handle...... :roll:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »
Never used....because...they couldn't reach the handle...... :roll:

That was funny PorkPie! I laughed out loud.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 03:35:20 PM »
I think I hear my name being called.  Since I'm the POPP (Potentate of Porta Potties) - I'm the one that can respond to the comments (other than asking one of the SCTA elected officers to do it).

We had about 75 SCTA-rented "regular" toilets this year -- the same as last year.  There were also three ADA (handicapped accessible) units - one at the #1/#2 start line, one by the vendor area (near registration/inspection/impound), and one at the very beginning of the pits hard by the driveway between inspection and registration.  I can understand the potential for wanting another one further down the pits and will try to remember to pass on that comment.

We station toilets at every entrance to the pits - having done so for quite a few years.  This year the pits, when Nancy and I arrived on Tuesday - were quite a bit longer than last year (1 1/4 miles in '12).  Therefore we ended up with much longer spaces between units in the pits (which quantity of entrances was four, including the registration end).  We did also put a few units just past the end of the pits - for spectators.  We prepare the bid request in November and let the contract (including the number of units) in February or so, and back then I don't know anything about whether the pits will be longer than before.  Again -- your comments are good and I'll try to see that they're considered for future events.

Now the other side:  The organisation spends well over $10,000 or so to provide toilets, so adding more isn't just as simple as asking for more. The cost has to be considered.  I am the one that has campaigned for "private" rentals - and it has cut down on the number of folks that come to our pit with complaints about how far it is to their nearest toilet.  This year we had that above-mentioned 40, last year it was about 20, and in the years before than only a few.  Racers/teams contact me of JoAnn (SCTA secretary) or go directly to Trevor Inman, the Honey Buckets manager, to make arrangements.  All JoAnn and I do is refer calls to Trevor, by the way.  For what it's worth, he keeps an eye on usage of various units -- to help us fine-tune the locations and the numbers of units.

That's enough of this cr*p for now.  I'll watch this space for further comments.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1leg

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »

We had about 75 SCTA-rented "regular" toilets this year -- the same as last year.  There were also three ADA (handicapped accessible) units - one at the #1/#2 start line, one by the vendor area (near registration/inspection/impound), and one at the very beginning of the pits hard by the driveway between inspection and registration.  I can understand the potential for wanting another one further down the pits and will try to remember to pass on that comment.

I stand corrected, I apologize. I swear I looked but did not see the other 2 ADA potties, I never asked anyone either.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline salt27

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:42 PM »
A big thanks to the porta potty crew.

They were cleaner than the restrooms that we encountered in town and I thought they were dispersed about right.

Don

Offline jimwebb

• Nuts Racing Home
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »
Jon,
Nothing personal, for sure. From my (dis)advantage point about 200 yds down the back row of the pits, I could only barely see the pod o' potties near the pit/tech area. It wasn't till I drove through the pits after we broke all our junk that I spotted any others. Normally, we are in between two banks of potties which makes for an equidistant hike, bike or drive. But this year, I really didn't see any others till the pit drive and I didn't see that many. Of course, that may be because the middle row turned into three or four; but I wasn't able to eyeball anymore on Thursday when we got there.
If private potties are the wave of the future, perhaps you can give us a baseline estimate to enter into our Speed Week expenses and we can 'pool' with the neighbors. Till then, I'll reserve a "Used Beer" jug.
P.s. I know you've herded potties for a long time, and I respect your work.
Chock Full O' Nuts

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »
There're pluses and minuses on pitting near the potties.  All depends on how the wind blows . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 08:00:06 PM »
Jim, I'd have to dig back to before SW '13 happened to get confirmation of these prices, but they're close enough for now.  Remember that this is for SpeedWeek -- shorter events might be charged differently.

Rental of the unit, including drop off at the salt and pickup after the event:  $95.00
Per cleaning (pumping out the used blue stuff, washing out, restocking toilet paper and hand disinfectant):  $15.00 each time.  The renter gets to decide how many times he wants the unit cleaned (i.e. once a day, once every two or three or four days, once a week/ once an event - whatever).  As you probably have read while in one of 'em, the units are designed to have capacity for a ten-person crew working a 40 hour week.  Extrapolate your crew's use of the unit from that estimate to come up with your own.

I don't remember the cost of a sink (water, soap, paper towels, refilling/cleaning), but I think I heard they're $40/event.  That one I'm very hazy on, but I could get you the exact number if you really want me to do so.

As for you not being near enough to any toilets to see 'em from your pit - go back two or three posts and note that I've promised to alert SCTA to the situation about the pits being so big that there are times when racers and their crews are not near enough to even see units from their pit.  I assume you did see that -- I'm just restating it so the casual observer doesn't think I'm trying to get off without any work.

I see that Stan Back has posted a comment about the potties and the wind blowing the fragrance toward the racer's pit, but I'll say that that shouldn't be a problem these days, what with Honey Bucket's pretty good cleaning of 'em.  We had one in our pit.  It was used by us and neighboring crews, and never had much beside the aroma of fresh blue liquid.  It didn't get heavy use -- but it also didn't stink.  It was about 25 feet or maybe a bit less from our tarp/trailer.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »
Just trying a little humor.  Very little.  The maintenance was superb!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jimwebb

• Nuts Racing Home
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 09:04:02 PM »
A TEN person crew working 40 HRS a week??? I love my guys, but do you actually know any of these mythical people? Perhaps they hang around the Speed Demon! LOL. At $100/ a pot (pop), hell, even my wife might come back. With the 'Used Beer' jug, I was able to measure output and was amazed at the low volume. But, hey... I'm just one man!
Stan... you are funny, but sometimes the wafting odor of the blue water is somehow comforting.
And, as another kudo (lest you think I am all negative), the quality of the Porta-Loos has increased dramatically over the last few years, even if they are hard to find!
Chock Full O' Nuts